PDA

View Full Version : holy crap 5 years since my last post on here!

ricky
11-03-2018, 11:13 PM
Hi all! wats the Craic?!?!

Any new Northern Irish monster owners here?

I WAS checking in once a year but I seemed to have let that slip! :chuckle:

Ive been still nosing on here now & then, mostly on the 'how to' and 'for sale' sections as ive a goal to buy an s4 very soon!!!

Well just in case anyones wondering wat ive been up to... (I'm sure they havnt!) ive got married, bought a new house with a built in garage and have owned another 5 bikes. At the moment in the stable there is my trusty little 620 monster! An fzr 1000 and a fazer 600. I also have a trike that I am currently building to sell to buy the aforementioned S4!!!

I have my UKMOC patches on my waistcoat and every year look forward to my yearly email about the DOC kits! lol

If anyone is planning to come to the emerald isle this year please make sure to give me a shout... I usually go to the NW200 and Ulster GPs and my local bike club is actually hosting our 1st road race!! Speaking of clubs, I have my own called SHORT ARSE MCC make sure to add us on fb!

BLUNT
12-03-2018, 12:23 PM
Hey Ricky, you're not concerned about this suggestion are you?
If possible and with presidential willingness: delete, by default, all 'members' without activity during the last one/two years. The remaining group will feel closer and an online 'vote' will be good enough.

This club is a clique which by definition is "a small close-knit group of people who do not readily allow others to join them."

They are mostly London-based (although not all) and meet for breakfast at the week-end and have a Christmas meal together to reinforce the social bond.

This is not just my opininion and I once saw the UKMOC referred to as 'The London Club'

The rest of us are not really wanted anyway and the suggestion about deleting members will please many of the clique.

Don't worry about it.

Nottsbiker
12-03-2018, 12:27 PM

This club is a clique which by definition is "a small close-knit group of people who do not readily allow others to join them."

They are mostly London-based (although not all) and meet for breakfast at the week-end and have a Christmas meal together to reinforce the social bond.

This is not just my opininion and I once saw the UKMOC referred to as 'The London Club'

The rest of us are not really wanted anyway and the suggestion about deleting members will please many of the clique.

Don't worry about it.

I'd have thought being in London would enable you to join them and exclude the rest of us...

utopia
12-03-2018, 12:49 PM
....... "who do not readily allow others to join them."
.........The rest of us are not really wanted anyway......

I don't agree with either of these statements.
In fact I disagree with them strongly.
However you do raise a valid point regarding the "lapsing" of membership.
Unfortunately you only address the issue from one side.
Criticism is easy, solutions are harder.
I'm a midlander btw.

Ricky .. I will get the monster over to Ireland at some stage.
Will give you a call.

ricky
12-03-2018, 01:02 PM
Yeh i guessed something was up when i got the recent email... the forum is a great source of knowledge and should be available forever!! But if u had to sign on at least once a year or quarter or watever to keep it active then i would agree with that. With today's social media its certainly a much different world than 2005 when i 1st joined!!

Jez900ie
12-03-2018, 01:54 PM

Don't worry about it.

I've only been a "partime" member for a year or so and perhaps experiences vary from person to person?

I will say that I have recieved a fair amount of advice & friendly chat. I can't honestly say that I paid a great deal of attention to the area where every reply came from, but some were certainly poor devils who live "dahn Saf" - even a few from the smoke!

This site for me has been a good experience which is why I continue to log in.

Capo
12-03-2018, 02:40 PM

Don't worry about it.

A few truths there

Maggsy
13-03-2018, 07:14 AM

Don't worry about it.

Not my experience!
Met guys from East Anglia, Midlands, London and all over the UK on the Coast to Coast run and felt very welcome.
Local group also friendly. Pedro, who is is one of the club officials, lives in Wiltshire and was only too happy to take a couple of us newbies for a spin after one of our breakfast meets last year.
I think this post is a slap in the face for those people who give up a lot of their own time to run this club and forum, organising the Weekender, sending out annual membership packs etc. I, for one, am very grateful to them.
This forum is full of useful info and comment, that’s why I log-in most days.

Shuffy
13-03-2018, 09:04 AM
Not my experience!
Met guys from East Anglia, Midlands, London and all over the UK on the Coast to Coast run and felt very welcome.
Local group also friendly. Pedro, who is is one of the club officials, lives in Wiltshire and was only too happy to take a couple of us newbies for a spin after one of our breakfast meets last year.
I think this post is a slap in the face for those people who give up a lot of their own time to run this club and forum, organising the Weekender, sending out annual membership packs etc. I, for one, am very grateful to them.
This forum is full of useful info and comment, that’s why I log-in most days.

