PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from Shropshire

FJ43
02-12-2017, 08:34 AM
I am in the process of building something a bit different, a 1980s TT2 "Style " Track Bike, based on a Monster 695.
I started off with the idea of building a full TT2 Replica, but the price of Donor Bike, Frame Kit and all of the extras put me off.
Starting point a 2007 695, now full stripped, Clip Ons, Rear Sets, Electrics relocated, Alloy Tank being fabricated, TT2 Seat and Fairing waiting to be fitted.
Will post photos in the new year, anyone done anything similar ?

Grumpy
02-12-2017, 03:31 PM
Welcome aboard!
Sounds an interesting project, lots of photos as you progress!!

Mr Gazza
02-12-2017, 03:49 PM
Hello, welcome and good luck with the project.

We were looking at a TT2 at Peterborough a few weeks back, on the DOC stand.
Are you reversing the rear head back to where it was on the Pantah engine? Or just doing a superficial job with the bodywork?

And +1 for what Grumpy says about photos

Darkness
02-12-2017, 05:07 PM
Welcome aboard!

....Are you reversing the rear head back to where it was on the Pantah engine?

Is there any advantage to turning the head apart from the look?

And another +1 for photo's: without photo's it didn't happen. :spin:

Darkness
02-12-2017, 06:35 PM
The trellis frame and the rear carb are pretty prominent on the TT2:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ducati+Tt2&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-au&client=safari#imgrc=ZLg8229PmJeuuM:

FJ43
02-12-2017, 08:28 PM
Hello, welcome and good luck with the project.

We were looking at a TT2 at Peterborough a few weeks back, on the DOC stand.
Are you reversing the rear head back to where it was on the Pantah engine? Or just doing a superficial job with the bodywork?

And +1 for what Grumpy says about photos

Believe me I know what a TT2 looks like I used to beat them regularly with my F2 Honda in the 80s
It will just be a "superficial" job to the tune of about £5k, but it will start on the button, it will be reliable and I will get entries at Classic events !.
Look out for the photos !!! .

Darkness
02-12-2017, 09:02 PM
Believe me I know what a TT2 looks like I used to beat them regularly with my F2 Honda in the 80s
It will just be a "superficial" job to the tune of about £5k, but it will start on the button, it will be reliable and I will get entries at Classic events !.
Look out for the photos !!! .

That's quite a premium over the current cost of a CBR 600, so it's good to see you now recognise quality. :D:D

FJ43
03-12-2017, 07:15 AM
That's quite a premium over the current cost of a CBR 600, so it's good to see you now recognise quality. :D:D

The Honda was a CB500, I don't think the CBR had been invented in 1980, this is my 6th. Ducati, the first was a 175 Silverstone in 1962, my last a 748 in 2001.
The 695 was chosen a start point for my latest project as the are so cheap to buy, and plenty of parts on E-bay !

buzzbomb
03-12-2017, 07:43 AM
Frank you have a PM in your in box.

Geoff.

Darkness
03-12-2017, 08:11 AM
The Honda was a CB500, I don't think the CBR had been invented in 1980...

No, I don't think it had been, though neither had the TT2?

It's easy to see how the budget runs away on a full TT2 replica:
http://www.twowheelclassics.co.uk/catalogue/Ducati_TT2_Chassis_Kit.html

It shall be interesting to see where you go as it's possible to build a very useable bike for far less outlay.

FJ43
03-12-2017, 09:56 AM
No, I don't think it had been, though neither had the TT2?

It's easy to see how the budget runs away on a full TT2 replica:
http://www.twowheelclassics.co.uk/catalogue/Ducati_TT2_Chassis_Kit.html

It shall be interesting to see where you go as it's possible to build a very useable bike for far less outlay.

The bike is coming on well, and should be complete by February, I have bought a lot of my parts from Jim at 2WC. and to build a "Authentic Replica" that would qualify for Classic Racing you could go well over £20k.
After the Donor Bike and Frame Kit its all of the parts and work to finish it off that really bump up the price.
For the Classic Parades that I do, a "Look a Like" is generally accepted, that is why I chose the 695 as my start point, its the last Monster with a traditional swing arm etc. and at £2.5 k for a bike with 12k miles, new belts and service history, no contest.
I will post photos in the new year.

Mr Gazza
03-12-2017, 09:58 AM
Forgive me being a little obsessed with a forward facing rear exhaust, I think it looks the business and an iconic feature of the earlier twins.
There was a fellow who posted on another Ducati forum a few years back, who did a fantastic job on a TT2 replica. I think the donor engine was a 600 or possibly a 750.
He removed the valve seats, built up the sockets with weld and machined new seats in the opposite locations. He had to use a horizontal head camshaft in the vertical head, and do some thinking about the timing.. it worked though.
I have a notion that it was on Ducati Up North, but I can't find it now.

There is (or was) a (re-)reversed head available for 900 engines, from Germany, but costs as much as new bike!

I believe the Paso was the first twin to feature a reversed head and we now accept that as the normal way round.

Since you can't really see the rear pipe on a faired TT2, I think I might be tempted to try and jig a cut-away dummy carb behind the pot of a 695 just for effect. Or maybe not?

FJ43
03-12-2017, 10:40 AM
Forgive me being a little obsessed with a forward facing rear exhaust, I think it looks the business and an iconic feature of the earlier twins.
There was a fellow who posted on another Ducati forum a few years back, who did a fantastic job on a TT2 replica. I think the donor engine was a 600 or possibly a 750.
He removed the valve seats, built up the sockets with weld and machined new seats in the opposite locations. He had to use a horizontal head camshaft in the vertical head, and do some thinking about the timing.. it worked though.
I have a notion that it was on Ducati Up North, but I can't find it now.

There is (or was) a (re-)reversed head available for 900 engines, from Germany, but costs as much as new bike!

I believe the Paso was the first twin to feature a reversed head and we now accept that as the normal way round.

Since you can't really see the rear pipe on a faired TT2, I think I might be tempted to try and jig a cut-away dummy carb behind the pot of a 695 just for effect. Or maybe not?

I like the thought but it all sound very complicated to me, I think that I only likely to get the "reverse head" look is if I put my helmet on back to front !.

Mr Gazza
03-12-2017, 10:57 AM
:chuckle::chuckle::chuckle::thumbsup: