PDA

View Full Version : Covering Alli Cans

Richard_S
10-03-2004, 09:45 AM
Being a complete duffer I have managed to scratch one of my cans pretty badly. In my attempts to tone it down I have made it worse and it now looks terrible.

Being a tart I cannot live with it and want to get it sorted ASAP, but as the cans are are brushed alli I think my choices are pretty limited.

I reckon either I have to get them re-sleeved or painted (???)

I'd prefer to have them painted but I don't know how practical that would be with the heat that they generate.

Has anyone else re-covered, re sleeved, painted alli cans?

Any tips, costs ets would be appreciated and if there anything else that I could do please let me know!

Winner gets a big kiss :D

Salute

nid
10-03-2004, 09:58 AM
I have never done this on a motor bike but have on my old beaten up land rover (don't ask).
I know that you can get special high temperature exhaust spray paint (although I have only seen it in matt black). You could spray them with that. I got it from halfords.
The only thing though is that it is SPRAY paint and so you will have to remove your cans to spray them (or the whole bike goes black) and that because it is so thin it will not fill any scratches that you may have. So although your cans may be the right colour, they may not be the right shape!
And no, I don't know of any high temp filler.....

NattyBoy
10-03-2004, 10:37 AM
Your an absolute million to get a good finish with paint, let alone get it to match with the other side...dont think you can get a sleeve either..

If I were you id be patent and trawl ebay..loads of std cans on there (breakers another option obviously).

Or if your that much of a tart, buy some luvverly new sil motor pipes!!!! (carbon/titanium or ally available in 3 different noise levels).

Was that positive enough???!!!:lol:

Best 'o luck

Nat

Richard_S
10-03-2004, 11:14 AM
I have got lovely sills already ; only one of them is now pretty fecked cosmetically. I did like the sound of that black matt paint idea (i would love em in black) but Im not a great painter and if its that tricky I don't fancy my chances

nid
10-03-2004, 12:14 PM
Its no more tricky than normal spray painting out of a can. If you haven't done this before, I wouldn't try here - its an easy way to make a complete pigs ear of one of the more prominent 'features' of your bike!

Bon Chance, mon brave

superlight3
10-03-2004, 12:22 PM
Some Sil Motor cans can be re-sleeved with Termignoni or Remus re-build kits which are readily available from factory.

Hope that gives you something to think about (you can keep the big sloppy kiss!)

Cheers.

Lee.

Richard_S
10-03-2004, 01:09 PM
as a ball park how much would re-sleeving be?

gary tompkins
10-03-2004, 01:22 PM
James from the Bognor area had his 600 dark's cans painted in a funky high temp. black crinkle finish. I think it was done at the same time he had them converted to "LOUD MODE" by having innards removed, but not sure who did it for him.

You could try sending him a PM?

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/member.php?s=&action=getinfo&userid=225