PDA

View Full Version : Date announced

slob
16-10-2017, 06:06 PM
http://www.thelasturl.net/ukmoc/WDW18.PNG (http://www.ducati.com/world_ducati_week/what_is_wdw.do)

stopintime
16-10-2017, 07:44 PM
Really?

They usually wait until Misano and GP+WSBK riders are confirmed available = after the calendars are set.

benson
16-10-2017, 08:13 PM
Maybe in 2020 - by then we should be free to travel at that time of year!

Ursa
16-10-2017, 09:05 PM
Really?

They usually wait until Misano and GP+WSBK riders are confirmed available = after the calendars are set.

MotoGP calendar is confirmed and WSBK is on its summer break then.

Going to have to investigate super strength sun block for my pale blue Scottish skin though, Factor 50 wasn't enough last year and it was a few weeks earlier.

stopintime
16-10-2017, 09:20 PM
MotoGP calendar is confirmed and WSBK is on its summer break then.

Excellent - thanks!

ValiantBoy
27-11-2017, 08:38 PM
I'm heading to World Ducati Week 2018, keen to hear from anyone who's done it before, especially if you've taken a bike.

Keen to know if there are lockers so you can store your kit away and wear something a little better suited to the climate.

Are the bikes safe when parked up there? Be an Aladin's Cave for thieving little Luigis, nicking carbon fibre trinkets etc.

What are the costs/prices like, over and above the price of entry?

Any other advice? Any help appreciated.

Cheers,
Dave.

BigOz
27-11-2017, 09:08 PM
They have a couple of stands they run as helmet/kit drops, the staff mark your stuff with a number and give you the matching token and put your stuff safely in the back of the stand.

You get an ID tag for your wrist and one for the bike as part of the ticket and they check both match at the entry and exit. Once in the bikes are parked in rows and there are thousands of them, lots with expensive parts so I think you would be incredibly unlucky for something to go missing.

At the circuit there is a noticeable markup but it is not huge.

It is likely to be roasting hot so a mesh jacket is a sensible purchase. The guided ride-outs are good and the test rides are worth looking at. The rest of the paddock can be looked around in a day but they do have events going on all the time like the racers doing drag races.

utopia
27-11-2017, 10:39 PM
Whenever I've parked my bike at the circuit venue I have always felt pretty confident that it was safe.
I have heard reports of one or two being nicked when parked in the surrounding towns though.
That's probably where you need to be most careful.

It will be super-hot at the circuit.
There are acres of tarmac which soak up the heat all day and blast it back at you.
I arrived late afternoon one year, parked the bike up, removed my perforated summer leather jacket and waited for my soaking wet t-shirt to dry a little before moving on .. but it never did.
I take a wide brimmed straw hat and drink at least 2litres of water.

Saint aka ML
28-11-2017, 06:29 AM
Are all people arriving on Ducatis as at this stage I have 999 and wh n i go i might have 999 or KTM. Lol

slob
28-11-2017, 08:26 AM
Just don't leave a GoPro attached to your bike when you park up, I've heard of a few of those going walkies when people forget to remove them. Also when in the surrounding towns I'd also park a foreign bike with the number plate away from the road, I reckon thieves will target those above Italian bikes, as the you're less likely to spend months hassling the cops once you've gone home.

bigredduke
28-11-2017, 06:08 PM
So, for someone that has never been able to go due to a minor thing called work getting in the way (not any more:drunk:) what goes on at WDW?

How much does it cost? Is accommodation available? Do people ride down from the UK?

What would be a realistic budget? Anything else I need to know?
Thanks

Darren69
28-11-2017, 06:37 PM
So, for someone that has never been able to go due to a minor thing called work getting in the way (not any more:drunk:) what goes on at WDW?

How much does it cost? Is accommodation available? Do people ride down from the UK?

Thanks

Misano in July? Scorchio! If you ride down it will be very hot in Italy but the ride down will probably be amazing!

Capo
28-11-2017, 07:42 PM

Thanks

A trip of 11 days taking in the 100HP club Night of the Screaming Monsters has been arranged, bikes taken down in vans. One place left

stopintime
28-11-2017, 08:05 PM
My experience based on 2010 (June), 2012 (June) and 2014 (July):

Lowest 30 Celsius at night / highest 42 Celsius afternoon. That's in the shade... which more or less became my obsession. Lots of water and salt supplements helps.

I did the 20 min included track session and had a blast. Riding on a MotoGP track is magical.

Lots of other cool things going on. Group rides are well organized. MotoGP + SBK riders, historical (Foggy!!!) and current are doing track stuff, signing your stuff, on-stage presentation. Less than half price outlet for apparel and accessories. Factory and museum yours. Barbeque, fireworks, huge bike parade from the track and through downtown. Great for those who don't mind the heat, pushy Italians and lousy logistics. I'm not a fan, but even as a grumpy fart I'm glad I went.

Not many bike thefts, but it only takes one to ruin your week/month/year. I bring a sturdy disc lock and use my alarm all the time. If street parking was my only option, I simply wouldn't go. Locked garage, thank you!

Previous years I have shared a villa B&B with Brits. My first WDW was great - everything was new and exciting. I wouldn't have attended the other two if it wasn't for my Brit friends and the days in the mountains before and after. Norway -> Alps is 2,000 km each way - covered by ferry and train. Then ~2,000 km mountain riding.

