PDA

View Full Version : I need a beer !!

Moco1961
28-10-2017, 04:46 PM
So here is a tale of woe which will hopefully be a warning to all the restorers out there. Confession time, I have a guilty secret....my "other one " is a 1979 Suzuki GS1000.......its at the stage of "restoration " where every part is in boxes ( sound familiar mr Gazza ? )....... So having chatted to buzzbomb earlier this morning about the challenges of single handedly getting a heavy four cylinder engine collected from my LBS into my garage ( skateboard btw)....I decided to tidy up the parts boxes.

All was going well until I got to the wiring loom box.....now it's not got cold yet in these parts but obviously the local field mouse population prefer my garage to the local fields....and have a taste for wire insulation....... I could of cried.....lucky for me they don't eat wire so I just need to replace the lengths that are bare.......what's left of the loom is now in a plastic container as are any other parts with wire attached.

Anyone know a good auto electrician.......pass me a Peroni !!!!!!:cry:

Dukedesmo
28-10-2017, 05:08 PM
single handedly getting a heavy four cylinder engine collected from my LBS into my garage ( skateboard btw)....

Can be useful for storing an engine that needs moving around now and then;

https://www.ducatiforum.co.uk/data/photos/l/8/8528-1509210381-ec8aead6fd9892b8ede414f193e2eff5.jpg

:thumbsup:

Albie
28-10-2017, 05:45 PM
Just contacting a known source he may be able to help. He makes looms for bikes Let you know if he responds

Moco1961
28-10-2017, 05:54 PM
:chuckle:Cheers Albie......... also anyone who is good at vermin control

Mr Gazza
28-10-2017, 06:41 PM
its at the stage of "restoration " where every part is in boxes ( sound familiar mr Gazza ? :

Yep! That sounds all too familiar.
Hopefully I will soon clear all those jobs which need to be done, and start emptying the boxes onto the frame to see what I've got.
One or two of the chaps on here are doing up non-Monsters... Could make some interesting build threads?

I had a Sherpa van once, that the mice got into and nibbled the loom. It had some interesting quirks after that!

Good luck with the build. Keep us posted, and by the way, I'd happily buy you a Beer, (Are you booked in for the Weekender yet?)

Moco1961
28-10-2017, 07:37 PM
thanks, I think it will be a slow build but hey ho as long as the mice don't learn how to get into my plastic containers !!!!!

Beer sounds great, weekender is under consideration, it would be good to meet up, I will let you know.:booze:

Grumpy
28-10-2017, 08:18 PM
Yep! That sounds all too familiar.
Hopefully I will soon clear all those jobs which need to be done, and start emptying the boxes onto the frame to see what I've got.
One or two of the chaps on here are doing up non-Monsters... Could make some interesting build threads?

I had a Sherpa van once, that the mice got into and nibbled the loom. It had some interesting quirks after that!

Good luck with the build. Keep us posted, and by the way, I'd happily buy you a Beer, (Are you booked in for the Weekender yet?)

I know the feeling guys, my Griso is on the work bench, the engine paint is in need of respray, the forks are due an overhaul, and the bodywork some tlc!
The S4 is next. Time to put her back on the road.

But the one which I feel would make an interesting non monster/ Italian rebuild thread, would be the Honda ( wash my mouth out!) CB1100R , D variant, which was swapped for some work in a client's house!
It's 90% complete, obviously the parts missing are the hardest to find, but is the basis for a cracking cafe racer!

Moco1961
29-10-2017, 09:27 AM
But the one which I feel would make an interesting non monster/ Italian rebuild thread, would be the Honda ( wash my mouth out!) CB1100R , D variant, which was swapped for some work in a client's house!

Henry Cole featured a CB1100 r as a resto project on his motorcycle sow, I think it was at the start of this year, no doubt you can get it on catch up tv. Seem to recall it was a complete hedgerow find and he still paid around 2k for it.

Nice project Grumpy:thumbsup:

Albie
29-10-2017, 10:05 AM
David Silver is your friend for Honda. Never had a Honda in my life yet

Darren69
29-10-2017, 10:19 AM
The CBR1100R iirc was a limited edition homologation special which would probably be worth restoring to original spec if you can get the parts, good ones are starting to fetch silly money now like the VF1000R, RC30 and RC45's that followed.

Grumpy
29-10-2017, 08:03 PM
The CBR1100R iirc was a limited edition homologation special which would probably be worth restoring to original spec if you can get the parts, good ones are starting to fetch silly money now like the VF1000R, RC30 and RC45's that followed.

A friend of mine bought a CB1100R when they where new, intact spooky a 'D' variant, the same as I've obtained!
I've started to do my homework, 4050 where built, across the three models,1500 of which were D's.
The biggest part missing, unfortunately, is the upper fairing. Best described as unatanium!
There is a manufacturer in Japan who produces a replica, but it's not identical. So a full resto would be difficult, hence the idea of a cafe racer.
As a foot note, I paid less than a 6th of the amount good old Henry did for his!!!

Stevedesmo
30-10-2017, 06:17 PM
Mike, catch up when we next get out, but it's a piece of....cake to rewire the GS, I did mine in total and all the stuff you need is available from vehicle wiring products
http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu
Wiring diagram, old loom, patience and a methodical approach will result in a cracking blaze in no time at all!

Moco1961
30-10-2017, 06:27 PM
Ahhh Steve, so that's how you got into BBQ !!!!:flamed:

Stevedesmo
30-10-2017, 06:36 PM
You know all electrical components are powered by smoke don't you?
Make a mistake, the smoke gets out and the bits never work again......impeccable logic?

Moco1961
30-10-2017, 07:11 PM
I was convinced it was thunder and lightning.....every time I have a mishap there is usually an escape of light followed by a bang........every day a school day:shocked:

Mark64
02-11-2017, 06:22 PM
So here is a tale of woe which will hopefully be a warning to all the restorers out there. Confession time, I have a guilty secret....my "other one " is a 1979 Suzuki GS1000.......its at the stage of "restoration " where every part is in boxes ( sound familiar mr Gazza ? )....... So having chatted to buzzbomb earlier this morning about the challenges of single handedly getting a heavy four cylinder engine collected from my LBS into my garage ( skateboard btw)....I decided to tidy up the parts boxes.

All was going well until I got to the wiring loom box.....now it's not got cold yet in these parts but obviously the local field mouse population prefer my garage to the local fields....and have a taste for wire insulation....... I could of cried.....lucky for me they don't eat wire so I just need to replace the lengths that are bare.......what's left of the loom is now in a plastic container as are any other parts with wire attached.

Anyone know a good auto electrician.......pass me a Peroni !!!!!!:cry:

Good luck with the restoration - GS1000 was my first big bike, kept it for 7 years, eventually fitted 1100 katana engine + bored it out to 1260, it was pretty quick but a bit of a handful, got rid of it for a GSXR 1100 slabby, I am very fond of GS thousands, I wonder where RCD154X is now?:thumbsup: