PDA

View Full Version : Mallory - The pitch to end all pitches.

Matt Black
13-03-2004, 12:32 PM
First of all I hope I'm not stealing UKMOC thunder or stepping on UKMOC toes etc, but here I go again.....

Fingers crossed with four days of posting left and lets hope that the last minute rush at least makes Mallory happen - at whatever cost. By the way fatbloke, does 47 riders as at 12 March mean approx £185?!

I remember the - 'Your Club Needs You' e mail went out to 1200 people. - 90 out of that means 7.5% At first glance you think - that should be OK. My theory however is that the likely numbers would come from the ACTIVE membership, perhaps represented by how active the members were on this forum.

According to the membership database accessible to me as a humble member - only 280 out of 1200 people have ever posted on it more than once! If you count active membership as over 5 posts ever, the number drops down to 192. Over 10 posts ever and its 148, and so on

Now I could personally moan about the distance of the track day from me - I can't speak for the rest of the membership. I could moan about the 8:30 start time, because its asking a lot to anyone living over 2/3 hours away. These two factors combined mean going up the day before and getting B&B - maybe I'm not alone in these factors being an issue. But I'm doing it - and there's the difference.

Perhaps my calculations are flawed but I think it is awsome that out of say 200 reasonably active 'posters' on the forum nearly a quarter have signed up to this excellent day. That's a strong core membership in my book.

To the organisers, however optimistic, and to my fellow deposit payers I salute you.

To those that can't make it through work, physical, financial or other problems, we will miss you but it's not your fault if this doesn't happen.

To those that are watching and can't participate thankyou in advance for cheering us on.

To everyone else, well, there's still time to show how much you like being part of Ducati Monster life. Hopefully other posts have persuaded the less confident that you are still guaranteed a good time, whatever happens. Having exclusive club use for the whole day means everyone can have a burble round with no worries. It may even mean you enjoy riding more afterwords - I used to hate cornering when I started years ago - but to start using more of the tyres, and the road is very rewarding and its not all about speed. If you stopped squaring off your tyres, you might even save money after June 29th 2004.

If you aren't going for no good reason, like you can't be bothered, then what exactly is that bike doing in the garage? While you are reading this - Ask yourself what its all for. Then send off your deposit. You will feel like you've done something positive for once and 1000 mile a year or whatever you do won't seem like its all just a lifestyle statement. You will feel like a motorcyclist. This experience will beign to repay the investement in time and money that you have already made. Think about it - Bike, tax, insurance, servicing, helmet, leathers, boots, gloves - even those bloody ears you bought (no offence PD) are all waiting to be made the most of - ON JUNE 29TH 2004

Otherwise, well, you're just playing at this motorbike lark aren't you? To all our armchair members - I hope there's something good on the telly for you....

Get involved and get the deposit off. NOW. Personally I can't wait till June 29th - and none of this nonsense about I cant commit - it might be raining. We'll all being having a great time whatever the weather.

SO thankyou UKMOC for trying to make this happen. I hope I'm wrong about the numbers. I really hope it works out for us all next week. The offer stands and I will pay more if necessary. Given the hassle you've had with this one, a Monster track day, in this format at least, is likely to be a once in a lifetime opportunity. I for one want to be part of that.

Never has so much - fight them on the beaches etc etc

spacemonkey
13-03-2004, 05:34 PM
I think you might have forgotten one minor detail...there are actually members who simply don't want to do a trackday. I would love to do it but unlike the majority of members my business depends on my bike and hence I cannot take the risk at all.
I truly hope y'all enjoy the day and can make it happen. Those in two minds chould consider something-you only live once, so enjoy it!

Kev Bunney
13-03-2004, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by spacemonkey
I think you might have forgotten one minor detail...there are actually members who simply don't want to do a trackday. I would love to do it but unlike the majority of members my business depends on my bike and hence I cannot take the risk at all.
I truly hope y'all enjoy the day and can make it happen. Those in two minds chould consider something-you only live once, so enjoy it! I am not trying to push you, or anyone into this track ride, but the bit about you relying on your bike for work got me thinking, you can`t "risk" a ride round a closed road, with a super smooth, grippy surfice, no car drivers, pedestrians, or oncoming traffic ??? but you ride all the time on the public roads ! you`ve got me puzzled there mate :confused:

Banshee
13-03-2004, 09:09 PM
i have promised not to speak on the subject again...BUT;)

spacemonkey
13-03-2004, 10:26 PM
Different kind of risk, my old china...
Risking for pay is one thing but for fun? It's not just crashing it you see, it's the wear and tear (cost wise-as I do enough miles already) and the risk of going mental for a long period of time might just take it's toll on something that'll cost me loads to fix. Not only that, but I might enjoy it too much...
Now if I had a dedicated track bike then I'd jump at the chance!

fatbloke
13-03-2004, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by spacemonkey
Now if I had a dedicated track bike then I'd jump at the chance!

