PDA

View Full Version : Mr nail hates my tyres.

oldie54
31-05-2017, 05:32 PM
Does anyone around Oxfordshire have a recommendation for tyre fitters as I have just found my back tyre deflated and with a big nail sticking out of it? Can probably get the bike in my van and deliver it but don't have a single sided paddock stand.

oldie54
31-05-2017, 08:16 PM
This wasn't meant to be in this forum. Not having a good day today.

Mr Gazza
31-05-2017, 08:24 PM
Have a look at this.

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=55231

It might be just the thing for you?

oldie54
31-05-2017, 08:50 PM
I didn't think z rated tyres could be repaired at all but on seeing this I checked and Michelin are the only manufacturer who say there tyres can have a plug type repair as long as it's not in the sidewall. Going to ring my local favourites who sort my van and ask them if they can help.also going to inflate tyre to see if it holds enough air to get there. Cheers for the link Mr Gazza.

Dirty
31-05-2017, 11:38 PM
You gotta hit Mr nail on the head mate :)

oldie54
01-06-2017, 06:05 AM
So ruddy annoying, I'm a chippy and spend my life making sure I haven't dropped any nails or screws on the ground. Hey ho, let's see if I can get it sorted today.

slob
01-06-2017, 07:05 AM
Bear in mind any kind of repair inserted from the outside has the potential to come out the same way it went in and should only ever be treated as a temporary measure to get you home or to a full mushroom patch inserted from inside (if the hole is well away from the shoulder of the tyre) or a new tyre.

oldie54
01-06-2017, 11:11 AM
Cheers Slob, found Kings two wheel centre in Kidlington who will perform the fix as its a Michelin. Ordered Ducati kit for my ABBA stand and bought a 46mm socket. Repair will be pukka mushroom type from inside not bit of rubber shoved in hole from outside. Only issue now is its sunny and I can't get it done till Tuesday next, DOH!

utopia
01-06-2017, 11:33 AM
The mushroom repairs inserted from the inside are very reliable (as long as its the right type of puncture, ie not in the sidewall etc).
My last Michelin PR2 rear had three of these eventually, before I finally pensioned it off.
Actually, I fitted them myself.

Virtually all roadside plugs, inserted from the outside, are purely "get you home at slow speed" measures.
The only exception to this that I've come across is the Dynaplug system (as in the earlier link) which has apparently been judged in America to be safe to treat as you would an undamaged tyre.
I'm not sure that I would totally trust that, but it does suggest a greater safety margin for the repair.
Its an extremely quick and simple system to use too, as well as being tiny and easy to pack on the bike (easily fits in the underseat toolbox)
Worth the (very reasonable) cost, I reckon, even if only to save you having to load the bike in the van to ferry to the repair shop (or buy a rear paddock stand).

Though I should point out that my comments are not based on personal experience ... yet.
But that will change at the next nail.

Darren69
01-06-2017, 02:20 PM
You don't usually get a nail until you fit new tyres, then you find loads!

Dirty
02-06-2017, 02:07 AM
judged in America to be safe

I find American judgements of 'safe' range between 'so safe as to render the activity pointless' and 'as safe as setting yourself on fire and running into an ammo store'.

utopia
02-06-2017, 10:49 AM
Agreed .. and I wouldn't totally trust their claims.
But it does suggest a certain baseline performance advantage for the Dynaplug system if no other repair system has achieved such approval.

rendo
03-06-2017, 08:59 AM
i carry a stop'n'go tyre plugger for road side repairs, its designed to plug from the inside yet can easily be done with the wheel still on the bike.

has worked well for me!