PDA

View Full Version : What do you want?

jimsilver
02-06-2017, 02:50 AM
Greetings all! My name is Jim and though i'm not sure when i first joined the site,after logging on yesterday i was shocked when last visited said Dec '14!! Gosh,wow,time flies eh! Also the V5 for the '97 750 monster shows I've owned her for over 8 years,unbelievable!! Sadly it has just sat at the front of the house for,well,it'll be 3 years now. I think she still looks pretty good considering,flaky paint rusty chain etc you know what i mean. I don't have any pictures and honestly don't rate my chances of posting any very high,but I shall try sometime. I would like to get it back on the road doing it myself if possible. I just wondered if there was a link on here to download a free manual,or a site where i could get one,I can't seem to see any? I know what'll happen now,after posting this I'll probably find what I'm after,but anyways I thank you all from sunny St Andrews!!

Blah blah
02-06-2017, 07:23 AM
Hello again from the other end of the country...3 posts in 5 years is pretty good going, been busy???

Get some pictures up, we like pictures :biggrin: and we are as good as any manual, what do you want to know?

slob
02-06-2017, 07:31 AM
Welcome back

efcbluepete
02-06-2017, 08:15 AM
hello Jim,

a common issue with Ducatis, especially older ones, i.e. the manuals aren't even available to buy, so it's not as if you are doing Ducati out of any cash!

here is a potentially useful link, I cannot guarantee how useful, how virus free, safe, secure, etc please only follow the link at your own discretion.

https://www.carlsalter.com/motorcycle_manuals.html

hope it helps, but follow usual computer safety protocols (if stuck, get a teenager to help!)

Pete

jimsilver
02-06-2017, 07:32 PM
bought and stripped a 250 superdream,picked up a cb500t for a song off ebay. not entirely sure what my prep should be prior to attempting to start her up,not got a battery just yet so today i drained and removed the front brake caliper,stupid perhaps. thanx to slob blah blah and efcbluepete

Darren69
02-06-2017, 08:55 PM
Well the Superdream starter solenoid will work ok with the Ducati, I fitted one to my 1200 Mirage expecting it to last a weekend and its still going strong now after 5 years, the rest of the bike I'd advise you should throw in the nearest skip immediately or if not sooner. The CB500 deserves a much grander send off so I would go to the local canal and launch it into there, with full honours ! Then rebuild your monster :)

Darren69
02-06-2017, 09:34 PM
Actually, I'd hold off throwing away any old Jap stuff as having looked through the ads there is a lot of Jap crap fetching silly money. I mean who wouldn't pay £1850 for a mint 250 Superdream? or £6250 will get you a nice 400/4? :)

I do regret selling my RGV250. At the time I couldn't find anyone who would trade it against anything even halfway decent even an ageing FZ750 and now worth nearly 7k go figure.

jimsilver
03-06-2017, 07:58 AM
lol its good to laugh eh! the superdream was £150 and sold side panels and tailpiece for 40 odd quid so that was awrite,and bear in mind what you say about the starter solenoid. The 500 is what,1976,over 40 years old 1 owner and near mint. The monster i first saw in a bike mag in 90 something but when someone i happened to work beside had one and offered it to me i couldn't say no,1500 8 years ago wasn't bad i think. I see the ad for this Ducati week in July always wanted to go and told the mrs and got the green light,sending the passport application today!!

Darren69
03-06-2017, 08:43 AM
Don't forget to book your factory/museum tour, if you get time to visit Bologna. Actually if you intend to do that I'd check if they do them during WDW. £150 sounds reasonable for a 250N, I can't believe someone is asking nearly 2k for one, I doubt they cost that much new even after correcting for inflation etc!

utopia
03-06-2017, 10:35 AM
Talk of a CB500T reminds me of that guy who used to do pre-race shows in the 70s where he rode one of those while standing on the handlebars.
I saw him go all the way round Mallory, Brands and Oulton, during one Transatlantic Series.
Druids hairpin was particularly interesting, I recall.

If you mean the World Ducati Week event, you do know that its once every two years, don't you ?
Next one is in 2018.

The Haynes manuals (for 2-valve engined Monster/SS models) are easily available, cheap and worth having.

And welcome along from a fellow 750 owner.
....edit "back".

jimsilver
04-06-2017, 12:09 PM
Howdy utopia,no i didn't realise it was 2 yearly! Probably will get the Haynes manual,got ones for the Hondas but only recently downloaded for free a workshop manual for the 500. I'm not a wizard with the spanners not by any stretch of the imagination but just wanna see if I can get it going meself. I do have a McConochies garage literally 2 minutes from me,and he,Barron,does do a lot of bikes. A new battery is expected later this week but in the mean time I should drain the old petrol from the tank and will there still be old fuel in the fuel line,I haven't looked to see if there is a thread about this on here,that's what I should do. Gave her a wash last night and its amazing how good a condition its in for near 20 years old,hope to post some pics later using the teenager!!