Well said Maggsy! I couldn't agree more. I've had the pleasure of meeting lots of people from all over the country at various club events over the years, quite a few of them I now consider to be life long friends. I can honestly say I've never met anyone in the club who wasn't welcoming and friendly. I generally find if you make the effort and actually go out and meet people, rather than make assumptions, you'll come away with something positive. Clubs like ours are run on good will, spare time and a lot of effort by a few for the many and I think that should be applauded. It's just a shame that a some people don't seem to share that view.

utopia
13-03-2018, 09:24 AM
Well said Maggsy and Shuffy.
In fact there are so many bigoted untruths there that its hard to know where to start.
Backed up by the pseudo-evidence of one anonymous "quote" with no context.

jonzi
13-03-2018, 09:39 AM
Perhaps BLUNT feels like UKMOC is cliquey simply because he is a twat. It's hard to like a twat.

Nottsbiker
13-03-2018, 11:43 AM
Perhaps BLUNT feels like UKMOC is cliquey simply because he is a twat. It's hard to like a twat.

That's his standard approach I believe :chuckle:

slob
13-03-2018, 11:50 AM
Not all that easy to get the exact numbers without direct SQL database access:

Users logged on since 01/03/17 = 936
Listed as M400/Other Ducati/Not a Ducati/No bike = 144
Since 01/03/17, London = 88
Listed as M400/Other Ducati/Not a Ducati/No bike + London = 14
Not in the UK = 131
Obvious regular UK users who where lazy with registration details 23+ (including Mr Blunt who didn't want to use his real name)
Listed as M400/Other Ducati/Not a Ducati/No bike + NotUK = 22
...Lazy registration or Eire = 10
Listed as M400/Other Ducati/Not a Ducati/No bike but really in London = 1
131 - 23 + 22 - 10 = up to 120 Registered users not listed below

936 - 120 = 816+ Active UKMOC Members

88 - 14 + 1 = ~75 in London (~9%)

Registered with DOC = 149
of whom passengers/non-members = 14

149 - 14 = 135 (~17%)

slob
13-03-2018, 11:51 AM
I'd have thought being in London would enable you to join them and exclude the rest of us...

Thanks for the support Ben, if you were in London I'd have dropped off the spare cans I gave you a couple of years ago and saved you the postage, but hey-ho people have short memories.
This forum is a 'vehicle' that makes it relatively easy for someone to set up a local meetings etc. if there isn't one there already, sorry no-one in Nottingham could be bothered in the last few years. FWIW the other club you're a member of seems far cliquier to me.

Nice work choosing to quote stopintime from another thread BLUNT, Lars isn't a member by definition, as he's in Norway but his input is still valued, which is why we keep the forum as open as possible. He's also a nice guy, since he actually goes to events on his bike and I've met him at Misano.

All clubs are by definition cliques ya ****ing idiot.

Absolute bollocks (see figures above) apart from the fact meeting up for meals etc. is more in the nature of a club than a clique per se.
I spent a couple of years sitting in cafes every month wondering whether someone else would show up, eventually we got a decent social group together meeting for breakfasts, going on rideouts (anywhere but in London!) and for a while organising a monthly social drink in town. Every meeting was posted on here in advance, specifically to try to make the club as inclusive as possible. Unfortunately trying to engage people in London isn't easy given the general 'getouttamy****ingwaycan'tyouseeI'minahurry!' attitudes. This, folks moving away from Monsters or the city and minor personal differences mean this group has largely falled apart now.I couldn't say whether you bothered to slip out from beyhind your keyboard and attend any of these since your registration is incomplete. Although on the odd occasion you stop typing like a troll, you're clearly articulate and technically knowledgeable.
Perhaps whover's running the club in future will be more rigourous about registrations and delete your account?

But it is your opinion? I've only ever heard that once before, can't remember who from perhaps you're quoting yourself? isn't that how fake news spreads, just repeating bollocks without checking it out?

Absolutely wrong but I've had a few requests to get rid of you, I have trouble seeing why I resisted now. The reason we've avoided pruning the database is last time someone tried it broke the forum.

Don't worry about it.

