PDA

View Full Version : mot and race system

kriss
07-03-2004, 07:56 AM
does anyone know anywhere in the west midlands that will pass race system through the mot ? bike is due for first mot and dont really want to change complete system, look forward to your answers.

superlight3
07-03-2004, 09:53 AM
If you find one Kriss let me know ;)

More and more MOT stations are becomming twitchy about such things. And it's all 'going electronic' later this year with a computerised central account.

Big Brother will be watching us! :mad:

Cheers.

Lee.

kriss
07-03-2004, 10:01 AM
is due at end of month so its either change system which i havnt really got time to do or sell it cheap.

superlight3
07-03-2004, 10:04 AM
'Kin 'ell Kriss.

That's a bit radical!

:eek:

Lee.

kriss
07-03-2004, 10:08 AM
at the moment ive got so much to do work wise home not bike that time is very scarce for me so i havnt got time to mess about. the bike has only done 2800 miles so some-one will grab a bargain also loaded with dp parts which cost me a fortune.

kriss
07-03-2004, 10:35 AM
sorted, done it the worlds not such a bad place after all, thanks for your comments superlight a chat helps when your pissed off, cheers mate.

Julie
07-03-2004, 11:18 AM
Kiss are you still coming out on Sunday?
From the A447 follow the signs to the bosworth battlefield, you will end up turning left into what looks like a big field with a track running through it. follow the track until the end and you see a cluster of buildings on the left (museum, tea rooms etc) and a big grassy car park on the right. look/listen for monsters.

You may need your plastic Stand support cause I think part of the car park is grass and gravel.

Pedro
07-03-2004, 12:15 PM
Just asked my MOT guy, big no to noisy cans!

Ped

JMo
20-03-2004, 03:47 PM
I always understood that the MoT test does not involve a dB meter, it's only down to the opinion of the tester. Of course if your cans are stamped "for race use only" or "not for road use", then they are clearly as such and the tester can't pass them under construction and use regulations (or whatever gobbledegook it is they refer to) - but no markings (and a slightly deaf tester perhaps), and I would have thought you should be ok?

xxx

A Yerbury
20-03-2004, 03:56 PM
ped, I was also told cans not a prob sound wise. Aparently neither is plate size? Maybe thats just dalston motorcycles living in the real world tho... god bless em.

kriss
20-03-2004, 04:05 PM
dosnt really matter now guys and gals the bike has been sold.

Paranoid Dave
20-03-2004, 04:18 PM
Flippin eck, I gotta get a new exhaust made before I can pass an MOT.

JMo
20-03-2004, 04:31 PM
PD - as I said above, it might not be a problem for you as yours was a custom jobbie - I presume Miguel didn't stamp anything on them?

xxx

McMONSTRO
20-03-2004, 04:32 PM
I have a freind who is a bit deaf and has problems reading small writing!!!! I know Nottingham is not local to all of you but it could save a lot of agro and £££ ? PM me if I can help :)

McMonstro

Paranoid Dave
20-03-2004, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by JMo
PD - as I said above, it might not be a problem for you as yours was a custom jobbie - I presume Miguel didn't stamp anything on them?

xxx

No he didn't but i don't think i'll get away with it this year like i did last, they aint too bad on stand still but open the throttle and they don't fool anybody. :mad:

Bunny
20-03-2004, 04:43 PM
For an MOT, the silencer must either be stamped with the manufacturer model and decibel level, or the EU mark.
Not having any markings will be a failure, as will "not for road use"etc
Also, from this year, number plates are part of the MOT, so they have to be regulation size and lettering to pass.
Also MOTs will soon have to be entered onto PC as soon as they are done - so testers are unable to "go deaf and blind" as Mr Plod will have access to the time and date the bike was tested - so if you got pulled on the way home, the tester would get caught out.

Pedro
20-03-2004, 05:08 PM
Just refitted my race cans and smallish number plate after the MOT. I use a small shop that use some common sense on most things but pipes and plates made him nervous so I stuck the stock bits back on.

Ped

spidermonkey
20-03-2004, 08:51 PM
sorry to hear you sold up kriss and just after you got the new fairing . steve

JMo
20-03-2004, 09:11 PM
You know I've just about had enough of this f**iking country and the officious tossers that run it - and if they actually do ban motorised vehicles from green lanes too, then that's it - I'm leaving this sh*t hole to rot in it's own stinking bureaucratic bollocks...

But before I go...

Sincerely, Jenny 'Guy Faulks' Harvey Oswald.

xxx

A Yerbury
21-03-2004, 07:36 AM
so thats you me and spacemonkry leaving, anyone one else for the exodus before we turn into bloody sweden? -where apparently if you run up large booze bills at the supermarket ie 2 bottles of vodka, a social worker is despatched..........again, bloke said down pub but "qui sais?"

