PDA

View Full Version : GPS on yer bike - What do you think?

NewMon
09-03-2004, 07:26 PM
I have a GPS (Garmin GPS V) which I bought 'cos I can use it on bike or in car. I find it invaluable especially if I'm working and need to turn up on time. Reactions from others to my having it on the bike range from "I want one" to "you twat!". I'm interested in your opinion.

For those of you who have never used one, here are my thoughts:

Best for the last mile or so especially if finding a back street in an unfamiliar city centre.

Can be a problem to read at speed but you need to go slow for that last mile. Lack of speed made up for by no wrong turns.

Needs to be powered off the bike/car battery otherwise it eats AAs.

Anything that means I don't have to keep stopping to look at a map on a one day run to the Gironde has got to be good.

Fire away!

Pedro
09-03-2004, 09:33 PM
Based on his immaculate navigation record over the last year, I think club funds should be used to buy Boozy Bob one........

:D :D

Sorry Bob!!

Ped

BoozyBOB
13-03-2004, 07:08 PM
oi...
life is an adveture...(or is that a mistery tour??)

Paranoid Dave
13-03-2004, 07:20 PM
I thought getting lost was part of the fun.

If i'm going on a journey I plan via multi map the night before. I'd rather trust a street map than any computer. That way if i do get lost "the paper got wet" or "it was in a crease in the paper" or "im **** at reading my directions" :D

A Yerbury
13-03-2004, 07:39 PM
I need one of those devices that intercept police transmissions....
no, I really do!

or I could get a wing mirror.
Alex

spacemonkey
13-03-2004, 10:04 PM
The trouble with wing mirrors is that at cetain revs you get blue lights flashing in them but if you then open it up they go away again. Is this some kind of dodgy electrical fault?

NewMon
14-03-2004, 07:19 AM
That way if i do get lost "the paper got wet" or "it was in a crease in the paper" or "im **** at reading my directions"

I guess the excuses just get more high-tech: "The batteries in me map failed" or "Someone switched the satellites off!" or "I'm **** at reading my GPS" :)

A Yerbury
14-03-2004, 07:43 AM
flashing lights ? have u been at the embalming juice again! at the moment ALL lights = bad - flashing or not!

steviej
14-03-2004, 08:33 AM
Wing Mirrors, what wing mirrors????? :eek: :eek:

Concentrate on whats in front, if it's behind you you've either passed it or it can't catch up. So forget 'em. :p :p

Blue Light Occifer? I thought you were an ambulance, I was trying to get out of your way.:p :p :burnout:

SazzaG
14-03-2004, 09:28 AM
We've got a Garmin Etrex Vista that we use for walking and in the car. My other half used to use it on his R6 - he bought a suction cup bracket for it, and stuck it on the tank.

As NewMon said, you can only really use it at low speeds. I don't think I'd ever use it, 'cos I'd probably be looking at it too much, and ride into something!

It would be quite handy if you could get a speaking one with an earpiece...

Saz

A Yerbury
14-03-2004, 09:33 AM
Wing Mirrors, what wing mirrors?????

my thoughts exactly untill the boys in blue pulled up and hauled my sorry arse into pentonville for 2 weeks!

steviej
14-03-2004, 09:52 AM
Alex,

Wot on earth did you do man??:eek:

A Yerbury
14-03-2004, 09:57 AM
a couple of ales officer..(not the first time) still, its behind me now!

steviej
14-03-2004, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by A Yerbury
a couple of ales officer..(not the first time) still, its behind me now!

It's behind me now!

You see. You don't need mirrors after all;)

A Yerbury
14-03-2004, 10:15 AM
I nearly ran with that pun myself! ;)

steviej
14-03-2004, 11:00 AM
sorted ar' kid...............

JMo
09-04-2004, 06:45 PM
... ahem.

I think they are good for off-road use, but on-road of limited use unless you have the streetmap software and could have that facility that directs you by speach (as Sazza suggests) like they do in some cars - and particuarly if you're in town, where it's a bit dodgy to be looking down at the tank the whole time really...

Of course if you can read a map and remember a few directions (ahem), you shouldn't need one on road at all... same goes for off-road to be honest (in this country at least) unless you are in open country with few landmarks...

But they are a great gadget, and no mistake!

xxx