PDA

View Full Version : Alarms

capnjapseye
07-03-2004, 02:28 PM
Having trawled through the archives - I can't find much reference to alarms.

I'm awaiting a new M100Sie and am thinking of fitting an alarm - it would appear that some of you blokes have fitted the Acumen 911 - any comments, positive or negative would be helpful.

I tend towards the deterent philosophy - if they really want to nick it, then nowt will stop em (I would thereafter aslo tend to go along with the middle Eastern philosophy of: cut their hands off at the wrists - they won't do it again!):twisted:

By the way....the suppliers of the bike are currently saying "possibly the end of March"!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

steve lomas
07-03-2004, 03:48 PM
Hello

Spoke to an alarm man and he was of the opinion that Ducatis immobiliser is very good and should stop most joy riders.

I have had various after market alarms and ever one has had a breakdown or wierd fault. The insurance approved ones butcher the electric wires and if you want to remove them later it is a new harness. All a bit expensive.

Just fasten it with a hardened steel chain to an object that cant be moved.

The only reason to fit is if you have to for insurance. It seems strange that some brokers will arrange fitting for you. Thus increasing there profits.

If you want peace of mind, practice sleeping on the bike in a locked garage.

Steve

spacemonkey
07-03-2004, 04:28 PM
The 911 is great. I've mentioned it many times but once more won't hurt. It fits nicely in the cubby hole in my seat and wires straight in to the fuse box to a perm live. Once the shock sensor is adjusted I have had no false alarms unless it is bloody windy and the cover goes into one or a bus/lorry gets too darned close. The LED goes nicely into the plastic shroud around the ignition switch, and the indicator flashers splice nicely into the wires to the rear indicators via Scotchlock thingies. All in all very satisfied with it, and as a bonus, there is a paging device by Accumen that costs about £100 which will notify you up to a kilometer away if ther alarm is going mental. Top Stuff, and cheap too. Battery drain is about a coupla weeks, so about normal then. If you are laying it up in the garage then get an Optimate or disconnect the battery.

snakey
07-03-2004, 04:36 PM
I have a Datatool 3 fitted and have not had any problems with it. it is thatcham approved and helps a little with the insurance but I use a disc lock as well if I'm out, and now keep two bikes chained together in my garage, sounds a bit OTT I know, but my Bonnie was stolen from a locked garage and the Duc's aren't going the same way ( i've also upped the security on the garage as well)

Pete.

capnjapseye
07-03-2004, 04:59 PM
Ta for the feedback. I have never alarmed a bike before - wouldn'y bother with it at home in the garage anyway. I was considereing the alarm for when it's left outside somewhere during a ride.
The Ducati immobiliser supposedly hasn't got an alarm (audible) then?
Is there a downloadable copy of the installation / operating instructions for the Acumen anywhere?
Don't like those Scotchloc thingies - in engineering terms they appear about as subtle as an axe.

McMONSTRO
07-03-2004, 05:27 PM
I went down the road of possibly getting an alarm fitted when I got my S4 last year, the insurance said I had to have a Thatcham one fitted! But after advice on this forum (CK+AK I think) I rang them and they agreed that the Ducati immobiliser thats fitted as standard would be OK! Oh it does'nt have any form of audible device on it btw, just means you can only start the bike if you use the key supplied with the "chip" in it.
Spent half the money saved on a "Xena" chain and Disclock which has a motion alarm fitted in it, dead handy, means if you ever try to ride off with the disclock still on you get a shrill alarm reminding you! Embarrasing but not half as bad as dropping the bike!
Just use the disclock when Im out (fits in the toolbox under the seat too!) and both when its in the garage with a ground anchor, the alarm works when you use the disclock with the chain too!
Got it from Hein Gericke.

Ive known Scotchloks to cause loads of problems, once they get corroded you get shorts/bad earths etc, had this happen with a towbar that used them on the car, all had to be rewired!

McMonstro

capnjapseye
07-03-2004, 05:34 PM
Ta

I'm really not sure -whether it's worth buggering about with a new bike to fit what is effectively a siren which warns (you) that someone is tampering with the bike.
As you say, the Ducati imobiliser should do the trick - question is will the would be thief have trashed the bike by then, whereas with the addition of a loud noise he may be detered.
Again the idea here is a deterent to the would-be thief I think.

Capn

spacemonkey
07-03-2004, 05:46 PM
I've never had Scotch lock trouble but there are other ways-you could solder a connection in and re insulate etc. I was just after a quick fix and it's given no grief in the 2.5 years it has been done.
The best home alarm is a dog. No question. And a shotgun...

capnjapseye
07-03-2004, 05:53 PM
I'm not too sure about fixing a dog to my new bike - I know I don't ride "knee down" all the time, but the poor little sod would have a job to keep up - even with me!

Now, regarding the shotgun..............

Capn

spacemonkey
07-03-2004, 06:08 PM
I fixed my dog successfully but unfortunately I forgot to feed it, and dead puppies aren't much fun.
They don't come when they're called-
And don't chase squirrels any more.
Dead puppies aren't much fun..
My poor puppy died last Fall-
He's still rotting in the hall.
Dead puppies aren't much fun...
Mum said puppies' days are through-
So she through him in the stew.
Dead puppies aren't much fun...