PDA

View Full Version : Rear Suspension set-up

Chriswilly
20-05-2018, 03:39 PM
Went for a 'bimble' yesterday with my IAM senior observer friend Andy and was complaining about the 'potholes' etc.
After following me for several miles he suggested that my rear suspension seemed to be rather 'restricted' - not taking in the road conditions.
He then took the Monster for a run and suggested re-setting the Ohlins shock.

M900ie Dark 2000

Anyone set up the Ohlins on this model? 109 31 95 279 unit.
I only weigh 10st 4 lbs and 5' 6'' height (same as I left school in 1957 ) as if you wanted to know that !!!!!

Any advice would be appreciated. No I will not be packing up biking or selling my Monster.

Thanks, Chris

rollo22
20-05-2018, 04:10 PM
Have a look at this it will help

https://www.ohlins.com/app/uploads/world/documents/2015/11/OM_07241-02.pdf

Luddite
20-05-2018, 08:09 PM
Check the static sag (using the guidance that rollo provided) and also the dynamic sag, i.e. with you and your riding gear on board. You'll probably be able to get the correct static sag (5-15mm) but, if you can't get within the range 25-35mm (or about 25% of the available travel) by adjusting the preload with you on board, then you'll benefit from a lighter spring.

If your sag is ok, check your compression damping and try reducing it if it's adjustable.

I'm just about to try a softer spring on my Evo as I feel the 115N/mm may be too firm for my riding style. The new spring should arrive this week. I'll post a report on that and also the Sealey spring compressor that I've also bought shortly...

chris.p
20-05-2018, 08:31 PM
Check the static sag (using the guidance that rollo provided) and also the dynamic sag, i.e. with you and your riding gear on board. You'll probably be able to get the correct static sag (5-15mm) but, if you can't get within the range 25-35mm (or about 25% of the available travel) by adjusting the preload with you on board, then you'll benefit from a lighter spring.

If your sag is ok, check your compression damping and try reducing it if it's adjustable.

I'm just about to try a softer spring on my Evo as I feel the 115N/mm may be too firm for my riding style. The new spring should arrive this week. I'll post a report on that and also the Sealey spring compressor that I've also bought shortly...

In most cases you should not need a spring compressor for a rear shock, just winding off all the preload should be enough to allow you to take off the bottom support and then slide the spring off.

Luddite
20-05-2018, 08:34 PM
In most cases you should not need a spring compressor for a rear shock, just winding off all the preload should be enough to allow you to take off the bottom support and then slide the spring off.

We shall see! Watch this space...

Luddite
20-05-2018, 09:25 PM
You could be right, Chris.

My spring's free length is, I think, 170mm and I reckon there should be over 180mm clearance with the collars wound back, sooo...

Anyone want to buy a spring compressor?!

Mossleymonster
21-05-2018, 12:03 AM
Went for a 'bimble' yesterday with my IAM senior observer friend Andy and was complaining about the 'potholes' etc.
After following me for several miles he suggested that my rear suspension seemed to be rather 'restricted' - not taking in the road conditions.
He then took the Monster for a run and suggested re-setting the Ohlins shock.

M900ie Dark 2000

Anyone set up the Ohlins on this model? 109 31 95 279 unit.
I only weigh 10st 4 lbs and 5' 6'' height (same as I left school in 1957 ) as if you wanted to know that !!!!!

Any advice would be appreciated. No I will not be packing up biking or selling my Monster.

Thanks, Chris

Get a 115 spring. Set your preload, all damping to zero. and go for a ride.

Chriswilly
22-06-2018, 05:43 PM
Many thanks Rollo - downloaded the OHLINS manual and set it up for my 'lightweight' frame - huge improvement - 'pot holes' I love them.