PDA

View Full Version : Early Frame rear end

Nasher
04-10-2017, 04:19 PM
Long shot I know, but does anyone have the rear of an Early Monster frame that they cut off to rid themselves of the tea tray?

I'm not looking to put my own M900 back to standard, but have recently acquired a spare frame that's been cut in the past and want to explore the possibility of manufacturing a small batch of 'repair sections' that could be welded or sleeved onto frames that others want to put back to standard.

Thanks

Nasher.

Mr Gazza
04-10-2017, 04:29 PM
That's a smashing idea. I hope it works out.

There are three, and four hole versions of the tea tray mounting plate.

Nasher
04-10-2017, 04:36 PM
Thanks Mr G

Alternatively it would good to be able to take some detailed measurements off a good frame, but that would of course require me stripping down the back of a bike with each version.

Nasher.

slob
04-10-2017, 05:08 PM
I have a late model (02/03 ie) four hole rear section you're welcome to if you want it.

Nasher
04-10-2017, 05:28 PM
Slob

Yes please.

Message me a PAYPAL address and I'll send you some money for it and postage etc.

Nasher

Nasher
04-10-2017, 05:41 PM
So, a bit of research suggests the frame changed from 4 hole on the early bikes to 3 hole on the later bikes at the same time as fuel injection came in.

I'll still take it, but are you sure your 02/03 is 4 hole Slob?

Nasher.

Darkness
04-10-2017, 05:56 PM
Hi Nasher.
I've got a bare '93 frame that you are welcome to look at and measure so long as you are gentle with the new paint. Four holes.

Nasher
04-10-2017, 06:00 PM
Thanks Darkness.

I'm planning a trip to Dorchester for work next week sometime, so will be coming back past your way in the evening.

Would be useful to draw around it on a piece of card, so will let you know.

Nasher.

Mr Gazza
04-10-2017, 08:11 PM
So, a bit of research suggests the frame changed from 4 hole on the early bikes to 3 hole on the later bikes at the same time as fuel injection came in.

I'll still take it, but are you sure your 02/03 is 4 hole Slob?

Nasher.

I have been confused before about which came first, 3 or 4 holes.

My Y2000 bike has three holes, but either side of this seem to be four holes. So it looks like they tried three holes and went back to four?

Nasher
04-10-2017, 08:44 PM
Mr G, looks like you are correct as usual.

My favorite resource for this type of thing, the Stein-Dinse exploded diagrams, show:

93 900 - 4 hole
98 900 - 4 hole
00 900ie - 3 hole
02 900ie - 4 hole
03 1000 - 4 hole

Now the big question is of course, is the later 4 hole pattern the same as the earlier 4 hole pattern.

Nasher

Darkness
04-10-2017, 09:40 PM
Mr G, looks like you are correct as usual.

.....Now the big question is of course, is the later 4 hole pattern the same as the earlier 4 hole pattern.

Nasher

Nope: I had to cut off the studs and re-drill fixings to fit a late four stud tea tray to a '94 frame. :spin:

350TSS
04-10-2017, 10:17 PM
I have a 93 four hole you can have, I even kept the passenger grab rails if you want those

utopia
04-10-2017, 11:05 PM
I have an early frame, which I believe is four hole.
Its certainly different to my yr2000, 3 hole frame.
Its a scrapper actually, but I was going to use it as a jig for making luggage racks ... which project has stalled lately but not completely gone away.
I will also eventually use it as the top of a rose arch in my garden .. in fact I could do with another to get the required width.
But anyway, said frame hangs bare and unchopped on my shed wall and is easily accessible to measure .... and/or you could borrow it longish term ... but I'm in leicester.

Nasher
05-10-2017, 06:50 AM
I have a 93 four hole you can have, I even kept the passenger grab rails if you want those

Hi.
Many thanks, could you PM me a PAYPAL address and I'll send you some postage money.

I think it's the one that will be most use as it's repair sections for the early bikes I'd look at first.

I have an early frame, which I believe is four hole.
Its certainly different to my yr2000, 3 hole frame.
Its a scrapper actually, but I was going to use it as a jig for making luggage racks ... which project has stalled lately but not completely gone away.
I will also eventually use it as the top of a rose arch in my garden .. in fact I could do with another to get the required width.
But anyway, said frame hangs bare and unchopped on my shed wall and is easily accessible to measure .... and/or you could borrow it longish term ... but I'm in leicester.

Any chance you could trace around the back end as accurately as possible and post the bit of paper to me.

I need to see as many of these as possible, and see what's common and what's not.

Thanks all

Nasher.

utopia
24-10-2017, 03:35 AM
Hi.
Any chance you could trace around the back end as accurately as possible and post the bit of paper to me.
Nasher.

Oops .. this has slipped my mind.
But this evening my eye fell on the frame, dangling from a hook in the shed, and my memory was jolted.
Will trace and post pretty quick, hopefully tomorrow.
Soz.