PDA

View Full Version : M821 summer heat

zaden
21-06-2017, 05:58 PM
I'm wondering how other Monster 821 owners are fairing in the current weather?

I did a 50 mile run today, the vast majority of which was motorway and dual carriageway. The engine temperature never dropped below 84 Celsius even at motorway cruising speeds of 70-80mph when I thought air cooling would have been more effective.

At speeds lower than 50 Celsius it was just over heating to almost 100 degrees. The fan wasn't turning on either.

As a control, my mate did the exact same journey with me on his MT09. His temperature gauge was reading slightly hotter most of the time but when I sat on it at the end of the journey, it didn't feel anywhere near as hot.

It was pretty unbearable on my Monster and I'm sure that it's not supposed to be THIS bad.
Does anyone know at what temperature the fan should kick in?? Any ideas what else I can do? My 6 month warranty is coming to an end so any quick responses would be greatly appreciated.

The only mod on the bike is a slip on Termi. It was serviced last week with the latest ECU updates from Ducati.

MarkF
21-06-2017, 06:24 PM
Just trying to recall last summer on the 821, I am sure it was over a 100degrees before the fan clicked in. Went out on the 1200R today and never really looked at the Temp gauge, it was bloody warm on the legs though in town, fan never cut in either.

jerry
21-06-2017, 06:55 PM
i have run my S4 in thailand for 11 years it can get very hot average daytime temp is 33 c plus up to 39c never had any problems even on 10 hour rides or in city traffic

dont worry

Darren69
21-06-2017, 07:05 PM
The fans on the S4 cut in at 104C I think, never had mine come on. I think on the S4 you can change the fan on temp through the ducdiag software/laptop, so maybe you can on the 821?

Luddite
21-06-2017, 08:12 PM
If you haven't got an owners' manual, you can download a copy, (and the spare parts catalogue), from the Ducati website.

The 821 manual suggests that anything from 40° to 120°c is normal, so you've still got a way to go if you're still under 100°.

http://i873.photobucket.com/albums/ab292/vincebessant/Mobile%20Uploads/wp_ss_20170621_0001_zpsia8qommd.jpg (http://s873.photobucket.com/user/vincebessant/media/Mobile%20Uploads/wp_ss_20170621_0001_zpsia8qommd.jpg.html)

I wouldn't expect the fan to kick in below 100°. Anything between 103° and 105°c would be my guess. Darren's experience seems to confirm this.

If you're worried that the fan may not be working properly, go for a run then let it heat up while stationary and note when the fan kicks in. As long as it's below about 108°, you're fine.

Darren69
21-06-2017, 08:18 PM
I'd take a guess and say 75-85C is probably optimum temperature, I don't put mine into gear unless it shows at least 50C. Its good to let them warm up properly before you ride 'em anyway it takes a fair while to get the oil up to the top end of the rear cylinder.

SteveG
21-06-2017, 08:35 PM
Had similar on the 1200R, was a bit concerned the fans hadn't kicked in at 100 degrees.. phoned Moto Rapido service was told it was normal for temp to hit about 104 before the fans kicked in- which it did a short time after resuming the ride out while sat in traffic, High temp to help meet Euro 4 rules apparently according to the guru's at MR...

Evostu
21-06-2017, 08:43 PM
I know it's not a monster but my 749s I had before the evo,fan didn't kick in till 105+,remember sitting in queue to get off Silverstone car park at last years MotoGP and temp gauge was above 100,,,try sitting on a fully faired bike then lol

Darren69
21-06-2017, 09:04 PM
Probably not possible with the later bikes with the fan drivers in the ECU but a popular mod on the 748/916 bikes was a manual fan 'on' switch. I don't remember my 748 ever getting that hot anyway that the fan came on. Only one on those too!

zaden
22-06-2017, 10:05 AM
If you haven't got an owners' manual, you can download a copy, (and the spare parts catalogue), from the Ducati website.

The 821 manual suggests that anything from 40° to 120°c is normal, so you've still got a way to go if you're still under 100°.

http://i873.photobucket.com/albums/ab292/vincebessant/Mobile%20Uploads/wp_ss_20170621_0001_zpsia8qommd.jpg (http://s873.photobucket.com/user/vincebessant/media/Mobile%20Uploads/wp_ss_20170621_0001_zpsia8qommd.jpg.html)

I wouldn't expect the fan to kick in below 100°. Anything between 103° and 105°c would be my guess. Darren's experience seems to confirm this.