A Yerbury
21-03-2004, 07:55 AM
must either be stamped with the manufacturer model and decibel level, or the EU mark.
Not having any markings will be a failure

so road legal stamped cans should sail through if modified? after all there is no db device used for mot? hmmmm

Remus grand prix with modded baffles-"not doing exactly what it says on the cans" :)

Bunny
21-03-2004, 08:32 AM
They have that covered by "should not be significantly louder than originally fitted" - but how loud are Ducatis anyway ?
Should have my new silencers next week, straight off a JCB

johnypebs
21-03-2004, 08:39 AM
Years ago I had a bmw r75/5 which had the sides of a gtx can jubilee clipped round the holes in the rotten silencers, I just borrowed my pal Mike's pipes off his r80 for the mot and swapped back later. Maybe we should have a club set of standard cans to borrow for the mot? or like smokers forcing other people to put up with passive smoking, maybe extraneous noise will just become socially unacceptable. I know that every time some arsepiece goes past in a £200 car with a £2000 stereo and a 'race' exhaust, driven badly by a twat wearing a baseball cap and ear-ring I think "who the f#ck are you trying to impress?" Maybe it's because I'm getting old but I saw no real difference between the aforementioned twat and myself, booming about the place with my Sils on, annoying people in bus 'Q's and otherwise quiet villages in rural Ayrshire, which is why I sold them. Another thing I noticed was that I was riding more agressively with the musical cans on, I also had this problem when I had a VFR with a Micron, acting out my fantasies on the road as the road racer I never was. Help, it's ****e getting old.

A Yerbury
21-03-2004, 09:37 AM
I think that common sense and common courtesy are the order of the day here. We all have split opinions on what is, and what is not acceptable, loud music whizzing along -fine. loud music bumper to bumper-rude. Cans being gunned outside bike friendly establishment fine- outside ones house not so...
In fact most people like engine noises depending on the occasion.. scenario 1: twin engine boomy tickover and idle then off into the sunset-nice
2:young chav revving for what seems like days-not so!
case in point, where I used to live the duke and remus ridden sensibly only ever got "sounds lovely" " we saw some kids sniffing around your bike" or " I used to have a Moto morini once" frome male female young and old -smile and wave- . Neville -I kid u not- had a cb250 and liked playing with the idle speed....for hours...We eventually beheaded him. The other factor is govt busy body quangos wasting time and money telling people what is good for them when what most people are terrified of is the crack house round the corner or the fact that they will starve/freeze in old age as their pensions are worth sod all............or the fact that we are at war in Iraq etc etc etc....blunkett and straw, the final curtain beckons.
Alex.
ps.It is ****e gettung old tho! my hair started to recede at 21! -good thing I have a nice skull.....my metabolism s not as fast as it used to be and my younger siblings find my old skool hip hop moves, frankly, rather amusing.

kriss
21-03-2004, 04:12 PM
no need to be sorry steeve i bought a new bike, speak to you soon mate.

spidermonkey
21-03-2004, 08:18 PM
come on what you get then.
steve

spacemonkey
21-03-2004, 08:53 PM
My bike always gets the "that sounds ferkin' ace!" from innocent bystanders. Tonight some old geezer came strolling up while I was locking up the machine and said "I heard you comin' a mile off! I just had to come up and see what the ferk it was-'ondas don't make that noise. Ferkin' music that is!"
They also save lives... In London loud cans ARE essential to get you noticed. You need every weapon you can get to stay alive. I always ride on main beam, and when filtering make as much noise as I can. Tonight a girl on a CBR600FM type thingy was about 8 metres in front with a standard pipe. We were both on the right of a one way 4 laner approaching a right turn onto the A1 from the A503 at about 15-20mph. Then the black cab just pulled out from the stationary queue in the 3rd lane without indicating or looking, straight into her path. Crunch. She was thrown off straight onto the cerb edge... Stopped. Checked. Ambulance on the way. Luckily she seemed fine and the ambulance took her off for a checkup. Bloody lucky, but bike had a chunk bitten out of the fairing and an indicator obliterated. If she hadn't been first off the lights it would have been me. Maybe the dozy old giffer would have seen/heard me? Then again he seemed well past retirement....

I'm gonna start an Ex-pats section of the UKMOC.....

A Yerbury
21-03-2004, 09:12 PM
My subscription is in the post, and "adopts bush voice" europeland shall be our oyster! c'mon kids, the monsters are leaving the sinking ship Britania.

Ade
22-03-2004, 11:13 AM
There is a very mot friendly centre in Slough, if thats of any help to any.

Ade

kriss
22-03-2004, 01:30 PM
sorry, bought a new cb1300, just fancied a change.

spidermonkey
22-03-2004, 08:16 PM
nice any pics yet

kriss
23-03-2004, 07:22 AM
hi steve, your not going to beleive this but ive lost your email address again, if you send ill send you some pics, just bought £600 akropovic system for it but got to run in first. will give it another 15 bhp bringing it up to 130 bhp, speak to you soon mate.