PDA

View Full Version : Individual Air Filters

Bitza
08-03-2018, 06:10 PM
Hi, has anyone had experience of replacing the original air-box on 2v injection Monsters, with a pair of individual (for each intake) air filters. What makes are there, which are the best, what sizes are available for 1000SD models? Bitza.

jerry
08-03-2018, 07:12 PM
i tried it on an S4 and it was a failure even with a PC3 and new maps the bike would not run well toweak at all reves , with PC3 and modified airbox and K^N its perfect

Dukedesmo
08-03-2018, 07:39 PM
I would always use an airbox if possible.

My Monster has separate filters but I'm sure a large airbox would work better - it's just not possible to devise one on the split single carb setup..

Nickj
08-03-2018, 08:13 PM
They seem to upset the resonances in the inlets, so you can probably specifically tune it to be good in one area but not in all. That'll be loosing the airbox rather than the filters themselves though ... probably

Luddite
08-03-2018, 08:18 PM
Some interesting information and observations here...

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=55716

Nasher
09-03-2018, 06:33 AM
Some interesting information and observations here...

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=55716

I've not updated that thread lately, I've not updated much on any forum I use recently due to having a massive health scare, but I do still plan to swap the K&Ns on the M900 for the airbox I sourced.
Only this week I picked up a DP filter to go with it, and am hoping to get some time over the next month or so to fit them.

I'd really like to get the M900 on a dyno as it is and after I've fitted the airbox, mainly as research for the 900SS I'm building, but trying to find a Dyno on the South coast that still knows what to do when you don't just plug a laptop in is impossible.

Nasher

Luddite
09-03-2018, 10:23 AM
I'd really like to get the M900 on a dyno as it is and after I've fitted the airbox, mainly as research for the 900SS I'm building, but trying to find a Dyno on the South coast that still knows what to do when you don't just plug a laptop in is impossible.

Nasher

I can personally thoroughly recommend Nick and Chris at Double Take Motorcycles in Southampton. https://m.facebook.com/DoubleTakeMotorcycles/

They did good work on my old S2R.

They're both old school racers and really know their way around a set of carbs. I saw them convert a customer's Bimota V-due from EFI to carbs and save the owner from premature baldness (from tearing his hair out because of the terrible fuelling).

Yes, their dyno runs Dynojet software but they also have the knowledge in their heads, not just on a disc.

They do a lot of work with Wilf at Moto Rapido so also have plenty of actual Ducati experience. When I popped in a few days ago, they had just finished dynoing Wilf's BSB Panigale prior to them shipping out to Spain for pre-season testing.

Give them a call or pop in (closed on Mondays).

jerry
09-03-2018, 05:47 PM
you can get individual air filters , and pod filter to work ok on carby bikes but it will still need setting up

Nasher
09-03-2018, 05:58 PM
I can personally thoroughly recommend Nick and Chris at Double Take Motorcycles in Southampton. https://m.facebook.com/DoubleTakeMotorcycles/

They did good work on my old S2R.

They're both old school racers and really know their way around a set of carbs. I saw them convert a customer's Bimota V-due from EFI to carbs and save the owner from premature baldness (from tearing his hair out because of the terrible fuelling).

Yes, their dyno runs Dynojet software but they also have the knowledge in their heads, not just on a disc.

They do a lot of work with Wilf at Moto Rapido so also have plenty of actual Ducati experience. When I popped in a few days ago, they had just finished dynoing Wilf's BSB Panigale prior to them shipping out to Spain for pre-season testing.

Give them a call or pop in (closed on Mondays).

I called them @18 months ago following a recommendation on here to enquire about putting the M900 on their Dyno just to see how well it was set up as the Filters, Dynojet kit etc were all fitted before I brought the bike.

Whoever it was that answered the phone was not interested, made me feel like I was bothering him, and said that because a Carbed bike takes more time to adjust they were too busy to consider it for a few weeks.
I took that to mean they just want to plug bikes in and get them out the door again.

Nasher

Luddite
09-03-2018, 07:25 PM
Sorry to hear that, Nasher. As I said, I've only ever had positive experiences with them; more than once, they've done little jobs for me and refused payment.

As far as I know, there is just the two of them and so they can get very busy but it's disappointing that you effectively got the brush-off.

Capo
09-03-2018, 08:04 PM
The problem is a lack of experience and skills in carburettor tuning. Plus it is time and labour intensive