I know wheres there's a nice 916:p

spacemonkey
13-03-2004, 11:02 PM
MMMNNNEENNNMMEEWAARRGGHHHHHGGGGGGHHHH!!!!!

Coming mother....

Matt Black
14-03-2004, 08:51 PM
I thought some people might just enjoy riding around within the limitations of the bike and their ability.

If its everyday transport then yeah, maybe. But if you use a monster daily then you're a bit nuts so a track day would be OK!

In my excitement I had discounted personal freedom of choice - but if it got one arse of the fence then cool.

spacemonkey
16-03-2004, 07:51 PM
And then of course there's the leather's/zip problem and the helmets without D-rings etc etc...

Paranoid Dave
16-03-2004, 08:05 PM
Yas there are some of us who just don't want to do it.

Part of me want's to, I have always wanted to do one but unfortunately I cannot afford The £100, I might be able to scrimp it but then I can't afford the 300 mile round trip + track petrol, the b&b the night before, some new leather, and if you serious about the DD ring helmet then I'm out there too. Not only that but I'm not sure I really want to get carried away with the 'no limits' of the track cos with all the one off bits on Kylie, I'm screwed if I drop her.
Another time, on someone elses bike, I'll think about it.

netstar
16-03-2004, 08:45 PM
would love to do a track day but the zip together leathers will be a prob. I have a nice pair of leather dungs in my shop but there too big for me. Would gladly lend to one of you tho. J x

AngelV
16-03-2004, 09:58 PM
My stoppers are:
1 - work
2- it's my bike, mine mine mine and I don't want to end up spreading it on the floor
3 - would have to go up day before (see 1 above)
4 - would need to hire a van
5 - and how do I explain taking my daughter out of school for 2 days (Yes Miss Headteacher, of course it is an educational break.....) child goes back to school with tales of trackday, I get in bother with local authority!

Sorry, but for some it aint that easy :(

netstar
16-03-2004, 10:00 PM
I do think it would be good experience ... cornering etc. don't forget there is a ladies only track day coming up soon.

Albie
16-03-2004, 10:23 PM
Im really looking forward to it ,but in a slightly apprehensive way. I decided though that my equipment wasn't right , so if it wasnt right for the racetrack it wasnt right for the road and is costing in the range of 500.00 leathers,250 for helmet but i'll feel safer and better on the road. Was my last helmet no good, yes by their standards. Im going to enjoy it because somebodys made an effort to let us do it. If its good then next year i may attempt the ultimate WORLD DUCATI WEEK. Thats worth looking forward to.

M900Dom
18-03-2004, 10:05 PM
I`ll be there if I am in the country, I have no worries about track use or dropping it.... If I bin it I`ll fix it.

My problem is, I am a Contractor, currently on a weeks rolling contract in Northampton, but, that could well become 2 years in Australia, 6 months in the States, france Germany etc etc
I dont know from one week to the next where or if I am going to be working, so booking a Track day months from now that potentially I cant make is stoopid!!

If I am here and available I will be there, If a deposit was refundable based on that, I will put one down.
I have Lid, Leathers, Bike, Trailer if needs be and will be there if I can....

It just aint as easy as some people make out.....
Not all of us work 9 to 5 with sick pay and holiday pay either...
Laters
Dom

Banshee
18-03-2004, 10:23 PM
Take the gamble put down your deposit, i'm in same boat with work, i might not make it, but worth the gamble, if you get sent here and there im sure is 1/4 days pay...:D

M900Dom
18-03-2004, 11:07 PM
Cheeky Fekka :eek: :D

Nah rates are sh*t at the moment ;) :( Be at least till lunchtime
:eek: :D :D :p

I`ll sort it out

A Yerbury
18-03-2004, 11:11 PM
When is the ukmoc tequila/paintball day happening?

Banshee
18-03-2004, 11:16 PM
I could sort that one out, best of both in Europe in Lichfield!!!

M900Dom
19-03-2004, 10:50 AM
I have spoken to Mark (The bloke with the Monster Quad)
And he is going to try and get over for it as well....

