PDA

View Full Version : Flaky engine paint

Billy Bigwheels
06-03-2004, 12:23 PM
Just noticed that I have big flakes of paint comming off the underside of my engine. Don't have salt corrosion on any ally parts which makes sense cus I'm pretty fanatical about a cold washdown after going on a road which could quite possibly still be a bit salty.
I've been searching for the old thread which covered this issue, but I guess it was one the unfortunates who perished in the clean-up.

Can anyone clarify what the dealer position was - does it have to go through the dealer you bought from? & which dealers are sympathetic or tough titty?
My bike is still under warranty, was supplied by DLS and I do obviously intend to take it back, but ideally not to them as they are miles from me.

I know that Terry also got a statement from Ducati UK but I can't find that either. What was the jist of it?

Just want to be armed before I start causing S_*t.

fatbloke
06-03-2004, 01:34 PM
I had a similar problem with my engine and the
heads were replaced under warrenty.
If you have any warrenty problems (after you have been to the dealer) contact Peter Brooking
at Ducati UK I'll get his email address and forward it on to you Carl.

CK & AK
06-03-2004, 02:35 PM
My bits with 'lifting chunks' on the 750ie also got fully replaced Carl.

C

Billy Bigwheels
06-03-2004, 02:53 PM
Cheers guys - will post updates along the way.

CK & AK
06-03-2004, 05:00 PM
For what its worth, I know that Blufoots also got done - and Sazza & MartinS4 (he doesnt get on the forum often), are also in contact with dealers on this issue.......there are others too....

C

ps - anything else gone 'boobs up' BBW??? My clocks have already gone for a burton (so steamed up I cant see them!), so will be done at 1st service..........seat catch not staying shut (caused a 'nasty moment' for me today).... piddling things really.... just need to be 'sorted'

Billy Bigwheels
06-03-2004, 06:46 PM
My clocks also get a bit steamy, worthy of warranty I reckon but not too bad. Aprt from that nothing else at all. Still very very happy.

kevin5952
07-03-2004, 02:00 PM
i,ve notied that the paint on my engine is starting to flake.Not too bad at the moment,bike is 1998 so no warranty with it.Is there anything anyone can recommend to stop it continuing or any tricks to try and get it back to what it was without forking out ££££,s...regards

NattyBoy
07-03-2004, 04:53 PM
My '97 bike was appalling when I got it. Brushed off all the dead stuff and cleaned it/degreased the best I could, masked the bike THOROUGHLY, and then dusted it over with a car spray paint. The secret is to get a thin layer of paint so it doesnt look cack.

Also removed cam & belt covers and wet and dried them down, spraying them gunmetal, and finshed off with new stainless bolts all round (Ill have even more when Billy pulls his finger out and sends me his spares!!!!!:lol: ).

Now this sounds like a bodge, and I have to admit when my mate suggested it I cringed, but you wouldnt believe the difference..looks great IMO/ See attched piccie with the front cyliner finished, before I painted the belt/cam covers.

Hope this helps..

Nat

Billy Bigwheels
08-03-2004, 03:05 PM
Round 1

Pegasus Reading are not prepared to take up my case and suggest that I go back to where I bought the bike from which was Ducati London South. Unfortunately this is bloody miles from me but ho hum.

Having bought 1 bike from Pegasus i'm not sure if I ever will again.

Now waiting for the relevant person from DLS to call back so that I can
arrange to call in the same day that the Ducati Regional Rep is there.

CK & AK
08-03-2004, 03:14 PM
What about 'on your Bike' Carl - wont they be nearer - and Terry has connections there too.

NattyBoy
08-03-2004, 05:13 PM
best of luck pal..dont let 'em stress yer !!!!!

Nat

Billy Bigwheels
08-03-2004, 05:46 PM
Yea, guess I could give on yer bike a ring to sound them out.

Too late with the stress though nattyboy - done 140 miles today to try and blow out the cobwebs but it still doesn't make me feel better. Will update round 2 as & when.

SazzaG
08-03-2004, 07:23 PM
Carl, could you let me know when the rep's coming to DLS? I've got the same problem on my bike, and like you, it's a bit of a trek there, so it would be great to get the bike there on the right day!

