PDA

View Full Version : steering damper kit for S4

jerry
08-09-2018, 07:31 PM
am going to take the plunge and do something I swore I would never do,,,, and fit a steering damper kit to the S4 as at 130mph i still get bar wobble ,,,,, problem is cant afford Matris , Hyperpro or Ohlins kits so
can anyone reccomend a cheaper alternative I dont mind bar mount or frame to fork type

my bike has 996 forks which I believe are 53mm diameter for clamp

I did find this and they say they have kit for S4

https://mtp-racing24.com/Steering-Damper-with-Mounting-Kit-for-Ducati-Monster-696-796?curr

stopintime
08-09-2018, 10:19 PM
Was there a thread where we tried to convince you otherwise? ;) (woble is not an issue on a well maintained and well set up Monster)

Anyway - if this really somehow is an actual fix.... at least get the purse snatcher. It's so enormously much better than bar mounted ones.

Jez900ie
09-09-2018, 08:01 AM
Was there a thread where we tried to convince you otherwise? ;) (woble is not an issue on a well maintained and well set up Monster)

Anyway - if this really somehow is an actual fix.... at least get the purse snatcher. It's so enormously much better than bar mounted ones.

Purse snatcher?

Darren69
09-09-2018, 12:32 PM
Purse snatcher?

Damper fitted to frame and fork leg is otherwise known as.

If you have the standard S4 top clamp and bolt on bars then that option may be the best one as its messy and a bit weird and probably impossible to find a damper that will fit the S4 yoke setup other than the standard DP kit option, the more standard S4R setup gives more options.

However I would suggest that you save up for a better quality damper such as a Hyperpro as they really do work very well, cheaper ones will probably damp a bit but will make the steering heavy. The s/hand Hyperpro I fitted to my 748 is really good much better than the standard unit and only really comes into action if the bars move quickly, otherwise you can't tell its there.

If you have S4R setup then you may have more options available.

Sprint Dampers in Notts used to do kits for Monsters and are supposedly good quality but I don't see anything on their website now other than current superbikes but maybe worth giving them a call?

jerry
10-09-2018, 01:27 PM
The S4 is much modified ,, Ohlins Prcs64 rearshock, Ktech valves and ohlins 8.5nm springs in 996 forks front ,M900 yokes and riser with Fat bars ,, Handles fantastic compared to original only the speed wobble above 120mph is an issue ,, have been tuning it for 4 years with this setup and never got rid of the wobble , changed geometry, tyres, pressures ,, so why not fit steering damper is my thinking ??

stopintime
10-09-2018, 03:19 PM
The S4 is much modified ,, Ohlins Prcs64 rearshock, Ktech valves and ohlins 8.5nm springs in 996 forks front ,M900 yokes and riser with Fat bars ,, Handles fantastic compared to original only the speed wobble above 120mph is an issue ,, have been tuning it for 4 years with this setup and never got rid of the wobble , changed geometry, tyres, pressures ,, so why not fit steering damper is my thinking ??

Something is wrong and the fix isn't a steering damper. If you've been chasing this problem for years I must sound harsh and brutal, but I speak the truth.... don't I?

jerry
10-09-2018, 04:06 PM
Something is wrong and the fix isn't a steering damper. If you've been chasing this problem for years I must sound harsh and brutal, but I speak the truth.... don't I?

True ,, not harsh ,, thing is many S4 and s4r owners have commented over the years that they tend to wobble a bit at high speed ,, i have also put taper roller bearings in Head as the old balls were a bit rubbish..

the only other possibility is the Fat bars as they are wide and when the bike had narrow bars or the original S4 clip on type it did not head shake at 120mph ,

thimnk i may try the old bars again too ,,, i can get a hyperpro Low mount kit for S4 for £350

stopintime
10-09-2018, 06:24 PM
My S2R is 'comfortably' stable at 145. Detailed geometry work, good suspension and most/all parts in good condition.

Maybe not important, but I have fairing stabilizers (works really well) plus clip ons on risers. Not forgetting really light wheels. Aha - that must be it - get a pair of BSTs !!!

Darren69
10-09-2018, 07:39 PM
It may be masking a problem by fitting a damper, I can't say for sure since my Foggy has the DP/Gubilinni one fitted as standard (and it seems to work ok but not as good as the Hyperpro one) and on the very few occasions I have actuallu been 130 there has been no issues. On an unfaired bike it could be the your body shape and air flow causing the wobble, I know that a naked bike is hard work at that sort of speed anyway so anything can affect the handling.