WITH the Quad:eek: :eek: :D :D

celt
19-03-2004, 12:46 PM
well i sent my deposit on thursday gone so looks like im in.

havent figured out how im going to pay for all this but i cant miss an event like this.

is anyone else going from up north as its going to be 1 hell of a riding session in one day. might spent night if credit card can take it.

my bike is my only form of transport and yes im nervous about doing a track day.
but its a hell of a lot more dangerous riding on the roads ever day.

i'll be riding at my own pace at the trackday and i dont care if i look like a prat, at least i can say i did it.

fly
20-03-2004, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by celt
i'll be riding at my own pace at the trackday and i dont care if i look like a prat, at least i can say i did it.

Me too, I'll be wobbling around in the slower than slow group :lol: but really looking forward to it. :D

Not decided yet whether to set off early and ride up on the morning or whether to book a hotel the night before.

gary tompkins
20-03-2004, 05:47 PM
Fly,

Unless your very local to Mallory I think travelling up the night before is the wise move. A very early start to make the 8.00 - 8.30 booking in and briefing times, may leave you feeling knackered later in the day when you really need to be on the ball trackwise.

I'll be going up Monday evening and staying in a local B&B to make sure I'm fit for the day. Speaking from experience, I remember feeling pretty shattered after doing my two trackdays (8 X 20 min sessions) at Cadwell.

fly
21-03-2004, 08:07 PM
Gary

I think your right about travelling up the night before, especially this being my first track day (I'm about 110 miles from Mallory). I'll probably feel really shattered by lunchtime anyway, but hopefully the excitement of it all will keep me going :eek: :D

Thanks for your advice btw :)

NattyBoy
21-03-2004, 08:39 PM
Im sure this has been posted elsewhere but is the day deffo a goer now ??

Cheers
Nat

fatbloke
21-03-2004, 08:51 PM
yup its gonna happen 100% sure the deposits
been paid we are now commited to the event.

automa
21-03-2004, 09:03 PM
Take the gamble put down your deposit, i'm in same boat with work, i might not make it, but worth the gamble,

Also in the same boat and Iam a one man band but will cancel everythig to be their if possible, only my second track day
did the first one last year . AGE 54 !!!!!!!

John

NattyBoy
21-03-2004, 10:09 PM
Excellent news terry....thanks for all your efforts bud !

Understand that mallory is a little bumpy so have fitted that steering damper I bought off the forum to contain the 52 beeaitchpees of raw evilness...

Well .. it looks nice anyway

Nat:D :D

celt
21-03-2004, 10:56 PM
yes i'm coming down the day before. maybe meet some of the others for a nightcap.

steviej
21-03-2004, 11:36 PM
Nightcaps all round Celt, see yer there matey.....................

fatbloke
22-03-2004, 11:15 AM
Julie is sorting out a venue for Monday night so all who wish can
get together the night before UKMOC makes history.

Julie
22-03-2004, 11:56 AM
Yeah!!!!

We will check it out at the weekend

fatbloke
22-03-2004, 12:22 PM
Just as a foot note I was chatting to (name drop comming)
Frederico Minoli (Chairman Ducati) on friday night and he has
confirmed that the UKMOC Monster only track day is the first
of its kind anywhere in the world!!.
So if you would like to be a part of Monster/Ducati history
and are still on the fence why not fill in the form send in the
cheque and lets have a chuckle.

Billy Bigwheels
22-03-2004, 02:25 PM
Cracking.

Well done Terry and of course everyone else who was involved with setting this up.

NattyBoy
22-03-2004, 05:51 PM
Bloody hell Terry..thats a name drop and a half !!!

Nat

fatbloke
22-03-2004, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by NattyBoy
Bloody hell Terry..thats a name drop and a half !!!

Nat

and photo to prove it
http://fatbloke.xt500.org.uk/fred.jpg

NattyBoy
22-03-2004, 07:22 PM
you tart terry!..fair play..dont think theres many chairman of multinationals who would take time out to speak to us mere mortals .. let alone sit on our bikes!!

P.S New sils then ???

fatbloke
22-03-2004, 07:25 PM
its a sil 2 into 1 system 50mm stainless back to
the header it sounds fab!!

fatbloke
22-03-2004, 07:38 PM
oh and heres a pic of me and my new mate Paul
:D
http://fatbloke.xt500.org.uk/smart.jpg

NattyBoy
22-03-2004, 08:02 PM
Ha ha !! Im not the only one whos star struck then !!! Funny thing is weve got a bloke at work who looks like paul smart, and I was all excited etc telling him and he didnt have a bloody clue what I was talking about!!

Where did you meet this lot then mate ??

nat

fatbloke
22-03-2004, 09:25 PM
at the Friday evening launch party of Ducati London Central.

gary tompkins
22-03-2004, 09:33 PM
King of blag strikes again - top marks FB :D

fatbloke
22-03-2004, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by gary tompkins
King of blag strikes again - top marks FB :D

Thanks gary Iv'e still got it