PDA

View Full Version : Ethanol treatment?

vanvan
13-08-2018, 01:49 PM
Hi everyone,
Hope you are enjoying the season!

My monster 695 fuel tank has expanded again due to the nasty ethanol in petrol. After expanding last year it shrunk back over the winter with no fuel in the tank. However I noticed last week some expansion is evident again :(

I am considering using an ethanol fuel treatment, this is used by mixing it when hoping up with fuel. Amazon is listing a product called Lucas safeguard ethanol fuel treatment. Has anyone had any experience in using ethanol treatments for modern engines? Will it make any difference to the tank expansion?

Cheers.

mickj
13-08-2018, 02:22 PM
Why not just switch to Esso super unleaded, it's ethanol free.

vanvan
13-08-2018, 05:31 PM
I only have access to a BP and Shell garage where i am based, have been using Shell v-power for year but they must introduced 5% in their v-power since last year hence the expansion in my fuel tank. BP ultimate is also 5% ethanol.

utopia
13-08-2018, 06:19 PM
Have you seen this thread ?
Probably doesn't answer your question (I didn't re-read it all though) but contains interesting stuff.

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=54542&highlight=ethanol+content

jerry
13-08-2018, 07:40 PM
Shell V power has always had 5% ethanol in for last 9 years BP 97 also mostly non ethanol depending which part of UK

Esso 97 is best

in some countries like Thailand and USA the ethanol content10% , and its aweful stuff ,10% less power , less economy and mileage and engine and tank damage

Flip
13-08-2018, 08:12 PM
Shell V power has always had 5% ethanol in for last 9 years BP 97 also mostly non ethanol depending which part of UK

Esso 97 is best

in some countries like Thailand and USA the ethanol content10% , and its aweful stuff ,10% less power , less economy and mileage and engine and tank damage

Yep V Power is the Devils' P155- it wrecked the composite tank on my race bike seven years ago so definitely had Ethanol in it back in 2011.

I used BP Super after that but the damage was done and a shiny new alloy tank the only solution but it still seemed to rot through the inlet rubbers every season.

France and Belgium have SP95/E10: Mixture of 95-octane gasoline/petrol (90%) with ethanol (10%).

E85 (Super Ethanol): A mixture of ethanol (70% to 85%) and gasoline/petrol (essence) (15% to 30%, depending on the season). This fuel may not be suitable for most gasoline/petrol-powered cars or motorcycles.

The French Government have this to say:

Not all cars or motorcycles are designed to use fuels containing ethanol, an alcohol derived from plants. Engine components, hoses, and instruments on cars more than a few years old, in particular, may not be designed to have contact with alcohol and may suffer progressive deterioration if fuelled with ethanol-containing fuels for an extended period.

Further to this they maintain a website but (in typical French style) without actually saying what you can do about it other than 'Sans Plomb 98' is the highest octane available.

I've no idea if it is Ethanol free though but it definitely isn't just plastic tanks that will suffer- it's all the other rubber and plastic parts in the fuel system- they just might take a little longer to show it.

SunEye
14-08-2018, 09:09 AM
You may want to consider lining your tank to prevent it expanding. Caswell make products designed for this http://www.caswelleurope.co.uk/fuel-tank-sealing-kits/ I have not personally used it, but have seen it mentioned on forums.