PDA

View Full Version : Belly pan - good or bad?

paul620sie
07-03-2004, 09:02 AM
So, big question is ... Should i get a belly pan for my Monster? I think they look the Dogs whatsits but whats the downside? Let me know what you think.

CK & AK
07-03-2004, 09:43 AM
Just getting mine adjusted to go on this bike - no downside - I take it off once a month for a good clean.

tony_unn
07-03-2004, 10:09 AM
No down side, had mine almost all of the time I have owned the bike, looks better on than off (to me).

No fitment problems took about twenty minutes to fit and comes off in 5 for services etc.

I have the longer Imola type from Spareshack.

slug
07-03-2004, 10:33 AM
I am putting one on to prevent the sump and starter motor being peppered with s**t and gravel. They also look good.
I should have done it sooner because the paint on the sump is begining to flake off, I assume this is because it gets peppered with road debris

james007
07-03-2004, 11:52 AM
do they ever scrape, especially when:

1. you drop off a pavement;
2. you go over a speed bump?

ahhh, the beauty of city riding.....

Migsangel
07-03-2004, 12:02 PM
I thought that my 620 dark got hotter (tempwise) in the summer, but it did not adversly affect its performance...

I still have the belly pan and my wife does not want to put on her Monster...so if you interested...let me know and maybe we can workout something...

CK & AK
07-03-2004, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by james007
do they ever scrape, especially when:

1. you drop off a pavement;
2. you go over a speed bump?

ahhh, the beauty of city riding.....

1. YES, sometimes.
2. No - hasnt happened to me yet.

Occasionally had it 'grounding' when hitting a bump in the road, when riding 2 up, but never when solo.

Go on - get one:D

C

Pedro
07-03-2004, 12:18 PM
I've got an Imola Bellypan from Spareshack:-

Never bumped a kerb but have grounded it round a roundabout. Also had to cut a slot in the underside to clear the exhaust but that may be just my bike as I've not seen anyone else do this.

They also keep the **** off the motor and look good. As Mummy Charlotte said, take it off once a month to get rid of the grot etc inside.

Ped

paul620sie
07-03-2004, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by Migsangel
I thought that my 620 dark got hotter (tempwise) in the summer, but it did not adversly affect its performance...

I still have the belly pan and my wife does not want to put on her Monster...so if you interested...let me know and maybe we can workout something...

Have sent you a PM. Paul

JONJAR
07-03-2004, 01:39 PM
Mine has grounded on speed bumps, one time I really thought I was going to fall off! I got mine from Spareshack and it was a sod to fit, I gave up and took it to the local dealer in the end. But - the bike looks so much better with it on.

steviej
07-03-2004, 03:50 PM
...personally don't like 'em...........................................

Each to their own; as they say................................;)

McMONSTRO
07-03-2004, 04:23 PM
Ive got the Imola one from Spareshack....never grounded out (yet) and was a doddle to fit, only thing that caused a problem was I overfilled the tank once and the drain goes into the bellypan, some fuel came out through the holes in it but a bit was still sloshing about! So a bit of cautious riding over the next few miles till it evaporated! My fault, not done it since!

McMonstro

NattyBoy
07-03-2004, 04:35 PM
All my bike riding mates say it really finished the bike off. Mine is a monza stylee from spareshack, and although its gel coated (bad reputation for colour match & finish), the finish is superb and colour match cock on.

Downsides of ownership..people will dribble over your monnie even more than they would if it didnt have one !!!!!

spacemonkey
07-03-2004, 04:37 PM
I think they are a bit like silicon implants-the owners love 'em but I think it detracts from the purity of line. I mean just look at the example above me on the left-if she was modified it would ruin her lines and ground clearance, and a belly pan wouldn't do the bike any favours either. But then I'm sure they're might be people who find that there Jordan attractive-though I haven't met either of them yet.

Matt Black
07-03-2004, 04:43 PM
The downside is the bit underneath.

spacemonkey
07-03-2004, 05:50 PM
Ooh, more puns than I can handle at this time of night...

CK & AK
07-03-2004, 07:46 PM
Got mine (the Imola) fitted onto the 1000 tonight - AK's done a good job in 'adjusting it' to fit.

CK:D

Matt Black
07-03-2004, 08:08 PM
CK - got any details of the bike in the background of your avatar - I must have missed the relevant threads - it appears to have been modified in some way!

CK & AK
07-03-2004, 08:55 PM
Done some digging - here is one link Matt

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4949

And why not come up & meet us on Sunday - shouldnt take you more than an hour to our destination..

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5541

Be good to see you.....
:p :D

C