PDA

View Full Version : Small end bush 711.1.007.1A

Minkyandbear
02-08-2017, 05:32 PM
After a ring around the main dealers I wonder if by any chance anyone has a small end bush for a 2004 1000 i.e.

Part no 711.1.007.1A

Many thanks,

Paul

Luddite
02-08-2017, 06:42 PM
Have you tried Craig and Luke at Moto Rapido 01962 873981? They're good at getting most parts.

I notice it's the same part as for my old S2R 1000 and no doubt it's been used on numerous models.

Good luck with your search.

Minkyandbear
02-08-2017, 07:19 PM
Yes I did try them however Ducati have apparently discontinued the bush only and only sell complete conrod assemblies - in a pair... phew at a cool £400 plus :banghead:

Dukedesmo
02-08-2017, 08:30 PM
I'd be surprised if it's not something available from other models, do you have the dimensions?

slob
02-08-2017, 08:45 PM
I may have a conrod from an 03 bike in the garage. It had suffered a big end bearing failure. I'll have a dig ...if it's any use to you you're welcome to it.

slob
02-08-2017, 08:46 PM
otherwise try 05 multistrada 1000

I'd guess everything up to 1100 evo would fit

Luddite
02-08-2017, 08:48 PM
You could give this place a try:

https://www.bike-parts-ducati.com/ducati-motorcycle/assignment_spare_parts

I can't tell whether or not they have the part in stock, but it is listed at £2.71 (plus postage of course).

http://i873.photobucket.com/albums/ab292/vincebessant/Mobile%20Uploads/wp_ss_20170802_0003_zpsyftjbq7t.jpg (http://s873.photobucket.com/user/vincebessant/media/Mobile%20Uploads/wp_ss_20170802_0003_zpsyftjbq7t.jpg.html)

When you put the part number in the search box, leave out the full stops.

Minkyandbear
02-08-2017, 09:18 PM
Luddite, Brilliant and I have just placed my order; so here's hoping they have stock etc.

Slob. Thank you and if the above doesn't materialise I'll get back to you.

Thank you,

Paul

Kato
03-08-2017, 12:07 PM
You'll need a decent hydraulic press & the mandrils for removing / refitting the bush ?

Also will need to ream the new bush to the correct size once fitted, best done on a machine with fixed bed so that you can be sure the reamer is held absolutely square, then drill the oil holes, deburr, and add relief, not a simple task at all if you don't have access to a machine shop.

If you do then great if not Slobs offer is going to save you a lot of pain.

Dukedesmo
03-08-2017, 04:00 PM
You'll need a decent hydraulic press & the mandrils for removing / refitting the bush ?

Also will need to ream the new bush to the correct size once fitted, best done on a machine with fixed bed so that you can be sure the reamer is held absolutely square, then drill the oil holes, deburr, and add relief, not a simple task at all if you don't have access to a machine shop.

If you do then great if not Slobs offer is going to save you a lot of pain.

Indeed, I had to replace one in my Guzzi as it was loose and fell out when removing a piston. Pressing the new one in was easy enough as it had a 'split' in it but reaming it accurately was tricky.

I thought I'd done a decent job with a hand reamer but could see it was well out of line once done, so I bought another and got a friendly engineer to do it properly.

Darkness
03-08-2017, 04:47 PM
If you are going to that trouble to re-use the old rod, it would seem worthwhile accepting Rob's offer of a replacement rod instead?

Minkyandbear
03-08-2017, 07:55 PM
Hello Chaps,

I agree entirely that it would be best to use the offered rod or have my rod fitted with a new small end bush and reamed to the pin by a machine shop.

However I have fitted small ends before in situ, both presized and ream to size, so I am going to "have a go".

Basically I do not wish to strip the motor at present so if I can effect the repair without removing the con rod then that would be good.

My plan is this. Tomorrow I shall attempt to draw out the old bush. If this is ok then I shall fit the new bush and ream as necessary. At this stage I have nothing really to lose.

If at any point things do go t*ts up then I shall bite the bullet and drop the motor.

Thank you for your kind comments.

Minkyandbear
05-08-2017, 09:59 AM
I may have a conrod from an 03 bike in the garage. It had suffered a big end bearing failure. I'll have a dig ...if it's any use to you you're welcome to it.

Morning Rob,

Unfortunately the small bush was not available and therefore it looks like it's time to drop the motor.

If your kind offer of the conrod still stands that would be much appreciated. Please let me know. My number is 078 55778803.

Thanks,

Paul

Darren69
05-08-2017, 10:55 AM
I know if I were going to the time and expense of tearing my motor down, I wouldn't be putting the standard rods back in there.