Budget: mountain days ~£ 150 each. Misano days.... depends... but the hotels double/triple their rates this weekend. Typical three star hotel £4-500 for three nights. I want a locked garage, so I'll need to pay a little more. Yes, of course there are less expensive alternatives.

This is MY experience. Even if you're (hopefully not) as heat-grumpy as I am, it's a great experience and I haven't heard anyone saying they regret going.

SteveG
28-11-2017, 08:36 PM
Sounds like an experience. Currently looking at a villa with garage and pool at moment @11 km from circuit.. £500 for 4 nights seems a good deal... just need to check with work tomorrow..

buzzbomb
28-11-2017, 08:46 PM
Capo, Lars blimey what memories yes we did have some great times and were so lucky to have had our B&B but we never started out with negative thoughts just looking forward to new adventures.
It's hard to price a trip to WDW as every ones idea's are different but all I'll say is go for it as you'll have a blast.

MrsC_772
28-11-2017, 10:23 PM
Book accommodation with air con - it would be miserable in the heat without, and book asap as it does get booked really quickly for WDW.

At the circuit, the coolest place is in the grandstands overlooking the hairpin - shade and breeze.

I've stayed in Cattolica - the town is taken over with Ducatisti, the background music is rattling dry clutch and rumbling Termi for the weekend.

I had a less positive experience when I attempted one of the guided ride-outs in 2014 (disorganised, I got left behind so took myself of to lovely Urbino for a consolatory icecream), though I may have been unlucky. Lots of eye candy at the circuit (and some hideous bikes), the chance to ride on track (if you pre-book), various daft competitions between the various race team guys (dirt track, Diavel drag racing). Probably a preview of an unreleased new model (last time the Supersport, previously the Scrambler).

Go to Tavullia to eat at Pizzeria da Rossi - despite the celeb association (and being home to Vale's fan club) food and service were good, and it was good value. But bring mozzie repellant as they're bad in Tavullia. The Simoncelli museum in Coriano was also worth a visit.

I've ridden solo all the way to and from Misano the 3 times I've been, and that has been a key part of the trip. I've taken a fortnight each time, averaging 250 miles per day, with time to play on the mountain passes in the Alps, Route Napoleon etc.

J.P
29-11-2017, 08:33 AM
I can Highly recommend www.bikeshuttle.co.uk to get you to Geneva & back , to save on the miles travelling a chunk of the way by plane.

Any track riding at WDW will require a full set of leathers for your trip, terrible when it's 40 degrees.

ValiantBoy
29-11-2017, 09:06 AM
Cheers for all the advise.

One of the Ducati dealerships down my way is organising the trip; bikes go on a truck and go down a week before us, we fly in and out for the weekend Thursday - Tuesday, staying in Urbino (looks a bit special), 30 minutes from Misano.

The clear message coming through... it's gonna be hot! Well noted, will be prepared; will also take a disc lock; bike also has a tracker, so think I'll be covered.

Now.. what to do about these pasty white legs....

slob
29-11-2017, 09:09 AM
factor 50+

buzzbomb
29-11-2017, 12:53 PM
Eleanor (MrsC) you are a star, I take my hat off to you for the way you make your way too and from WDW on your own some.

Yes a good factor 50+ or you'll end up burnt to a crisp and please give over worrying about the bike as it will be one of thousands.

utopia
29-11-2017, 01:37 PM
Agreed.
In fact I have often thought that we should make a special club trophy to acknowledge this.

:idea:

Steve G .... glad you're coming along.
Hopefully we'll meet up at some point.

SteveG
29-11-2017, 07:49 PM
Agreed.
In fact I have often thought that we should make a special club trophy to acknowledge this.

:idea:

Steve G .... glad you're coming along.
Hopefully we'll meet up at some point.

Cheers... if I make it hopefully won’t have to blag the top bunk in your room like last time out at Lands End...!

MrsC_772
29-11-2017, 09:25 PM
Urbino is my favourite place in Italy (so far). I've had 5 holidays just outside Urbino as well as visiting as part of WDW. It's a proper historic Italian hill town, but also a university city. If you fancy a dose of art/culture (other than, obviously, the Ducati art/culture at Misano), the Ducal Palace Museum is worth a visit. If you just fancy gelato, Sorbetto del Duca keeps calling me back. Beautiful scenery, but potholes in some of the roads between Urbino, Tavullia and Misano make even Surrey B roads look like a racetrack in comparison!

This year I will be using Bikeshuttle to get my bike to and from Geneva, giving me time to enjoy a few days in Sicily with the bike before WDW, and saving the tedious slog back through the northern half of France at the end of the trip, which has always been the least enjoyable part, having left the mountains behind.

J.P
30-11-2017, 08:15 AM
This year I will be using Bikeshuttle to get my bike to and from Geneva, giving me time to enjoy a few days in Sicily with the bike before WDW, and saving the tedious slog back through the northern half of France at the end of the trip, which has always been the least enjoyable part, having left the mountains behind.

Good on you, it makes complete sense to do it that was and save the 1,600 miles total to and from Geneva

Char
30-11-2017, 12:01 PM
everyone rides to the track in t shirts and shorts and most of the pillions only wear bikinis

enjoy :spin:

My favourite bit (other than eating out ) was the guided ride out with a bunch of mad Italians on Diavels to San Marino

Very cheap and included food and a glass of wine :D If you don't do the tour at least visit San Marino :O)