If you're worried that the fan may not be working properly, go for a run then let it heat up while stationary and note when the fan kicks in. As long as it's below about 108°, you're fine.

Yeah I'm not too bothered by the fan not kicking in. Its more that the heat from the engine was broiling me to a near crisp. Its my first Ducati...I just didn't know if that level of heat was normal. I certainly never had anything like it on my previous bikes.

zaden
22-06-2017, 10:06 AM
as general question.....how do you guys deal with the heat??
any particular clothing you find helpful?

AndyC_772
22-06-2017, 11:22 AM
Shorts, a T-shirt, and a nice cold beer.

No way you'd find me out riding in full protective gear in this heat, or without the protective gear ever.

Leave the bike in the garage until it cools down a bit!

(BTW my Diavel's cooling fans come on around 104C).

yantheman
22-06-2017, 02:39 PM
I was riding in town two days ago and the temperature got to 120, my 620 is oil cool and no fan. I remembered last year tunnel run my bike got up to 135 and still ran fine so I don't think 100 is something you need to worry about.

Is there a tunnel run this year? :biggrin:

Fat Pete
22-06-2017, 06:50 PM
I've got an 821, went out both days last weekend when the temp was 28 to 31 deg, done just over 60 miles on both days and the temp gauge was reading between 79 and 84 depending on the speed I was riding at. if I stopped it rises pretty quickly and it went up to 89 then I moved off and it dropped back. The fans comes in at 103 -104 deg.

I guess the temp rises quickly when your just sitting there as its only a small cooling system so that little bit of water has a lot of work to do to get rid of all that heat.

SunEye
23-06-2017, 03:39 AM
I can't comment specifically on the M821 as I have only test ridden one, but I have owned/own M1100, M1100evo and SF848. All get you fairly hot in the summer if you aren't moving at a reasonable speed. I have found that the seat area on all my Ducatis has got rather warm. Think of it as a portable panini toaster rather than a seat, I'm sure that's what is was designed for ;-)

As for what you can do about it, not much, except don't slow down ;-) When it's really hot (over 25 degrees) I ride in Kevlar lined jeans and a mesh style jacket with just a base layer wicking t-shirt underneath the jacket. As long as I'm moving at over 30mph it's not too bad. 60-70mph is actually very pleasant and you don't get too hot.

The rear cylinder on your Ducati is almost underneath you generating lots of heat. On an in-line four or parallel twin bike the cylinders are in front of you. When I used to have an in-line four bike the heat from the engine didn't cook you from underneath as much as my Ducatis, but on a hot day sitting in traffic when the fans kicked in you'd get a sudden blast of super hot air up your chest and into your helmet that would have you gasping for air.

LTDUK
23-06-2017, 12:41 PM
In my experience the fan comes on at 104/105 degrees Celsius.

It's normal for the coolant temperature to be 75 - 85 degrees when riding at a reasonable speed (say 60mph). and normal for it to get hot enough for the fan to turn on in traffic, particularly during some of the weather we've had recently.

With the exhaust on the 821 going past your thigh it's going to feel hotter for you than it would if the exhaust went straight under the engine (as it does on the MT09). If you've ridden a 1299 or 959 Panigale you'll know what I mean, as the horizontal cylinder exhaust takes up a lot of space under the seat.

Kazza
24-06-2017, 10:33 AM
as general question.....how do you guys deal with the heat??
any particular clothing you find helpful?

I use base layers with merino wool from Mountain Warehouse on line. Sounds daft, they are classed as thermals - but keep you warm when it's cool, cool when it's warm! They stop jackets etc sticking to you - they're breathable with antibacterial properties! Half price at the minute. They have some cheaper ones under their brand also which I've used and are fine.

https://www.mountainwarehouse.com/mens/base-layers/mens-merino-thermals/

jerry
24-06-2017, 04:30 PM
The fans on the S4 cut in at 104C I think, never had mine come on. I think on the S4 you can change the fan on temp through the ducdiag software/laptop, so maybe you can on the 821?

oh my fans do come on sometimes usually after a prolonged city run

MartinW
10-07-2017, 11:19 AM
My 821 was running hot in that heatwave we had the other week. Legs were getting a bit warm, thought I'd pissed myself.

Riding mine was running at about 85, but when stopped it soon shot up and also noticed the fans didn't kick in. I will keep an eye on that 104 range.