PDA

View Full Version : MOT fail rear brake no spring

Wildfire
20-07-2017, 10:04 AM
A mate who has my old M600 has just failed the MOT on the rear brake pedal not returning. The tester says that he must fit a spring on the rear sets.

The bike has DP rearsets on it and has never had a spring. The brakes aren't binding or anything.

I have suggested to bleed the brakes and if not try and find a torsional spring to it, but that will be a pain to try and find.

Any advice?

Luddite
20-07-2017, 10:42 AM
The MR rearsets on my Evo have no separate return spring but I've never had any trouble with binding or at MOT time.

The DP rearsets I had on my S2R 1000 did however come with a conical return spring that sat inside the rear master cylinder. You could try one of these.

http://satoracing.com/brakereturnspring.htm

http://i873.photobucket.com/albums/ab292/vincebessant/Mobile%20Uploads/C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Tem p_Saved%20Images_08cbr1000rrmasterspring_zpsyv2txr gv.jpg (http://s873.photobucket.com/user/vincebessant/media/Mobile%20Uploads/C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Tem p_Saved%20Images_08cbr1000rrmasterspring_zpsyv2txr gv.jpg.html)

(You should still be able to fit the rubber dust boot. I think it's missing from the picture so you can see the spring.)

Wildfire
20-07-2017, 10:56 AM
Brilliant! Cheers!

Dukedesmo
20-07-2017, 12:46 PM
Any advice?

Find another MOT tester...

slob
20-07-2017, 12:57 PM
we used an elastic band round the lever/bracket on race bikes, cheap and cheerful

utopia
20-07-2017, 01:07 PM
That reminds me .. I met a guy recently who had used one of the rubber wristbands that come with the DOC welcome kit for that very purpose.

Rubber can perish though .. particularly the ones that the postie uses, which seem to have biodegradability built in.

Wildfire
20-07-2017, 01:49 PM
Find another MOT tester...

Apparently the tester said he had been inspected the week before and apparently fined or something, so my mate said that he was just looking to fail him.

Spring on the SS is an easy fix though.

Darren69
20-07-2017, 05:31 PM
That's useful info. I remember when I picked up my monster from the shop where I bought it, it had Race Supplies rearsets fitted (since sold to Yorkie) and they told me that I couldn't pick it up until they had fitted a brake light switch (fair enough) and a spring both required for the MOT. Well I remember thinking to myself when I collected the bike, that spring is fugly, hooked around the toe peg and the rearset bracket and first thing I did when I got home was bin it. I tested it was ok and satisfied it was safe left it at that.

It subsequently went through another MOT like that with no spring and then I changed to DP rearsets (probably the same as your 600) and again no spring and no problems for the last 5 years.

Yorkie
20-07-2017, 06:55 PM
That's useful info. I remember when I picked up my monster from the shop where I bought it, it had Race Supplies rearsets fitted (since sold to Yorkie) and they told me that I couldn't pick it up until they had fitted a brake light switch (fair enough) and a spring both required for the MOT. Well I remember thinking to myself when I collected the bike, that spring is fugly, hooked around the toe peg and the rearset bracket and first thing I did when I got home was bin it. I tested it was ok and satisfied it was safe left it at that.

It subsequently went through another MOT like that with no spring and then I changed to DP rearsets (probably the same as your 600) and again no spring and no problems for the last 5 years.

Still no spring on the rearsets and it has not failed an MOT yet! Just advisories on tyres (lack of road legal-ness) and apparently it is a bit loud.

Yorkie

Darren69
20-07-2017, 07:11 PM
I do wonder if this is one of those grey areas that some MOT guys stick to the letter to and others couldn't care as long as the lever returns (like exhausts too for example). I mean there is a spring in the master cylinder, (duh) although it's not very strong but it should be strong enough to let the pressure out when the lever returns?

Please do let us know how your mate gets on if he fits one of those Sato springs, if they fit ok I might just get one in case I get some jobsworth MOT guy some time. My bike is very obviously too dangerous (and loud) to ride without one. I do have a small reflector fitted so that's ok then. :)