PDA

View Full Version : M900 side stand bracket wanted

billbell
01-06-2017, 07:27 PM
My side stand sank into the tarmac this afternoon dumping my M900 on it's left hand side and snapping the mounting point on the side stand bracket.

Has anyone got a side stand bracket for a 1998 Monster?

billbell
01-06-2017, 07:28 PM
My side stand sank into the tarmac this afternoon dumping my M900 on it's left hand side and snapping the mounting point on the side stand bracket.

Has anyone got a side stand bracket for a 1998 Monster?

utopia
01-06-2017, 08:08 PM
'Fraid not, but .....
Are you sure its the sidestand bracket that has gone ?
Some are ally and if its one of those then maybe it has, but most are steel and virtually unbreakable.
Somewhat disconcertingly though, its quite common for the ally spigot on the crankcases to shear.
This is usually as a result of the securing bolt working loose, which puts extra stress on the spigot.

Hoping yours is ok.

billbell
01-06-2017, 08:21 PM
Yes unfortunately the stud that the stand screws onto is toast.

Some pics of the carnage on link below :Furious:

https://overheadproductions.wordpress.com/ducati-monster-900-snapped-side-stand-bracket/

Scotty
01-06-2017, 09:02 PM
i would get a steel side stand bracket fro ma later model bike the alu flip up stands are a bit meh and stupid expensive

slob
01-06-2017, 09:14 PM
Lucky FWIW, the case would have been way more complicated to fix... and expensive!

Nasher
01-06-2017, 09:34 PM
I have a couple of options at the moment from my current clearout that might work, the experts will I'm sure comment.

I have an as brand new 916 bracket for £50 inc postage within the UK

http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y481/Nashersimages/916%20SS%20bracket_zpsxiwtcb6r.jpg (http://s1277.photobucket.com/user/Nashersimages/media/916%20SS%20bracket_zpsxiwtcb6r.jpg.html)

Or I'm happy to remove the bracket from one of these two stands for £15ea inc postage
They are believed to be 851 or 888, but I don't know for sure.
Both the actual stands have part of the foot broken off.

http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y481/Nashersimages/Sidestands_zpssiea9noa.jpg (http://s1277.photobucket.com/user/Nashersimages/media/Sidestands_zpssiea9noa.jpg.html)

Nasher

Flip
01-06-2017, 09:34 PM
Apologies for the Hi-jack here but it is kind of related.

It's MoT time here again for my old Monster and as time goes on with it I get more and more nervous when it comes to them checking the steering and swing arm bearings by tilting the bike over using the side stand- It even specifically states in my owners manual not to even sit on the bike with the side stand down as damage to the engine cases may result!

Now the place I get an MoT usually gets me to help during the test and in particular to lean the bike over on the stand.

So presumably if it, or anything else broke while doing this it would be my problem rather than the MoT station?

But as they can't use their little wheelie jack under the engine (or anywhere else) to lift it what is the alternative?

Nasher
01-06-2017, 09:39 PM
I've posted on your other thread.

Nasher

slob
01-06-2017, 10:38 PM
what is the alternative?ABBA stand

threads merged

Flip
01-06-2017, 10:45 PM
ABBA stand

Cheers Rob, just that it looks like I will be needing to find a new place to get it done this year so may well be asking the question before booking it in.

billbell
03-06-2017, 06:10 PM
Thanks for your suggestions, all sorted now, my mate made a mod for the existing bracket on the lathe and all good.

Flip
06-06-2017, 09:22 PM
Going on from this given the chance that during an MoT at some test stations there is a risk of it breaking I have done some research which should help save any future breakages.

This makes quite an interesting read for those concerned or who currently take their bike to a test centre that uses the 'side stand method' for lifting the wheels clear of the ground:

http://www.righttoride.co.uk/top-issues/motorcycle/mot-%E2%80%93-save-our-stands/

Armed with this information I took my bike to a new test station today after chatting with them on the phone about how they undertook checking the steering etc. where they informed me they use a 'floating plate' to minimise drag in order to give an accurate assessment of condition and adjustment.

Perfect!!

My Monster MoT'd for another year all in the only dry hour of the day down here on the South Coast.

utopia
07-06-2017, 12:31 AM
I note that the response from the DVTA says that the practice of using the sidestand to raise the motorcycle cannot be used.
But they also say this ...

"Where motorcycle road wheels cannot be raised safely from the ground, the examiner is limited to a visual inspection and assessment of components. The annual inspection is in the main a ‘visual inspection’, without any dismantling of vehicles or involving cumbersome processes, therefore there are a few types of motor vehicles and motorcycles which cannot be raised from the ground during the annual inspection."

That paragraph, and in particular the second sentence, is meaningless gobbledegook, isn't it ?
Its bad enough that there's little if any useful info in the first sentence, but the second one simply makes no logical sense at all.
No wonder there are grey areas.

Flip
07-06-2017, 07:28 PM
I agree it is left open to some interpretation but assuming the tester is aware of the fact that a 'visual only' type inspection is acceptable it should mean that the bike won't have to endure having it's full weight put through it's side stand in order to check the bearings and therefore not be quite so at risk from it breaking.

Obviously I would suggest (as I did) to speak to the prospective tester to hear their views prior to booking a bike in as it would be a P155er for it to fail because you refused to allow the tester to lift the wheels by the stand halfway through the test, even if it is deemed to be an 'unsafe method'.

Mr Gazza
07-06-2017, 07:43 PM
I sacked the retard that hoiked my Monster over on it's stand. I only used him for that one time as he was local.
He claims to be a motorcycle shop but hasn't even got a thirty quid paddock stand for MOTs.
I went back to the place I've used for the past thirty odd years. They have an ABBA stand with all the adapters.