PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Wheels

Bitza
31-08-2017, 07:50 PM
Hi all, am considering getting some lighter wheels for my 94 M900 (with 2001 forks), has anyone any advice/suggestions, especially re carbon wheels. Thank, Bitza.

damien666
31-08-2017, 11:47 PM
A lot of people go for BST, but having seen the finish on the Rotobox, i know where my money would be going. ( if you like the design that is, not everyones cuppa i know).
But in reality i crave a pair of Kineo spoked wheels, in black and gold! :cry:

Darren69
01-09-2017, 05:06 AM
A lot of people go for BST, but having seen the finish on the Rotobox, i know where my money would be going. ( if you like the design that is, not everyones cuppa i know).
But in reality i crave a pair of Kineo spoked wheels, in black and gold! :cry:

You mentioned Kineo, have you see the Alpinas? I quite fancy a pair of them but I don't think they're any lighter than the 5 spoke one on my S

slob
01-09-2017, 07:04 AM
Utopia bought a pair of Dymag seconds last year and he's very happy with them

damien666
01-09-2017, 08:54 AM
You mentioned Kineo, have you see the Alpinas? I quite fancy a pair of them but I don't think they're any lighter than the 5 spoke one on my S

Yes i love the look of alpina wheels, it's the spoke to rim design on the Kineo which i think is a very simple/ clever idea especially with tubeless tyres.
No i doubt any weight saving. More form over function on these for me. :thumbsup:

utopia
01-09-2017, 10:25 AM
Cosmetic seconds.
And it was only the front one .. not the rear.
And I still haven't found the cosmetic blemish.

If you do go for carbon, you'll probably end up fitting your own tyres thereafter.
I wouldn't trust anyone else with mine.
Its easy enough though, with the right technique and fairly minimal expenditure.
I use nothing more brutal than a pair of 3 inch plastic bicycle tyre levers to fit my tyres, along with a handful of long cable ties.
You'll need a bead breaker .. I'd recommend the Abba one.
And a balancer .. I got some cheap kit which fits to a paddock stand, rather than buy a dedicated balance "cradle". It works just as well and is much easier to store.

I went for carbon because I was wary of the reported need to have periodic crack and corrosion testing on mag wheels.
Also, I prefer the simpler 5 spoke design to the complicated spokeage of many mag wheels.
But good mags will be almost as light as carbon.

I did consider painting them .. largely to guard against uv degradation.
In the end I didn't bother but its worth considering ... and before you put polish on them.