I'll try not to

A few truths there

As above, not really any truth I can see. Thanks for your support too though Stewart.
Perhaps whoever runs the club next will also be less willing to run around re-affiliating folks who've had nothing to do with the club whatsoever for two years and ignored all my emails, at very short notice, when they suddenly realise they're no longer eligible for discount WDW tickets?

all hate mail to the usual address, thanks

... and thanks to those who've actually voiced their support

Maggsy
13-03-2018, 01:04 PM
That's his standard approach I believe :chuckle:

He's certainly a silly blunt!

Nottsbiker
13-03-2018, 01:57 PM
Thanks for the support Ben, if you were in London I'd have dropped off the spare cans I gave you a couple of years ago and saved you the postage, but hey-ho people have short memories.
This forum is a 'vehicle' that makes it relatively easy for someone to set up a local meetings etc. if there isn't one there already, sorry no-one in Nottingham could be bothered in the last few years. FWIW the other club you're a member of seems far cliquier to me.

Sorry if my post appeared to support Mr Blunt - it was a passing attempt at sarcasm and not intended to be anything other than a dig at him.

Yes I did receive those cans from you and I have them sat in my loft ready for MOT times when I get my 900 built later this spring. In the spirit of how you gave them to me I gave my cored can components to a young lad on Facebook for postage so hopefully can be credited with doing a similar good deed like you did for me.

Just for the record I agree with the masses here! If it were not for splitting up with my ex before Christmas and having to pay her £40k I'd be on my Monster by now. Only found out today at work I'm not being made redundant so can risk buying some flatslides (stock carbs are shot) - I've been under threat for 5 months....

I wont take any offence as I don't think any was actually intended :)

Ben

slob
13-03-2018, 02:04 PM
In which case I appologise

Nottsbiker
13-03-2018, 02:54 PM
In which case I appologise

No worries matey :mand:

buzzbomb
13-03-2018, 03:05 PM
I don't know about the London Club but up here in the sunny northwest for the last 15 months the :ukm: has been gradually growing in numbers at our monthly meetings so you see once someone makes a move (thanks Garry for rattling Mikes cage) the group comes together.

As Rob stated Lars is from Norway and has attended WDW four times travelling down sometimes on his own to stay with the group that used to stay at the villa, he's a true ducatisti and his input is always factual.

It's a shame that you'll be stepping down Rob so a big thanks from us up norf and let's hope that we get someone good to fill the boots that you're vacating..

jonzi
13-03-2018, 03:06 PM
... It's a shame that you'll be stepping down Rob so a big thanks from us up norf and let's hope that we get someone good to fill the boots that you're vacating..

I vote Rob for president.

Shuffy
13-03-2018, 05:20 PM

I second that!!!

Pedro
13-03-2018, 05:32 PM

Me too, he does a sh*t load behind the scenes the majority never see.

If he’s willing, I suggest he stays as president but we give him some help - one active member has already offered their time

I’ve been doing membership approvals for years now and generally been quite relaxed as I know some people are shy about revealing details. Rest assured addresses etc can’t generally be seen. What I would say is that applications where the person is being deliberately vague or elusive will get more scrutiny before approval in the future. Trolls will not be tolerated.

My experience of this forum over nearly 15 years is its inclusive and not centred on London - frankly the club is only as good as the efforts made by area reps etc. So Mr Blunt if you think it’s unwelcoming either put your money where your mouth is and organise something local to you (sorry can’t be bothered to see where you live, assuming you’ve not left that blank) or shut up

Ped
PS appreciate all the supportive comments from the decent folk on here.

Mr Gazza
13-03-2018, 05:53 PM
Hey Maggsy, thanks for reminding me about the Coast to Coast run. It was a real blast and we all met lots of great folks from across the Country.
Thanks again to everyone involved in that and for forgiving me for the chaos that ensued towards the end.

Thanks to all for making this such a great club, it would be totally unfair to single anyone out for special thanks when we are such a smashing collective.

BLUNT. I was one of the people who complained to Slob about you, as even from the very start your posts have been destructive. Rob is a nice enough guy to give you a second chance and some considerable rope.... You're at the end of the rope now and it's time to leave.

I won't join in with those that have called you a twat as that's just plain rude and not in my nature. However if I only thought it, it wouldn't be so bad.

In which case; I THINK YOU ARE A TWAT.

ricky
13-03-2018, 06:52 PM
Oooooooooo kkkk then..... i was just saying hi! Holy ****!! Lol.

BLUNT
13-03-2018, 07:09 PM
i was just saying hi!

