PDA

View Full Version : Best Battery

Brendan S4
11-04-2018, 06:00 PM
Hi all,

looking for recommendations about which battery to buy for my S4.
Bike isn't used that often and kept on an optimate,
would prefer something with a bit more cranking power if possible.
Any help appreciated, cheers.

Mark64
11-04-2018, 06:27 PM
Hi all,

Hi Brendan, I have a motobatt from sportsbikeshop, good cranking power & decent price, used yuasa before but have been told they're useless since they changed to gel batterys.
Hope this helps.
Happy monstering - Mark😁

Brendan S4
11-04-2018, 06:41 PM
Thanks Mark, was looking at those ones earlier

Darren69
11-04-2018, 07:20 PM
+1 for the motobatt, has been a good battery, but looked after. Check amazon 'cos sometimes they are cheaper esp if you have Prime you can save on postage too!

bobbertandsammy
11-04-2018, 07:55 PM
Hi all,

I'm just over in Hamilton mate and I have a halfords trade card so get them at a decent price. Let me know the model and I'll check it for you

Brendan S4
11-04-2018, 08:54 PM
Thanks everyone for the info, was thinking about the motobatt and this has confirmed it.

cheers for the offer of the trade card, I have one myself but appreciate your help and

offer,

cheers,

Brendan.:)

alan s4
12-04-2018, 08:10 AM
While you're at it change the lead between the starter and the solenoid. Halfords do a heavy duty cable that fits, makes a big difference when starting.

BobT
12-04-2018, 08:27 AM
Yuasa GEL batteries have much more cranking amps (CCA) than the old wet batteries ever had. They are standard on most new bikes these days.
I run a Lithium on one of my bikes, but other than that it is all Yuasa for me.

Darren69
12-04-2018, 09:10 AM
While you're at it change the lead between the starter and the solenoid. Halfords do a heavy duty cable that fits, makes a big difference when starting.

Can you remember which Halfords lead is the right size? Thinking of doing mine. Ta

Brendan S4
12-04-2018, 10:32 AM
Thanks for all the advice. Will definitely look at changing the lead between starter and solenoid. Read on other forums that you can buy a replacement kit for these leads as well .

Darren69
12-04-2018, 10:38 AM
Thanks for all the advice. Will definitely look at changing the lead between starter and solenoid. Read on other forums that you can buy a replacement kit for these leads as well .

Exactfit and some others? They are very expensive for what they are.

Brendan S4
12-04-2018, 02:21 PM
Was thinking that. Will measure the existing ones over the weekend and see about changing all the leads, every bit helps😀

alan s4
12-04-2018, 02:58 PM
Hi Darren - they do a selection of different lengths, can't remember what size it was exactly, the replacement was within a couple of cm of original though. I went for the red, in hindsight black would look more OEM though. I also changed the earth lead while I was at it, that was a bit of a faff as I had to remove the tank to get properly at it.

Jez900ie
12-04-2018, 06:33 PM
Anyone using a Shorai?

SteveP
12-04-2018, 07:06 PM
I would recommend the Motobatt. My s2r has stood unused in the garage since October and started straight away on Sunday, a pleasant surprise, I expecting it to be dead.

Darren69
12-04-2018, 07:25 PM
Not sure about the 2V bikes but the S4 does really need a really good battery to start easily. I had read somewhere that it was a common issue with them so I'm not unduly worried but a new Motobatt made a big improvement over the old Yuasa of uncertain vintage, that was in the bike originally.

Dukedesmo
12-04-2018, 07:26 PM
Another vote for Motobatt, they're not the lightest but start reliably and I'd rather carry a few more pounds than end up stranded.

My 916 had a Yuasa and it would run flat after a few weeks if not on a tender, the Motobatt will start it after sitting for the winter and my Guzzi had a new Banner battery which would struggle to start it - voltage during cranking would drop to 8 - 9 volts, I fitted a Motobatt of the same size (but with more power) and it starts first time, only downside is it weighs 10kg! (the Banner weighed around 8.5 IIRC) but it is basically a small car battery.

Since going all Motobatt I rarely use a battery tender anymore...

Darren69
12-04-2018, 08:07 PM
I think you get a lifetime or if not then a very long waranty on them anyway.The S4 is still a hard starter compared to my 748 but the Motobatt did improve it to usually 1 ro 2 or sometimes 3 goes from cold.

350TSS
12-04-2018, 09:00 PM
I think the S4 weak starting is due to those horrible stick coils, which I believe only produce about 20,000 volts. You must have good voltage from the battery on an S4 for it to start.

Brendan S4
14-04-2018, 11:13 AM
Hi the cable size is 450mm or 18 inch, cheers

Mr Gazza
14-04-2018, 05:16 PM
If you get a starter cable 700mm long , with 16sqmm cross section.
It will go along the diagonal frame brace above the engine, down the nearside of the front pot and under the starter to the terminal.
Out of sight and out of the way of the belt covers when it comes to changing the belts.

Best thing of all you can do, whether changing the lead or not, is to make sure the starter terminal is clean and bright, along with the terminal on the lead.
Do it up and then fill the rubber boot with grease to keep the damp out.