PDA

View Full Version : Garmin Zumo

Flip
30-06-2017, 07:31 PM
So after a half arsed attempt at using a TomTom car sat nav on the Monster a couple of weeks back and with a little jaunt over the channel planned for next weekend I decided to buy a Zumo after talking to folk using them and reading some reviews etc.

So a question for those using them (or other sat navs for that matter)- how have you wired them into your electrics?

I was thinking of using a switched circuit and taking a feed off the tail light (easier to get at than the side light) rather than wiring direct to the battery as they suggest.

utopia
30-06-2017, 08:38 PM
I have a battery charging socket (optimate type, in a rubber holder) fixed to the front of the top yoke.
I use that for satnav too, though probably just "because it was there".
Its handy for both functions though .. and you never need both at the same time.
A better socket might be worthwhile, but I've had no problems with this one.
I did need to fit the matching plug to the satnav lead, which was easy enough .. but the waterproof cover was a bit Heath/Robinson, hence the improved socket suggestion.
But the principle of combining the two functions seems like a good one.

All that said, I'm new to satnavs myself so I may be off beam.

bigredduke
30-06-2017, 08:51 PM
I have an optimate fused connector to the battery (as connecting the charger direct to the battery is impractical). I then bought a 12v socket with a corresponding connector which I can connect/disconnect as required.

http://www.brandedbiker.co.uk/Optimate-Motorcycle-Battery-Chargers/optimate-accessory-power-socket-tm68-6117/?gclid=CP7Gtr-45tQCFRI8GwodXTMOIw

You can then mount the socket wherever is most convenient for you

AndyC_772
30-06-2017, 09:04 PM
I have mine (660) wired direct to the battery; there's really no need to wire it to a switched live.

The easiest place to connect it IMHO is the 4 pin diagnostic connector under the seat. Do you have this on your bike? It's a 4 pin connector with CAN, +12V and ground, and you can just use the power pins and ignore the CAN pins. The official Ducati charger uses this connector too.

Flip
30-06-2017, 09:45 PM
The Zumo I have powers from a connector nestled into it's cradle that is fixed to the bike then mates onto the back of the unit when it is fitted.

No diagnostic socket on my old '97 bike so that's a no go for me.

I could make up a mating half to the TM (Tamiya) type connector I use for battery charging via my Optimate I suppose but again that would be a permanent live which I am not so keen on as surely there would be some continual drain in the same way there is with a USB socket?

utopia
30-06-2017, 10:44 PM
In other words, you're saying that the cradle itself would consume energy even if the satnav unit was not attached to it ?
I confess that I hadn't considered that ... but it does seem likely, or at least possible.
I'd go and check but my multimeter has gorn orf.

I'm new to it, like I said, but up to now I've always removed the complete shooting match, cradle an' all, whenever I've left the bike for any significant length of time.
I've only detached the unit from the cradle for very short term, security reasons when stopping for fuel, lunch, coffee etc.
So it hasn't been a problem having a direct, unswitched connection to the battery.
..... yet, anyway.

RossObey01
01-07-2017, 08:44 AM
My Tom Tom is wired directly to the battery. Again it uses a cradle, which is fused, but without a sat nav connected it's open circuit so no worry on drain.

rollo22
01-07-2017, 08:59 AM
Wire direct to battery assuming you have the cover. Only draws power when the Nav is in cradle.
The new zumo's have a USB outlet on the loom so a phone can be charged whilst having a coffee...

AndyC_772
01-07-2017, 09:18 AM
I could make up a mating half to the TM (Tamiya) type connector I use for battery charging via my Optimate I suppose but again that would be a permanent live which I am not so keen on as surely there would be some continual drain in the same way there is with a USB socket?

Don't worry about it being a permanent live.

The problem with using that type of charging connector is that they're not waterproof. Unless you only ever ride when it's dry, water will get in and corrode the contacts.

utopia
01-07-2017, 09:54 AM
That's the same connector as I use, I think.
It is possible to get a waterproof rubber boot with removable cover for the female half ... my battery maximiser came with one.
However, I had to cobble together a suitable waterproof cover for the male half, for when it was connected up.
There must be a neater solution.