PDA

View Full Version : Headlight to fit Monster 620ie 2003

emily's driver
09-08-2017, 09:42 PM
Does anyone have a stock headlight assembly to fit the above model which came with the metal bucket that year? Not bothered if the BOSCH headllight itself is broken, only interested in the hardware, ie bucket, wiring, bucket wiring grommet, chrome bezel, retaining clips and screws. As long as the bucket is not corroded and/or the chrome bezel is in good nick, I'd be interested. I will be having both these parts powder coated and dont want rusty parts to start with. Some very light surface corrosion would be OK! Going to be fitting a Motodemic adaptive LED headlight but dont have the orginal headlight parts to fit it to, since I did an LED conversion last year and sold them on. Current setup is OK, just prefer to change out to the Motodemic option. The current setup is plug n play on the Monster so would consider a straight swap if you are looking for an LED conversion from your stock headlight. If you are interested in a swap you can see pictures of the headlight here on Nonnie's Monster:

https://www.facebook.com/monster620restoration/photos/a.546413798871885.1073741826.546411462205452/575672189279379/?type=3&theater

Mr Gazza
09-08-2017, 09:59 PM
If you know of an LED unit that will fit straight into a Bosch Shell and rim there are plenty on here who would like to know about it.

However I am guessing that the unit you have in mind is for a 7" lamp. The Bosch rim is a strange size like 7 1/2" or something, and pretty much only the Bosch lamp unit will fit it.

Luckily I do make adapter rings that allow you to fit any standard 7" lamp unit into the Bosch rim.
I have recently acquired some more material to make a batch and will be in production fairly soon. Let me know if you need one and I'll try and clear the bench.

P.S. you need to be sure that there is enough room in the Bosch shell for any drivers or fans on the back of the LED unit too... Not much room in there!!

emily's driver
09-08-2017, 10:19 PM
If you know of an LED unit that will fit straight into a Bosch Shell and rim there are plenty on here who would like to know about it.

However I am guessing that the unit you have in mind is for a 7" lamp. The Bosch rim is a strange size like 7 1/2" or something, and pretty much only the Bosch lamp unit will fit it.

Luckily I do make adapter rings that allow you to fit any standard 7" lamp unit into the Bosch rim.
I have recently acquired some more material to make a batch and will be in production fairly soon. Let me know if you need one and I'll try and clear the bench.

P.S. you need to be sure that there is enough room in the Bosch shell for any drivers or fans on the back of the LED unit too... Not much room in there!!

Thanks for the info Gazza. The Motodemic kit comes with an adapter ring so the new LED headlight fits straight into the stock 7" bucket. It has a bunch of heat sinks on the back, so cooling is not a problem. As I said I just need a stock headlight assembly for that year of bike. If you or anyone else has one, happy to buy it at the right price if a swap is of no interest, since I will just sell the plug n play current LED headlight kit thats on the bike at the moment.

Darkness
10-08-2017, 07:16 AM
They do specific conversions for the "classic" Monster keeping the original 7.5" [ish] rim and steel or plastic headlight buckets.

https://motodemic.com/shop/led-headlight-for-ducati-monster/

utopia
10-08-2017, 09:11 AM
A number of us are using Gazza's conversion kits to install replacement, hopefully upgraded light units in the std shell.
Choosing a suitable replacement unit is tricky though, as you don't really know how they will perform until you've actually bought and fitted one.
For this reason, it would be most helpful if you could report back on the performance of the motodemic unit.

..... as per this thread
http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=54693&highlight=headlight

Jez900ie
10-08-2017, 01:58 PM
Are you buying this?
https://motodemic.com/shop/7-inch-adaptive-led-headlight/ That is one expensive light!

As your current LED swap works well, I am curious to know why you want to change again, so if you wouldn't mind sharing your reasons I would be very interested to read your thoughts!

I have changed mine to an LED, which fits the original shell thanks to one of MR Gazza's mod rings. The required "black box" doesn't fit inside the headlamp shell so I extended the wiring so that it is now located above the airbox under the tank. I haven't really used it much due to it being summer (and light nights), and a recent leg operation which has kept me off my bike, though that should all change soon.

Petej
10-08-2017, 02:06 PM
I think I have a bucket from my old S2R in the garage and all the bits, grommit etc. If needed your welcome to it.

Pete

Mr Gazza
10-08-2017, 04:40 PM
Thanks for the info Gazza. The Motodemic kit comes with an adapter ring .....

Ah, you have an adapter coming already. No worries... Sorry for trying to teach you to suck eggs!!

It was the price of the motodemic adapter that got me designing my own. Mine are (will be) about a tenth of the price of Motodemic and can be any colour you like except Chrome or metal finish.

As Utopia said, we would be interested to hear how good or bad the light unit is for reference.
I would also be very interested to see the adapter ring up close, if that would be possible? As you know, I'm only the other side of Norwich from you.

emily's driver
10-08-2017, 08:39 PM
Yes no problem as to reporting back on the Motodemic unit. The only reason I am looking to change the current plug n play LED unit is because I want to move up from the 5.5 inch light back up to the 7 inch unit for cosmetic reasons. As I said the current light set up works fine and has done for over a year, so if anyone wants one I will either swap out with your OEM headlight assembly or sell it on as a compete ready to go kit.

emily's driver
10-08-2017, 08:41 PM
I think I have a bucket from my old S2R in the garage and all the bits, grommit etc. If needed your welcome to it.

Pete

Hi Pete I am interested. Is it the same as the 2003 Monster 620ie? Ie 7 inch metal bucket and chrome bezel? Is there any corrosion?

emily's driver
10-08-2017, 08:46 PM
Are you buying this?
https://motodemic.com/shop/7-inch-adaptive-led-headlight/ That is one expensive light!

As your current LED swap works well, I am curious to know why you want to change again, so if you wouldn't mind sharing your reasons I would be very interested to read your thoughts!

I have changed mine to an LED, which fits the original shell thanks to one of MR Gazza's mod rings. The required "black box" doesn't fit inside the headlamp shell so I extended the wiring so that it is now located above the airbox under the tank. I haven't really used it much due to it being summer (and light nights), and a recent leg operation which has kept me off my bike, though that should all change soon.

Yes thats the one Jez. It is expensive but the budget for Nonnie's Monster was never going to be sensible! To top it off, the engine is currently out after the big ends let go. Pretty gutted after a total engine rebuild last year. Turns out it's probably a small residual piece of glass media from beadblasting the crankcases prior to painting, that must have found its way into an oil gallery and ultimately the business end of the engine and which was wasn't picked up after they were scrupulously cleaned before assembly. Being sorted now, and hope to have the engine back in in a couple of weeks.

Petej
10-08-2017, 08:59 PM
I changed it as it had a small chip in the glass, but from what I remember it was ok, it's in a box in the garage somewhere, I'll dig it out and get you some pics. I believe it's the same yes.

Pete

emily's driver
12-08-2017, 02:41 PM
I changed it as it had a small chip in the glass, but from what I remember it was ok, it's in a box in the garage somewhere, I'll dig it out and get you some pics. I believe it's the same yes.

Pete

That would be great thanks. As I said, not bothered about the actual glass headlight. Just need the bucket, chrome bezel, wiring and the clips and screws if you have them.