PDA

View Full Version : It's been a long time...

benson
12-06-2017, 08:44 AM
Well I suppose it had to happen. I missed my Monster. It's been nearly four years since I had one, my beloved M900ie,Frank first, Amy second (for those of you who remember the gold incarnations). That went to make way for a German beastie which I loved but a few weeks ago some thieving scum stole it ...so now... Well, the replacement is Italian, red (with a splash of a white stripe), and beefy (like its owner). Been a long time so we will soon be back in the UKMOC fold. As will the wife. Hurrah for Monsters.

Albie
12-06-2017, 12:06 PM
Welcome back.

Grumpy
12-06-2017, 12:12 PM
Have you been seduced by the dark side!:twak::thumbsup::thumbsup:

benson
12-06-2017, 12:21 PM
Thanks Albie and Grumpy - I missed the Monster and having taken one for a test ride the other week the replacement for the BMW wasn't really in question. The character of the engine, the ergonomics and the noise were just calling my name. I've not had a red on since my original M600 back in 2002!!! How frightening is that? 15 years ago. Happy anniversary perhaps!!!:ukm:

rollo22
12-06-2017, 12:32 PM
Welcome back to Monster land.

alan c
12-06-2017, 12:50 PM
Hi Benson, welcome back !

benson
12-06-2017, 01:22 PM
Thanks - it feels good to be back - well almost, delivery this Saturday. Very excited.....

Albie
12-06-2017, 03:11 PM
Thanks Albie and Grumpy - I missed the Monster and having taken one for a test ride the other week the replacement for the BMW wasn't really in question. The character of the engine, the ergonomics and the noise were just calling my name. I've not had a red on since my original M600 back in 2002!!! How frightening is that? 15 years ago. Happy anniversary perhaps!!!:ukm:

I have gone backwards. I question myself often but the answer is just simply Monster pure and simple.. Look forward to seeing you sometime on your new steed.

Grumpy
12-06-2017, 06:41 PM
Thanks - it feels good to be back - well almost, delivery this Saturday. Very excited.....

So I bimble will be in order!.......:biggrin:

bigredduke
12-06-2017, 08:26 PM
Welcome back m'dearyo.

Pedro
12-06-2017, 08:55 PM
Hi Rach

Trust you took my recommendations!!

Ped

MartinW
17-06-2017, 07:24 PM
The character of the engine, the ergonomics and the noise were just calling my name.

The 821 stripe called my name too so I bought it

Zimbo
18-06-2017, 06:27 AM
Good to see you back :-)

slob
18-06-2017, 06:35 AM
How was Saturday?

:-D

benson
18-06-2017, 08:48 AM
Thanks folks. The bikes arrived and the insurance clicked in and off we went. Masham in the dales - the long way round. Lovely roads for few revs and the smiles were broad. The scenery was beautiful and aside from the inevitable invisible neutral a few times the bikes were faultless. I can feel already how the ending will unwind though of course I'm being VERy mindful of the rev limit. It's like you're really part of the frame, the whole thing swoops around and is so sweet to turn. Brakes. Wow.....

Anyway....we stopped at a Fantastic cafe called Jimmy Baghdads in Masham market square, very much worth a visit if you're ever that way....we also stopped for the obligatory natter with a family whose son is riding today in the British youth trials event up the road ( he's the champ!) and talked the usual bike stories and a hankering after moving to the Isle of Man for the roads, the people and the pace of life!

A fairly swift but careful return saw the miles clock up on our first Monstrous ride out. I thi kJo rather loves her 821 stripe too. Lots of grins. Lots. I can't wait for the Evotech parcel of things to arrive - thanks to Ped for the heads up!

:ukm:

Mr Gazza
18-06-2017, 09:25 AM
Welcome back.. and congratulations.

What a truly splendid post (#15).

I looked Masham up and assume you are no longer London resident?
Looks like a lovely place to visit and ride around.
I found this though and the alarm bells rang! Looks just like a set from Midsomer Murders... Or is it for real? The name Druid's Temple doesn't help with it's credibility.

https://s23.postimg.org/um1lr8w1n/the-druids-temple-ilton-near-masham-north-yorksh.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/n62c5g8c7/)

utopia
18-06-2017, 09:27 AM
Welcome back to monstrous things.

Sun's out again today. :)

slob
18-06-2017, 10:07 AM
Can't believe you looked up Masham and didn't land on this first
http://www.visitmasham.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Official-Seal-of-Old-Peculier-on-Theakstons-Wall.jpg

Mr Gazza
18-06-2017, 10:34 AM
Far out man!! :chuckle::chuckle:

Is that a bong on the right? :rolleyes:

Darkness
18-06-2017, 02:56 PM
Welcome back Benson

Can't believe you looked up Masham and didn't land on this first
http://www.visitmasham.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Official-Seal-of-Old-Peculier-on-Theakstons-Wall.jpg

Good stuff, they used to send a dray down to Banbury for the Fairport Convention.

