PDA

View Full Version : Front Fork Oil Showa M900 options non adjustable

Albie
20-06-2017, 07:17 PM
Ok here it is a choice of whether to change standard oil in my front forks to something that gives a firmer ride.
Over the last few weeks my 2 pairs of Showa forks have been stripped down to be paired with better outer sleeves and at the same time being replaced with new fork seals and bushes I got online this week.

Recommendations please including a brand too if you can.
I may well get my other set completely refurbished with inners at a later date and re anodised too unless someone is in need of a pair in average shape.

Darren69
20-06-2017, 08:26 PM
Firmer? Really? I think they benefit from a lighter oil, they're too harsh and unresponsive and Hyperpro didn't really improve mine that much, and if I'm honest probably confused the issue some. So I can save you the money there. I think most cheapo Jap bike forks benefit so much from throwing a £100 Hyperpro kit at them, I expected the same level of improvement, but the Showas are fairly decent so I don't think its such an obvious improvement.

I think Maxton is the way forward with these forks. That's why i'm hanging on to my spare set :)

Darren69
20-06-2017, 08:29 PM
Shoot, I'm starting to sound like Flip! :)

utopia
21-06-2017, 01:00 AM
From my, admittedly limited experience, I would agree.
Harsh compression damping seems to be an accepted analysis for the std forks, and I'd be inclined to use lighter oil, if anything.
Now that I think of it, maybe that explains why Darren found little improvement with the Hyperpro springs .. ie because the harsh comp damping just overrides any subtleness in the springs ?

I wonder if there would be any value in using a bit more oil, ie less airgap, if you were after something firmer from the springing side of things .....??

slob
21-06-2017, 06:20 AM
I tried SAE10 instead of SAE7.5 in a set of (newer) non-adjustable Showas and found them too stiff for road use.

Albie
21-06-2017, 09:22 PM
Thanks guys 7.5 it is then

Dukedesmo
21-06-2017, 09:35 PM
I've got Ktech valving in mine and Ktech use/recommend 5w fork oil.

With the correct springing for my weight they had a tendency to bottom out under hard braking, Ktech recommended that I put an extra 5-10ml oil per leg.

I put in 5ml which was an improvement but not quite there so I added another 5ml which did the job.