PDA

View Full Version : East Anglian Solstice meet?

Mr Gazza
04-11-2018, 12:37 PM
It's traditional for friends to have a celebratory meal in the Mid-Winter.

Who would be up for a gathering round a table in December/January?

My first thought would be to have this at Arbuckle's American Diner at Downham Market.
Time of day and date is as yet unplanned.

Motorcycles not essential, partners and family welcome.

Kingfisher88
12-11-2018, 07:27 PM
Might be up for it but with new puppy at home probly won't be able to bring the Mrs, as she'll have to be looking after it...

Grumpy
12-11-2018, 11:39 PM
I'm game......

Mr Gazza
18-11-2018, 06:36 PM
I'm getting more positive reactions to this idea now, so it's probably time to flesh it out a bit more.

Sat 22nd and Sun 23rd would be nice and close to the original concept of the Solstice meal, but I'm guessing that most will be peaking on the headless chicken (or Turkey) act that seems de rigour at this time of year?

I'm thinking 16th/17th or 8th/9th as options and would suggest a Saturday evening or Sunday lunch time as choices. Obviously not going to be a time to suit everybody, but we can narrow it down.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Moco1961
18-11-2018, 07:17 PM
I'm game......

................not wise thing to own up to at this time of year !:chuckle::chuckle::chuckle::chuckle:

Darkness
18-11-2018, 07:41 PM
................not wise thing to own up to at this time of year !:chuckle::chuckle::chuckle::chuckle:

The things you see when you don't have your gun with you........?

Grumpy
18-11-2018, 08:17 PM
I'm getting more positive reactions to this idea now, so it's probably time to flesh it out a bit more.

Sat 22nd and Sun 23rd would be nice and close to the original concept of the Solstice meal, but I'm guessing that most will be peaking on the headless chicken (or Turkey) act that seems de rigour at this time of year?

I'm thinking 16th/17th or 8th/9th as options and would suggest a Saturday evening or Sunday lunch time as choices. Obviously not going to be a time to suit everybody, but we can narrow it down.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Sunday the 16th of Dec works for me, are we still thinking Arbuckles?

Grumpy
18-11-2018, 08:17 PM

I'm game all year round!!!:chuckle::chuckle::chuckle:

Mr Gazza
18-11-2018, 08:28 PM
Yes, still thinking Arbuckles as it's nicely located for a big area, probably carries the same menu through the silly season and shouldn't be too difficult to book a large table at short notice.

The things you see when you don't have your gun with you........?

Did you hear the one about the pheasant who bought a bullet proof vest and got shot up the arse?

Kingfisher88
24-11-2018, 05:07 PM
Arbuckles sounds good :)

Goldstar
10-12-2018, 09:09 PM
Has a definitive date/venue been decided yet ?

Mr Gazza
10-12-2018, 11:29 PM
Has a definitive date/venue been decided yet ?

Short answer Mel, is no!

I'm one of those people who thinks December should be banned...Just scrap it and move on! I'm up to my neck in people who want the World finished and delivered before the apocalypse in the last week of the month!!! :nash:

So to hell with it... Let's do it on Sun Dec 23rd at 12 noon at Arbuckle's.

I know it won't suit everyone, but consider it an escape from the madness. Hope to see you there.. Just to lay some ground rules. No one is to mention the C word or wish me a happy anything...Okay? :thumbsup:

alan c
11-12-2018, 12:45 PM
Short answer Mel, is no!

I'm one of those people who thinks December should be banned...Just scrap it and move on! I'm up to my neck in people who want the World finished and delivered before the apocalypse in the last week of the month!!! :nash:

So to hell with it... Let's do it on Sun Dec 23rd at 12 noon at Arbuckle's.

I know it won't suit everyone, but consider it an escape from the madness. Hope to see you there.. Just to lay some ground rules. No one is to mention the C word or wish me a happy anything...Okay? :thumbsup:

you miserable *** :biggrin:

Nice Solstice

Mr Gazza
11-12-2018, 05:37 PM
Thanks Alan same to you... :chuckle:

Right.. I have a plan and it's called Dexit. Basically this is the abolition of December.

So November will be given an extra day to make 31 days and keep the Solstice on the 21st. Then it's straight into January and the new year.
10 days each will be added to June, July and August to make up for the loss of a month.

Anyone who's birthday falls in December will no longer grow old and could live forever, or could opt to choose a new birthday on a day of their choice.

The two, now redundant, bank holidays in December, will be moved to June 21st and November 21st... The Summer and Winter Solstices.

When the Gazzorian calendar commences, it will be a good opportunity to abolish any other religious bank holidays that have long since lost their meaning and significance, such as Easter. Instead of floating about randomly according to some ecclesiastical mumbo jumbo, the two days holiday will be moved to March 20th and August 34th. The Equinoxes.
The August bank holiday would be at the beginning of the month rather than the end, to celebrate the end of the now mechanised harvest.
School holidays could be evened out to the same degree, as the long Summer holidays were part of school children being required to help with the harvest. This no longer happens and would be regarded as child exploitation now, so generally shorter terms could be had, with longer holidays between.
Also no more buggering around with the clocks...Backwards and forwards... Just one time all the time.

Obviously needs a bit of polish, but I think it's pretty much sorted.. To be implemented in 2020... Vote for Gazza...:mand:

mickj
12-12-2018, 10:01 AM
Gets my vote. :thumbsup:

Kingfisher88
20-12-2018, 09:46 PM
See you there :) hopefully I Won't be raining so I can get the bike out

Mr Gazza
20-12-2018, 11:01 PM
Don't you get the bike out if you are raining??

Looks like a dead cert for rain on Sunday!

There's a chance I may not make this one depending how Saturday goes... Hopefully will see you there.

Mr Gazza
22-12-2018, 11:47 AM
Not my best bit of organising on this one. :confused:
I may have to turn my Cat Herd's badge in!

So, hope to see anyone who can make it to Arbuckle's tomorrow at Noon.

Arbuckle's American Diner, Downham Market. 12 noon, 23rd Dec.

Kingfisher88
22-12-2018, 07:03 PM
I'm still debating on taking the bike, I don't mind getting this one wet. But might be in a lil blue van :)

Mr Gazza
23-12-2018, 04:21 PM
Splendid to see Kingfisher, Dacs, Frances, Grumpy and Capo today.
Dacs almost broke the rules with a greetings card, but it was okay. A nice picture of Stonehenge and any offensive words obliterated on the inside.. Top marks.

I have stood in the middle of the circle on the morning of the Summer solstice and seen the Sun crest the heel stone. Never let anyone tell you there is no such thing as Cosmic energy.

What a smashing meeting, like a shaft of light in the greyness! Great banter and company. Thank you all.

Anyone up for a ride to Walcott on Boxing day?

Kingfisher88
23-12-2018, 06:10 PM
Was great to see everyone, I'd love to ride to Walcott on boxi g day :) but have to see the in-laws...

Grumpy
23-12-2018, 10:46 PM
Good to meet up with everyone , excellent banter as always.
I'm seeing me dad on boxing day, so will bow out.