PDA

View Full Version : Chain Length - 41T Sprocket

plug747
12-03-2004, 06:39 PM
Well it's getting warmer - so instead of riding the bike (doh!)- I thought I'd get it sorted for summer and fit the new 41T rear sprocket I bought a couple of months ago.

Bad move, I could've had a good ride out but instead spent the afternoon trying to "stretch" the chain around this oversize sprocket. No luck! ran out of adjustment on the rear wheel.

I'm guessing a longer chain might solve the problem if so how many links?. The standard for a 37T standard DID chain is 100 but what should I increase to?...any views on 'o-ring' or 'x-ring' chains. I'm betting DID is the manufacturer to stick with?

I knew I should've changed the front sprocket for 1 tooth smaller, but being an engineering type was worried about the small radius on the chain..

Any useful suggestion/experience.

Thanks

Plug

CK & AK
12-03-2004, 07:01 PM
Can I ask why you settled on a 41? :confused:
I find that 1 down on the front is about the same as 2 to 3 on the rear. Are you looking for better acceleration.
I run a 14f & 38r on my special - and that pulls like a train.
Rep front sprocket will cost about £12-£15.

Not criticising - just asking

Alan

A Yerbury
12-03-2004, 07:11 PM
ditto alan. cheap and very definately cheerfull. As train like as a 600 can be anyway. DO IT!
Alex.

Pedro
12-03-2004, 09:25 PM
Add the same number of links that you added to the sprocket would seem to be logical, but it would be cheaper the buy a small front sprocket instead unless you need a new chain anyway.

Ped

Bob Dixon
12-03-2004, 09:41 PM
Hello all,
I`m a new member seeking advice. I`ve just bought an S4 Fogarty which comes with an optional 39t sprocket. Q1] Is it possible to remove the back wheel without splitting the chain in order to fit the sprocket?
Q2] Will I need a longer chain.....if so ignore question 1 !
Thanks , bob

Bunny
12-03-2004, 09:48 PM
Yes you can take the wheel out without splitting the chain. You can even take the chain off the bike without splitting it when you need to replace it. I've got a 39 rear on mine, didn't need a longer chain

Bunny

Pedro
12-03-2004, 09:49 PM
Hey Bob

welcome to the club and nice bike!!

The rear wheel will come out without splitting the chain. Just slacken off the adjusters and move the wheel forward so you can unhook the chain.

Not sure about chain length, try it and see.

Ped

plug747
12-03-2004, 09:58 PM
Thanks all,

looks like a new front sprocket is the answer - I was sort of pushed into a 41T by my supplier who couldn't source a 39T (my preferred option). I was really looking for better acceleration (used to be a blade rider) and a higher engine speed round town as I found the monster a bit jerky at low speed!. Not really too bothered about top end speed cause I don't / can't use it anyway.

Thanks for the advice

Plug

Chris
12-03-2004, 10:33 PM
I currently run 14t front and 40t rear on my 900ie and i accelerates well, up to the rev limiter in top at 130mph.

Bunny
13-03-2004, 06:27 AM
Plug, do you want a hardly used 39t gold ally rear sprocet for an S4 ?
Coz I have got one - made by Talon
Yours for £10 + postage, or £10 cash if you're at the Waggon & Horses at Thrupp today (Sunday)

Bunny

Bob Dixon
13-03-2004, 10:19 AM
Thanks for the advice, I shall go and fit the new sprocket!
Cheers, bob

M900Dom
18-03-2004, 09:09 PM
Remember the Ratios changed on the later Bikes, when they went to the 748 gearbox;)

My 94 900, came as standard with 15/39

I now run 15/41..... bit short on the M-Way, better everywhere else though ;) :D

McMONSTRO
20-03-2004, 04:42 PM
Bunny,
Do you still have the 39T rear talon sprocket?
Could be interested! Does it go on with the standard chain or will I run into problems like Plug has?

Cheers
McMonstro

BlueHaze
28-03-2004, 11:49 AM
I don't want to be the prophet of doom, and judging by the number of members that use a 14T front it may not be true, but:

I had heard that the reduced diameter of a 14T spocket causes the chain to wear the top of the swing arm. (plus increased chain wear due to tighter radius)

I wanted the gearing lowered on my '00 900 Sie and asked my servicing people to check this out.

Their initial recommendation was for a 14T as this would not need a longer chain, but when the tried it they phoned me up and asked how much I weighed!

When I told them, they suggested that a 15/40 would be a better choice. From that I guess that 12 stone cannot compress the suspension enough and the chain must lie on top of the swing arm.

The 15/40 is good, but I've now got a 41 as I think it could be even better.