PDA

View Full Version : M600 headstock stand fouled by choke cable

Marcus14h
06-06-2017, 10:24 AM
Hi all

Got a rather specific query, I am wanting to buy a headstock stand for my 1994 M600 to allow easier maintenance such as dropping the forks. I have done this before with a homemade stand under the engine which luckily worked without disaster but not wanting to test my luck that way again haha.

The issue I have come across is that the original choke cable on the M600 is routed through the steering stem which could cause an issue with the pin on the headstock stand. Has anyone come across this issue before.

Is there an easy way to move the choke cable out of the way each time I use the stand?
Or
Can I just use a smaller pin on the headstock lift to avoid trapping the cable?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Cheers

Nasher
06-06-2017, 11:17 AM
Mmm, interesting one that I hadn't thought of.

I like the headstock stands as they feel more stable and offer the opportunity to do far more maintenance than supporting the bike under the forks.

One option would be to convert the choke to the handlebar mounted version.

I was going to convert my 97 M900 away from the clutch side handlebar mounted choke to the central one a couple of years ago as it appeared too stiff, but instead I rerouted the cable and it's now smooth and easy to reach with my thumb.
I'm glad I didn't buy the parts now, as I hadn't put 2 and 2 together and realised it would stop me using my headstock stand.

A smaller pin could be an option but would be a bit of a faff making sure the cable is out of the way each time. You'd also need a slot or cut out in the base of the pin.

Sorry, not been much help really.

Nasher.

Darkness
06-06-2017, 11:33 AM
Take a look at Abba Stands.

Some people on here swear by them, though I haven't tried one myself.

Darren69
06-06-2017, 11:39 AM
+1 for ABBA stands.

Marcus14h
08-06-2017, 08:26 PM
Thanks for the tips guys!

Not heard of Abba stands but they look ideal so could be a good option.

Nasher, glad you mentioned about the choke cable, been thinking of converting to the handlebar version anyway so may wait to do that first.