PDA

View Full Version : Monster Down :(

Wildfire
15-08-2017, 07:50 AM
So on Thursday night, 1 mile from my house a W reg e-Class Merc decided that redlights, traffic laws and the law in general did not apply to them.

Sitting at a very large roundabout where each exit is traffic light controlled (Rosehill on the A217). Lights went yellow, then green, I checked, pulled away, got across the next exit only to see a silver Merc run the lights. I hit the anchors, they did too.

The Ducati Safety pack did it's job and stopped me before hitting them, they stopped and then a split second later pulled away, smashing my indicator and overbalancing me, knocking me over, busting the indicator and cleared off into the distance.

The lovely people behind me hit the horns and as I tried to run after him to get the plate, they tried to drive round me. Eventually someone helped me get the bike up.

Called the police who said as I was ok, they declined to attend the scene and that I should look to find the driver myself. :mad:

Bike was just about ok to get home. When he cleared off he smashed the indicator, breaking the headlight surround, the removable toe peg on the gear lever is broken and the tank has a big ding out of it.

Rang the dealer and they said to do a quick repair will probably be around £1200 - 1500. So insurance it is.

Upon cursory inspection yesterday I may have frame damage :cry: so potential write off. :cry:

Insurance will go through the roof next year and I have to take Sourthern Fail to work and through Waterloo now.

Poor 821.

garry
15-08-2017, 08:03 AM
bugger, that's bad..

Jez900ie
15-08-2017, 11:06 AM
Sorry to read this, WTF is wrong with people...

Moco1961
15-08-2017, 11:20 AM
unbelievable !............... glad to hear that you are ok at least and there are some decent folk around to at least help you move your bike.

MerlinPV12
15-08-2017, 02:06 PM
As Jez says, what is wrong with people! Sorry to hear of your troubles, but pleased your ok.

Darren69
15-08-2017, 02:14 PM
Sorry to hear that. Probably an uninsured driver, and the police don't want to know? Typical! Glad you're ok.

MarkF
15-08-2017, 05:43 PM
Sorry to hear what happened, personally i would report it in person to the Police Station as a failed to stop accident and insist a record is made, if they argue the toss point out that as details have not been exchanged you are legally required to report it under Sect 170 RTA 1988 http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/52/section/170 it pisses me off when people get palmed off like that. At least then you are covered if the other driver decides some maniac motorcyclist attacked their car. Also your insurance company may want it reported anyway.

So a W reg Silver merc may not be traceable and it may be a paperwork exercise, but who knows there maybe an ANPR camera on that road which could help etc. Or maybe I am just a bit old fashioned living in a bygone era before the cuts had consequences.

PS hope my exhaust is okay still!!!

Wildfire
15-08-2017, 10:39 PM
Sorry to hear what happened, personally i would report it in person to the Police Station as a failed to stop accident and insist a record is made, if they argue the toss point out that as details have not been exchanged you are legally required to report it under Sect 170 RTA 1988 http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/52/section/170 it pisses me off when people get palmed off like that. At least then you are covered if the other driver decides some maniac motorcyclist attacked their car. Also your insurance company may want it reported anyway.

So a W reg Silver merc may not be traceable and it may be a paperwork exercise, but who knows there maybe an ANPR camera on that road which could help etc. Or maybe I am just a bit old fashioned living in a bygone era before the cuts had consequences.

PS hope my exhaust is okay still!!!

I got a CAV a number so it has been reported. Sadly checked the roads, no cameras.

The bike went down on the left hand side so manifolds and exhaust are all ok. Sadly there may be frame damage and the bike may be a write off. 😢

slob
15-08-2017, 11:03 PM
that sucks!

Saint aka ML
16-08-2017, 07:40 AM
Go to local shops they might have camera also did you take witness details?

