PDA

View Full Version : What tyres for my 900 Monster

small boy
13-03-2004, 08:42 PM
Hi,need to replace my tyres on my 900dark,any advice on make/type/size etc would be very helpful?????
Cheers
Smallboy

Chris
13-03-2004, 09:01 PM
It's up to personal taste really. Most tyres seem to suit the monster from what I'v heard. I run Metzeler Sportstec M1's 120/70 front 180/55 rear and like them, they have been OK on track days and seem good on the road, rears last about 3k miles.

Standard rear would be a 170 (check you manual to make sure) which I understand make the buke turn in a bit quicker due to its narrower width. If you've got no personal preference I'd shop around and buy on price. Busters are advertising the Metzellers for £150 or Bridgestones for £170.

Don't tell me you have a M900 and a S4R though! Very nice.

DavidT
13-03-2004, 09:09 PM
I agree about it being personal preference and mileage is often about how and where you ride.

That said, I like the Bridgestone BT020 for the mixture of wear and grip. I have tried a 180 on the rear and found that it seemed to make the 'bike react badly to surface defects on the road.

spacemonkey
13-03-2004, 09:33 PM
I would recommend round, black rubber ones.

My weapon of choice are Avon Azaro Sport Tourer tyres. Grip as good as any other I tried but being dual compound they don't wear out overnight. My tyres have done about 6000 miles by now and as Chris will verify they are still nice and round and loadsa tread left. I paid about £180 fitted.

Pedro
13-03-2004, 09:52 PM
Busters in Swansea are doing D207s for £130 ish (regular and RRs) and apparently Diablos are all the rage!!

Ped

DesmoDom
13-03-2004, 10:09 PM
Space,
I agree with you totally, I've run Avon's on all 4 of my previous Ducati's, these being X2 900ss's, a 888 Strada and a 996 Bip and will be replacing these Dunlop 207RR's with Azaro Sports Tourer's.
They give more than enough grip and when they're on the limit they start moving around, rather than grip like sh#t to a blanket, then let go and as you said big mileage. £180 fitted is a bit on the higher side of what I've seen, but not much.

johnypebs
13-03-2004, 10:22 PM
I'm about to change the rear tyre on my S4 after 2500 miles on the original Pirelli. It's square and I don't think I'm going to exceed the envelope of any modern tyre, so I'm going to fit a £95 Continental and see how it goes. I'll let you know.

M900Dom
26-03-2004, 01:25 AM
I`ve Run all sorts on the 900
Original Mich Macadam 50`s...:eek:

Mich Pilot Sports:D Very nice and predictable, rears squared off though on Motorways
Pilot sport front and Pilot Road rear, nice combination for Summer with distance

Pilot roads all round, lovely all year tyre

Bridgestone 010F 020R not bad combination, preferred feel of Michelins though

Dunlop 207 GP`s:eek: ;) :D ....Started off on Part-worn race take-offs, and stayed on them ever since
Dont last long (Fronts OK) and really scary when cold for the 1st half mile or so:eek: just spin up everywhere:eek:
But when they are warm they are sublime:cool: loads of feel and feedback and Tons of Grip:D
Tip in fast as they have a very Triangular profile, not for everyone but I love`em
HTH
Dom