Hi there Ricky!

ricky
13-03-2018, 08:04 PM
No harm mr Blunt but i dont think ur someone i want to make acquaintance with... i dont do negativity and people i have known for a long time dont have a very good opinion of u! Plus u hijacked my post with nonsense!

uksurfer
13-03-2018, 08:27 PM
Well that cleared the air Rob, good on you

I hope your successor is up for the challenge.

:ukm:

And welcome back Ricky, good luck with finding the S4 mate

SteveG
13-03-2018, 08:57 PM
Blimey! Hijack or what... ?:banghead:

Hi Ricky. Never met you, fairly new to the forum myself. Not London but Southern based Monster lover here. Sometimes work in Craigavon but generally fly over. Would love to do a tour of the Emerald Isle on the bike sometime and if I do I’ll give you a shout. I'm maybe too tall for your club though unless compared to a basketball team...

I’ll resist temptation to call blunt a twat. Ahh.. no, I can’t. Sorry... it was the drink made me say it.. :booze:

Anyway .. hello.

+ and thanks to the guys who have given much to make this place run.

ricky
13-03-2018, 09:43 PM
Hi stevie g! Poor u have to work in craigavon!! Lol i usually have a spare bike or 2 so give me a shout anytime!

BLUNT
14-03-2018, 10:44 AM
To all you guys who have used bad language and attempted to insult me with childish comments - you are far too sensitive and I struggle to believe you actually ride bikes.

It's water off a duck's back to me.

jonzi
14-03-2018, 10:50 AM
...childish comments...

...I struggle to believe you actually ride bikes...

Very good.

I have been on here a few years now, and in that time I struggle to recall some one that has brought so little to the forum. You make the occasional helpful post, but 90% of the time your posts are negative, argumentative and just plain rotten.

If any one wants to vote for me as club president, then I will ban this fool, and relinquish my role.

Vote Jonzi.

utopia
14-03-2018, 11:31 AM
So bikers are supposed to be insensitive, are they ?
I think you've got the wrong club, mate.
Go and join one where they **** on each other's jeans.

I have refrained from using bad or insulting language since your first postings on this forum, but when your reasoning is so twisted and your attitude so aggressive, the temptation to do so is certainly there.

But if its water off a duck's back to you, why do you bother to reply ?

Shame really, cos I thought some of your more recent posts had shown signs of mellowing.

Please just go away quietly now.
There, is that polite enough for you, or are you so sensitive that you will still need to respond.

Mr Gazza
14-03-2018, 12:07 PM
I struggle...

What part of f#ck off is that you don't understand?

Maggsy
14-03-2018, 12:52 PM
To all you guys who have used bad language and attempted to insult me with childish comments - you are far too sensitive and I struggle to believe you actually ride bikes.

It's water off a duck's back to me.

We're not insulting you, we're describing you!

utopia
14-03-2018, 01:25 PM
And by the way ....

Since this thread has already been swallowed up by other stuff, I would like to digress further and say that the silver lining (there always is one ;) ) is that it has demonstrated that our current club officials have done an excellent job in remaining tolerant and free while still addressing complicated issues .. and all done quietly behind the scenes.
Speaks for itself really.
Selection of officials is about much more than just getting the admin done. Its about the image that the club projects and the values that it aspires to.
I'm sure there are others who would also do a good job but if it aint broke ..... ?
Shame about the Triumph but apart from that, I'd like to go with the status quo again, if they're up for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7-z4Dz5ZU4

Moco1961
14-03-2018, 07:39 PM
Bloody hell, I only took my eye off the ball for a couple of days....firstly, hi Ricky, I don't know you but already I feel we could share a pint and have the criac!

This club has been welcoming to many,including myself from wherever we are based. There is a platform to share knowledge, share humour and most importantly to interact with like minded enthusiasts.

18 months ago when , through this forum, a few such like minded souls connected and we decided a revival of the North West region was worth a punt. During those early days I was offered assistance by Slob and Mr Gazza as well as forming friendships with buzzbomb and mutley. Fast forward to right now and we have a group to be proud of in the North West, people who 18 months ago didn't know each other but now are genuine friends, yes we meet for breakfast and yes we had a Christmas party.......because we want to and do you know what? It has all happened due to this forum.

Rob and the team have done a great job keeping this thing going, long may it continue.......:ukm:

ricky
14-03-2018, 08:56 PM
Hi mate yep im all about the pints and craic!!! This club was a massive part of my life for such a long time ive never had anything else but friendship & advice!

Albie
14-03-2018, 09:03 PM
This is exciting..:twak::twak::twak:

slob
14-03-2018, 09:46 PM
Yeah. I’ll miss you about as long as <<clickety>>

... oops