Not quite the same since S&N took over, but I still quite like this stuff:

https://www.blacksheepbrewery.com/about

:biggrin::biggrin:

benson
19-06-2017, 01:14 PM
The beer is truly excellent but not quite as excellent as the Monster!

benson
19-06-2017, 01:15 PM
I've been in Yorkshire for three years now. Beer is good. Roads too. Squires remains pretty much unchanged but they've got a better coffee machine now!

benson
22-06-2017, 08:23 PM
So greetings again chumrades - this evening saw 350 miles clocked up on the Monster. The temperature was far more forgiving than it has been of late so I headed out of home toward Wetherby via the back roads of Bramham to the A168 toward Boroughbridge and then through Ripon and back toward Harrogate on the sweepingly and achingly lovely A61 and there wasn't another soul on the road for miles. Before Harrogate we took a cheeky turn left on the Otley Road before being blown over the tops, literally up and down Dale which has some interesting turns I can tell you, into Pool and then back home the long way round via a beautiful loop toward Harewood, Wetherby and finally again homewards.

Tonight was my first spin in sport mode. He he he. The biggest grin for some time and then a careful check to ensure nothing over the rev limit your honour.

I am LOVING this bike. I am loving the challenge of making a twin work again after a 4 cylindered perfectly mannered and very capable German beastie (S1000RS) but somehow it never really moved me - as in my soul. The bike was exceptional and managed to make me whoop with sheer speed - that's undeniable - but the thrill of the Monster and the knowledge that in a few sweet weeks (two weeks tomorrow in fact) that first service will be done and I'll be heading for free revs after 700 miles.

I also have to be realistic - I don't do the straight line journeys I used to when perhaps a different bike was demanded - my commute is rarely over 50 miles these days and wherever I can I head for the A and B roads - so thank you Ducati - I'm so pleased with the R and glad I didn't opt for the S - even though I love the tank buckle and the new headlight looks sweet - but hell, I love these fat headers (like their owner) - I love the seat, the Evotech goodies which arrived this morning and I love the bike.

Did I mention I love it yet???

Albie
22-06-2017, 08:40 PM
I am actually very jealous but am happy with my bikes. I seem to be stepped back but who knows maybe one day will go for new one again. Glad your having fun.

Pedro
22-06-2017, 10:25 PM
So greetings again chumrades - this evening saw 350 miles clocked up on the Monster. The temperature was far more forgiving than it has been of late so I headed out of home toward Wetherby via the back roads of Bramham to the A168 toward Boroughbridge and then through Ripon and back toward Harrogate on the sweepingly and achingly lovely A61 and there wasn't another soul on the road for miles. Before Harrogate we took a cheeky turn left on the Otley Road before being blown over the tops, literally up and down Dale which has some interesting turns I can tell you, into Pool and then back home the long way round via a beautiful loop toward Harewood, Wetherby and finally again homewards.

Tonight was my first spin in sport mode. He he he. The biggest grin for some time and then a careful check to ensure nothing over the rev limit your honour.

I am LOVING this bike. I am loving the challenge of making a twin work again after a 4 cylindered perfectly mannered and very capable German beastie (S1000RS) but somehow it never really moved me - as in my soul. The bike was exceptional and managed to make me whoop with sheer speed - that's undeniable - but the thrill of the Monster and the knowledge that in a few sweet weeks (two weeks tomorrow in fact) that first service will be done and I'll be heading for free revs after 700 miles.

I also have to be realistic - I don't do the straight line journeys I used to when perhaps a different bike was demanded - my commute is rarely over 50 miles these days and wherever I can I head for the A and B roads - so thank you Ducati - I'm so pleased with the R and glad I didn't opt for the S - even though I love the tank buckle and the new headlight looks sweet - but hell, I love these fat headers (like their owner) - I love the seat, the Evotech goodies which arrived this morning and I love the bike.

Did I mention I love it yet???

Great to read Rach, happy to hear you're getting on with it! I got just over 2k miles on mine and it gets better and better, it's got so much grip liberties can be taken and the Motor never ceases to amaze!

12R's rock!!

Allstar
23-06-2017, 10:43 AM
Sounds awesome that you're back on a Monster! I already have the feeling they bond with their owners very quickly.

Have fun! :)

Grumpy
23-06-2017, 06:49 PM
Sounds awesome that you're back on a Monster! I already have the feeling they bond with their owners very quickly.

Have fun! :)

They are soooo much fun!
Mines covered 2.7k and as Pedro mentioned, just keeps getting better :biggrin:
On the fast sweeping roads around where I live, the bike spends most of its time between 3rd and 5th gear as I use the engine to move 'briskly' ( I was going how fast officer!)
The punch out of roundabouts and quick bends is intoxicating..... I'm of for ride ! :thumbsup:

bigredduke
23-06-2017, 07:18 PM
Been in Yorkshire for 3 years? Can't believe you haven't popped over for a cuppa. :confused:

benson
24-06-2017, 04:55 PM
Where are you big red? It's been ages hasn't it! We moved here about three and a bit years ago, between Leeds and Wetherby after a short spell in York - we must try to make a Monster meet up!

The bike truly is a gem. I'm so pleased to be back on a monster again - just feels right and it makes me smile.

bigredduke
24-06-2017, 08:13 PM
About 12 miles west of Hull, 11 miles south of Beverley, 25 miles SE of York. South Cave to be exact. We should meet up for a natter!

benson
26-06-2017, 11:14 AM
We should! My niece got married there a few years back at the hotel - very nice! I think we might need a bag of chips and a catch up - just replied to Anders' thread too - maybe the weekend after this one? Be good to see you!

singletrack
06-07-2017, 09:14 PM
Hi Benson,
Good to see you are back in the Monster fold. Where are the photos?
It was good to meet you again a while back. I did buy a 1200 GS in the end, excellent bike but without the heart of the Ducatis, and damned heavy.