PDA

View Full Version : New to the group and looking to sell my S2R800.

Jon_Yale
06-11-2017, 05:04 PM
Hi all,

New to group but not new to Monsters. I brought my 2005 Monster S2R800 about 4 or 5 years ago when I first started riding and it has been with me ever since. I have ridden it in all weather and its been truly awesome. It such a gorgeous looking thing and has honestly never done me wrong, until....

This is kinda my main reason for wanting to join the club and get involved with people who A. know what they are talking about and B. Have a passion for Monsters.

So I am looking to sell my monster as its just not working right. I have looked into the issue and spoken to Ducati themselves and have come to the "conclusion" that it may be the main bearing which has gone. Basically its down on power and is quite noisy, even for a Ducati.. Millage is - 23869

Id love to hear from anyone who is interested in a winter project/fixer upper. If someone wants to make me an offer, please do. Millage is - 23869.
I'm looking at £1500.

Thanks, I look forward to hearing from you guys.
Pics;
https://photos.app.goo.gl/FbPDVKcNQNHCvTjW2

Jon_Yale
06-11-2017, 05:05 PM
https://photos.app.goo.gl/FbPDVKcNQNHCvTjW2

Zimbo
06-11-2017, 06:57 PM
What sort of noise is it making?? The main bearings are pretty reliable generally, and I would have thought it wouldn't run for long with a main bearing gone and would get quite a bit worse fairly quickly. I also wouldn't have thought it would drop the power output by much? Have you started by looking at the common causes of noisy engines and loss of power / poor starting, such as valve clearances?
If you do decide to sell it, £1500 seems quite reasonable ....

Dave G
06-11-2017, 07:53 PM
Also worth checking the clutch nut which has been an issue on some S2r bikes, it backs out and if left can cause big problems- relatively straightforward to fix if caught in time though.

Jon_Yale
06-11-2017, 08:07 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys.

So to get more specific, the bike does still run but its definitely down on power. The ‘noise’ isn’t noticble at idle bit is very clear when running. Described basically it sounds like something metal is banging into the inside of the engine, increases as the revs do.
I can defiantly check the clutch idea however, the clutch has only recently been replaced, so that might rule that out?

I really appreciate your input on this guys. I would ofcourse rather not sell the bike if it’s a simple fix. Ducati painted a rather dank picture which did put me off trying to fix.

Mr Gazza
06-11-2017, 08:25 PM
Who is "Ducati" in this instance. The prognosis sounds more like an off the cuff remark that an informed diagnosis.

I believe that the S2R800 can suffer from a breakage of a mechanism at the back of the clutch...Can't remember the details now, but I read it on here somewhere.
I would suspect poor workmanship or components, if the clutch has recently been changed.

Personally mate, I would get a second opinion... Can you get the bike to Moto Rapido?

Jon_Yale
07-11-2017, 07:19 AM
I agree that some further investigation is probably required.
‘Ducati’ in this instance is Alton Ducati however, this was only a conversation I had with there mechanic over the phone. I guess my main issue is trying to weigh up the cost of paying someone to investigate the issue and potentially fix it verses the value of bike itself. The advantage is that, it’s winter so I have plenty of time to think about it. Thanks for all your thoughts though chaps. Appreciate your interest.

Zimbo
07-11-2017, 08:16 AM
My bet is still on valve clearances, can't think of anything else that would cause both a mechanical noise and a noticeable drop in power except loss of compression .... Out of spec valve clearances can be quite noisy / rattly. A big end would be more of a "thump" type knock and would be evident I would have thought at idle.
The clutch issue on the early S2R800 affected some of the first slipper clutch machines, essentially a spring within the clutch mechanism is prone to breaking up. Wouldn't cause a drop in power though ...

Nickj
07-11-2017, 09:42 AM
If the mains are making that much noise there's going to be some metal in the oil, but at 23K I wouldn't expect that if you've been using the bike (and it's had regular oil changes and has seen some servicing)
Having said that my 748 has had a rebuild as a main failed at a spectacularly low mileage although it had been standing for a few years so maybe not surprising I guess.That was no nosier, just had metal flakes in the oil.

Get a second opinion from someone who has actually seen and heard the noise. I'd tend towards valve train just because of the power loss

marchesini
10-11-2017, 06:39 PM
I would suggest that Alex at Proteam looks at it. He's highly recommended by many on this forum and will give you an honest diagnosis and practical advice. He even offers a service to pick and deliver the bike. It might cost a little bit for delivery but at least you'll have piece of mind on what the noise actually is.

You can find them here:
http://www.ducatiproteam.co.uk/collection-delivery/

Cheers Simon

Darkness
10-11-2017, 09:49 PM
I would suggest that Alex at Proteam looks at it. He's highly recommended by many on this forum and will give you an honest diagnosis and practical advice. He even offers a service to pick and deliver the bike. It might cost a little bit for delivery but at least you'll have piece of mind on what the noise actually is.

You can find them here:
http://www.ducatiproteam.co.uk/collection-delivery/

Cheers Simon

Why go all the way to Kent when MotoRapido are just up the M3 at Winnal?

marchesini
10-11-2017, 11:23 PM
Why go all the way to Kent when MotoRapido are just up the M3 at Winnal?

1. Because I can only give my recommendation on who I would trust. I know Proteam and know they know their stuff. I don’t know MotoRapido so obviously wouldn’t be able to recommend them.
2. They offer a collection service which might be of interest because the bike doesn’t sound healthy. As the company would be collecting the bike, the distance is largely irrelevant as the bike and the customer does 0 miles. I’m not sure on the cost of the transportation but looking at their website, it all seems to be pretty reasonable.

Explanations aside, there are obviously good people out there who will be able to look at your bike and give you an honest assessment before you make any decisions either way on what to do next.

Jon_Yale
11-11-2017, 06:55 AM
If the mains are making that much noise there's going to be some metal in the oil, but at 23K I wouldn't expect that if you've been using the bike (and it's had regular oil changes and has seen some servicing)
Having said that my 748 has had a rebuild as a main failed at a spectacularly low mileage although it had been standing for a few years so maybe not surprising I guess.That was no nosier, just had metal flakes in the oil.

Get a second opinion from someone who has actually seen and heard the noise. I'd tend towards valve train just because of the power loss

I did drop the oil off Ducati mechanic recommendation to check the sump plug. I cant remember all of what he said but basically, if I found silver bits of metal on the sump plug it meant one thing and if I found bronze colored bits it meant something else. I found both... But yes, I agree. I need to just take it to someone who knows to have a listen first hand.

Jon_Yale
11-11-2017, 07:01 AM
1. Because I can only give my recommendation on who I would trust. I know Proteam and know they know their stuff. I don’t know MotoRapido so obviously wouldn’t be able to recommend them.
2. They offer a collection service which might be of interest because the bike doesn’t sound healthy. As the company would be collecting the bike, the distance is largely irrelevant as the bike and the customer does 0 miles. I’m not sure on the cost of the transportation but looking at their website, it all seems to be pretty reasonable.

Explanations aside, there are obviously good people out there who will be able to look at your bike and give you an honest assessment before you make any decisions either way on what to do next.

Thanks for the recommendation Marchesini. If I'm honest any excuse not to go to Moto in Winch is a good one, I have had terrible customer service from them in the past (from there sales team) and so actively avoid them when ever possible. I will get in touch with Proteam and see what they say.

Thanks to everyone for there feed back and thoughts.

markh
12-11-2017, 07:38 PM
I’ve had good dealings with both Snells (Alton) and Moto Rapido.