PDA

View Full Version : Oil flow control tap for carb heaters...

spacemonkey
12-03-2004, 09:27 PM
Can anyone with one of these kits please have a look and see if it looks like the tap itself can be removed from the valve assembly? Mine is an early kit fitted to a 900 and had a large plastic tap fitted, but it has just disappeared without a trace and drips oil at the rate of 1 drop per 30 secs. Ducati do not sell the tap or assembly seperately and I have got Dave Wood trying to find a suitable replacement tap assembly, but if not I would like to know if anyone has one kicking around the garage floor as a back up plan...

Pedro
12-03-2004, 10:36 PM
Will have a look in the morning

Ped

Chris
12-03-2004, 11:29 PM
Nice to meet you today mate, Hope you get the tap sorted soon, Dave is pretty good at sorthing most things. How's the forks?

spacemonkey
13-03-2004, 10:07 AM
Forks are amazing-they actually give now under heavy (that's all the time then)braking over bumps. Much better although I think they might have felt a bit floppy going into roundabouts when you knock it over, but that was probably me holding back in my usual wet/bumpy roundabout paranoia!
Terry got the 916 out for me to sit on after you left and it felt sooo comfy and right with those slightly raised bars. Very tempting with the money not doing much in the bank....
I'm waiting for Dave to email me about a poss tap replacement but on the way home I remembered I use a similar tap at work so I might chek for compatability if all else fails. He wrapped some polishing cloth and A-Team tape around it for now until we know what next.

Chris
13-03-2004, 03:15 PM
You're probably not used to the forks moving at all!

916 mmmmmmm if only I could afford to insure one

I'm not sure leaving the monster with Dave was a good idea, could end up costing quite a bit, but never mind, I'm sure I'll love it when it comes back.

Pedro
13-03-2004, 04:07 PM
Nick

looks like the tap will unscrew if you have a look at the attached photo. I guess if it does, you could plug it with a suitable bolt.

Hope this helps

Ped

spacemonkey
13-03-2004, 05:38 PM
Mine was different than that. Yours is what Ducati show on the stock computer, but mine was plastic and didn't have anything that looked like a bolt to connect it. Thanks for the pic though!

Has anyone got a plastic tap that can photo it?

Chris
13-03-2004, 06:03 PM
Have you tried looking up a part for an older make of ducati. Since yours was one of the earlier monsters and the bikes were parts bin specials I bet it is a part nicked of another bike, old 900SS or 888?

superlight3
13-03-2004, 06:45 PM
Hi Spacey.

I might have just what you're looking for (on paper at least!).

If you could give me a call tomorrow we'll discuss the part in question and I'll make some availability inquires..

Cheers.

Lee.

Mrs Soup
14-03-2004, 02:04 PM
My plastic bit has fallen out, but it doesn't leak.

Does anyone know which way is which without the tap?

steviej
14-03-2004, 02:08 PM
ooh er missus............................................ .

spacemonkey
14-03-2004, 08:52 PM
Ok everybody, I have solved the problem thanks to Lee@Monstershop. He said the tap (as mine is a very early one) is probably off a 900SS or 900SL, and he gave me the part number. I have ordered the part from Daytona and they have one in stock for me to collect tomorrow for the princely sum of £15. Souplady, if you wanna get one then get the number off Lee or I will post it soon. Toodle-pip.

spacemonkey
16-03-2004, 07:56 PM
Yep, it was the right one and I have fitted it. The part number is: 58840061B.

superlight3
17-03-2004, 07:09 AM
:D