PDA

View Full Version : no power to fuel pump on S4

jerry
06-06-2017, 02:18 PM
had the bike running for 10 minuts but then it just died like no fuel but tank is half full

noticed the fuel pump has gone quiet

checked fuses all ok
checked relays both ok
checked power at connector under tank fuel low pins ok 12v but pump pins NO volts so its not the pump, i also ran 12v to the other side of the undertank connector and the pump ran

tommorow i will check the relay bases for volts

what can the problem be battery is new and full volts bike is charging when running and all other electrics are OK but as i stated no 12v getting to the pump circuit

im baffled any suggestions

jerry
06-06-2017, 05:35 PM
i have hecked the relay bases and they have power and the relays click

just nopwer getting to the connector that goes into the tank all the wire seem fine ???

Darren69
06-06-2017, 06:02 PM
Maybe pop the lids off the relays and clean contacts inside, they might still click but not make a good enough connection.

jerry
07-06-2017, 01:22 PM
got new relays onlt £5 for 2 no difference however messing with the quick connects on the fuel line and suddenly the pump starts working and bike starts and runs for 5 minutes , charging is Ok 14,3v, switched off and tried again and it runs ok ,, so go to put my kit on for a ride and WTF the damn problem is back ????? relays clicking and no pump but im now suspecting a fuel pressure issue and not electrocal ?????

not sure its very frustrating as im only here for another week in thaland and no rides just hassles

think tommorow its drain tank and check the filters and fuel lines but main filter was replaced only a few months back .

any other suggestions would be appreciated

Mr Gazza
07-06-2017, 04:59 PM
What you are describing to me is a d1cky plug and socket. Just the same as my connector on one of my injectors, when I first bought my bike as a non runner.

It all checked out with the meter as working fine when the plug was a apart, but it just wouldn't make contact internally when together.
I fixed it with two new connectors soldered onto the harness.

Suggest you replace the plug and socket... I have a couple for the postage if you want them, but I'm not running them out to Thailand... My arse will be too sore after this weekend.!!

Darren69
07-06-2017, 05:34 PM
Yea, I would suspect a broken wire or dodgy connector too. It still sounds like an electrical problem to me.

jerry
08-06-2017, 01:26 AM
yeah.. lots of info on USA sites could be in the epoxy on the tank connector where it goes into the fuel level guage ,, will drain tank and have a look

had similar problem with750ss one wire had broken of in the epoxy seal i managed to fix that one

darren i have some 4 way and 1 waty superseal connectors with me which is goodplanning

jerry
08-06-2017, 12:18 PM
OK problem fixed

opened up tank removed pump and in line filter and fuel guage sender

pump worked fine when 12v applied ,, found no volts passing the fuel guage sender unit to the pump

on examining the sender it had massive cracks which had caused it to bulge and pull the cabbles out of the solder potting inside the tank that was the intermittant and definite fault

cut the fuel sender down to get to just the connector and then resoldered on the pump cables ,, obviously now no low fuel sender but after reassembly the bike is now running perfectly

the fuel sender is made entirely of plastic and was replaced 6 years ago its a very poor design , and stupid price from ducati at £ 112 a ripoff must be an alternative ??????

I took photos but they wont upload???
apart from the tacho which still needs recalibrating