Doggy
16-08-2017, 05:07 PM
Gutted for you mate.

boris
16-08-2017, 06:26 PM
My Positive Thoughts are with you, hang in there. Car Dash-Cams seem to be flavour of the moment, but I can't fathom that given the advances in technology and micro electronics, there isn't one of the High (or low) end helmet manufacturers out there seizing the opportunity to offer an in-built camera into their helmets? Even a simple infinity focus job to a micro SD on a loop would go massive towards the horrors that a lot of us face daily?
Given the general decline in all matters tarmac related I can't believe this isn't exploited..

BLUNT
16-08-2017, 08:04 PM
.....the horrors that a lot of us face daily?
If anyone really feels that they face horrors every day then they lack confidence and should either give up riding or take further training.

The way to stay alive is defensive riding and anticipating bad driving by others - the ride should be enjoyable not viewed as a horror journey.

Wildfire
17-08-2017, 08:43 AM
If anyone really feels that they face horrors every day then they lack confidence and should either give up riding or take further training.

The way to stay alive is defensive riding and anticipating bad driving by others - the ride should be enjoyable not viewed as a horror journey.

I am alive, but in this event, there was little I could do. I did blast it from the lights. Light were clearly green on my end. I did my checks and the car to my right had stopped, the second lane was empty. The car that ran the lights, just decided not to stop for the lights and came through the second lane.

The time before (5 years ago) was the same. Nothing I could have done, aside from not be there. I was standing at a roundabout, both feet on the ground. Stationary traffic. Guy behind me just drove into me. Got out and shouted, "you should have gone!"

Darren69
17-08-2017, 10:57 AM
I am alive, but in this event, there was little I could do. I did blast it from the lights. Light were clearly green on my end. I did my checks and the car to my right had stopped, the second lane was empty. The car that ran the lights, just decided not to stop for the lights and came through the second lane.

The time before (5 years ago) was the same. Nothing I could have done, aside from not be there. I was standing at a roundabout, both feet on the ground. Stationary traffic. Guy behind me just drove into me. Got out and shouted, "you should have gone!"

A similar thing happened to me many years ago, I was punted from behind so hard it bent the Yamaha XS in half and both wings and bull bar on his Vauxhall Frontera were badly dented. I was thrown into the roundabout and lucky for me nothing was coming towards me.

BLUNT
17-08-2017, 11:03 AM
I believe you and didn't mean you specifically - I was replying to Boris about any biker who regards every journey as a horror event.

If bikers do not wish to have further training after passing their test I do recommend the police 'Roadcraft' book. It's full of sensible advice that makes for a safer ride and, although I have been riding for many years since I was 16 years old, I recently bought an updated copy for myself - never any harm in self-criticism.

Wildfire
17-08-2017, 01:20 PM
Yes, Roadcraft and Bikesafe is what has kept me on the road for 5 years accident free. The annoying thing is that if he had just hit the brakes and not done a runner, he wouldn't have clipped me and knocked me over!

Well the good news is that there is no frame damage, just need to see what the price is?

Saint aka ML
17-08-2017, 03:30 PM
Do most work on your own, bars easy, controls easy, indicators easy, fork adjustment easy. If you go via insurance you will pay anyhow

MarkF
17-08-2017, 06:30 PM
Yes, Roadcraft and Bikesafe is what has kept me on the road for 5 years accident free. The annoying thing is that if he had just hit the brakes and not done a runner, he wouldn't have clipped me and knocked me over!

Well the good news is that there is no frame damage, just need to see what the price is?

Great news :)

Jez900ie
17-08-2017, 06:33 PM
Great this might not be a total disaster afterall!

gremlin
17-08-2017, 08:39 PM
Put something on Faceache asking for dash cam footage. Everyone has them these days and you may get lucky. It's so sad when this sort of thing happens, a damned good bike wrecked because somebody thought they were too important to obey traffic signals.

Wildfire
21-08-2017, 02:52 PM
Sadly no luck in obtaining any details despite my efforts :( So it is going to hit me for the next 3-5 years. Balls. But the bill is in at around £4k and it will be put back on the road.

Petej
21-08-2017, 06:57 PM
Sorry to hear this! But sounds promising you can get her back to normal with out too much further grief, hope all gets sorted asap!