PDA

View Full Version : Crash bobbins

mickj
08-02-2019, 01:57 PM
I am on the hunt for a full set of crash bobbins and have found 3 sites that produce them for the M1200.
Evotech, R&G and jbbikerbits. I have used jb fork bobbins before but their frame guards only have one fixing point which passes right through to both sides unlike the other two which have two fixings. Has anyone has a crash with single point crash bobbins? did they cause any other damage (frame/engine) or did they do the business

Zimbo
08-02-2019, 02:41 PM
I've used the R&G ones for the old style (carb) monsters and crashed multiple times on them (track use). they mount to a steel bar right through the engine and frame, replacing one of the engine to frame fixing bolts. They performed very well and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them - even crashed at 100mph+ once and they protected the tank and frame well. Had to replace the nylon bobbin a couple of times, but over 6 or 7 crashes they were brilliant.
I've used other, cheaper ones in the past and they have been fairly poor, so personally I would stick to R&G.

Pedro
08-02-2019, 03:27 PM
Go with the Evotech parts, excellent quality

S4R Dude
09-02-2019, 07:32 AM
R & G, never crashed the bike but i like the fitting and they look very good!

s4rmark
09-02-2019, 09:51 AM
Evotech are the way to go , superior quality to anything else.

Luddite
09-02-2019, 11:35 AM
I've never fitted crash protection but I can vouch for Evotech's quality and customer service - excellent on both counts.

I've not tried R&G stuff myself but there's a section in this week's MCN about them, which may give you some more information. It's basically a reprint of this old Bennetts article:

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/news-and-views/features/product/inside-the-british-motorcycle-industry---rg