PDA

View Full Version : Daytime running lights on new monsters

coolcatshaft
14-07-2017, 09:56 AM
Hi All

I've just picked up a new 797, this comes after a 7 year hiatus since I sold my 620 Capirex.

Now the 797 comes with a headlight with LED DRLs, the headlight is shared with the new 1200 and 1200S. The problem I have is that as the Dipped beam comes on as soon as the engine starts, the DRLs are barely visible. All pictures and videos of the 797 shows the Dipped beam on all the time when the bike is running.

The 1200 however can be seen running with just the DRL as can be seen in these pics
http://www.ducati.com/media_gallery/monster_1200_s/1549705/index.do#MGI1549711
Seems odd as the headlight unit looks identical.

The XDiavel I test rode also ran with just the DRL if I recall correctly.

Does anyone have the new 1200S and can confirm that the bike will run with the dipped beam off and just the DRL on? the switchgear on the 1200S looks the same, i.e. just a switch on the handle bars to change from dipped to full beam, nothing to turn the dipped beam off completely...

is the fact that its a legal requirement to run dipped beams in the UK. I am pretty sure a few truimphs and BMWs now just run an LED DRL and not the dipped beam.

Can anyone share any wisdom on this?

Luddite
14-07-2017, 11:03 AM
As far as I know, the 'DRL only' function is an option only on the 2017-on 1200S.

coolcatshaft
14-07-2017, 11:19 AM
Thanks Luddite, looking around the web that does seem to be the way, I wonder if its an easy mod as the headlight does look identical. May be a "kill switch" for the dipped beam...

Luddite
14-07-2017, 11:52 AM
It's something in the software as it's an option selected from the on-screen dash. Plus there's an extra button on the right hand switch cluster.

NewMon
15-07-2017, 06:34 PM
This was bugging me as well. Other bikes have LED DRLs and Headlights that both come on as default. Now, I always ride with headlights on so this does not bother me and I assume that the LED DRLs are for territories where running with headlights is not mandatory. Otherwise, why bother with the added expense of DRLs?