I spoke to them a few weeks ago, and all they were going to do was take photos and send them to Ducati...

Ta

Saz

johnypebs
23-03-2004, 01:29 PM
This is like athlete's foot, I've now got flaky paint syndrome aswell. The paint on the crankcases has just come off in sheets, with the crankcases left with a white furry residue and looking truly ****e. It's not just underneath, lots came away from around the neutral switch too. I just spent the morning taking the calipers and pads off to clean and grease everything and got a bit carried away with cleaning up the rest of the bike when the extent of the paint problem revealed itself. I have to leave my bike under a tarpaulin for a fortnight at a time whilst I'm at work so I admit some complicity in this and can accept things like cadmium plated bolts looking cack, but the paint is not right. How much is my six month old bike worth as a trade in looking like the engine has been pulled out of a canal?
By the way, the centre stand I put on last week is rusty already, can they paint anything properly?

NattyBoy
23-03-2004, 01:40 PM
Seems like they still, even after all these years, only make the bikes for a mediterranean climate !! I feel p***d off when I strip and clean my 888 and the paint comes off in sheets underneath, but youd half expect that with a 10 year old duke. Plus the fairing hides most of the cackness underneath on mine !

I did hear of a guy who had the problem with a 998S..£13ks worth!....not good.

Im sure youll get the desired result, but I have to say that your unlikely to get a dealer being pro-active..I would tap terry up for some contacts @ DUK.

Best of british...!
Cheers
nat

Didge
23-03-2004, 05:39 PM
I too have Just started to have this problem underneath the engine at the front.
Anyone know the nearest shade to the light grey engine paint that Ducati use?
In the meantime, for the future, (I wish I'd found this stuff a few months back), use this stuff to stop it happening again.
I've copied and pasted it from a previous post.

Scottoiler ‘FS 365 Protector Spray’.

This comes in a plastic 1-litre hand pump spray bottle. It’s a water based oil that you spray all over your engine etc, (but NOT the brakes obviously), and when it dries out it leaves a clear sticky, slightly glossy coating that protects your bike bits from salt and corrosion. Obviously, being sticky, the crap tends to stick to it, but you just hose it off when you think your bikes looking a bit ratty, and off it comes, taking all the muck with it. I’ve used it on my Monster, and my little CG125 and I love the stuff. I deliberately left the CG for a week riding on all the salty roads everyday, and just respraying it every couple of days or so. The engine looked really manky at the end of the week, but when I hosed it of, the bloody engine was pristine.
As I ride the CG in all weathers, and abuse it something rotten by not washing it for weeks at a time, I really am amazed at how this stuff has protected it. I really can’t praise the Protector Spray enough.
I recommend it to everyone, even if you only ride your bike in nice weather. I’ve covered the Ducati engine twice, and the CG 3 or 4 times, and hardly used any at all, it really does go a long way. The other plus point is, when the engine gets hot, it gives off a lovely smell that’s a bit like ‘Gunk’. (Note that’s spelt with a ‘G’ folks).
Brilliant stuff .

***** stars

Scottoiler ‘FS 365 Protector Spray’ - 1 litre bottle costs about £6.99 in the shops or £5.99 direct from Scottoilers website.
http://www.scottoiler.com/

Attachment: fs 365 protector spray.jpeg

spacemonkey
23-03-2004, 05:57 PM
Ditto. What is the best paint to use? I'm gonna take the lump out when I move to Spain in a year and spray it properly, but what is the best for now? I will probably brush on.

Billy Bigwheels
23-03-2004, 08:51 PM
SazzaJ - Not really too happy with the response I got from DLS. They just didn't give me the impression that they would fight my corner.
After speaking with William @ DLS, all they would do is as you say, ie. take piccies & send them to the Ducati Regional Rep. The rep doesn't want to be there to look at the bike at all - probably sh*t scared of getting a kickin.
They also do a report on what it's been cleaned with etc.
The most striking thing was their view that this has to be an isolated case as they had never seen or heard of it.

Conversely On Yer Bike (cheers CK) just gave a totally different impression telling me about all the warranty work they do there and how Ducati seem to be much more open to paying out than the others dealerships they deal with - not sure they would appreciate me splashing that across the web but there we go.

So that's it really - gonna take it to OYB and see what the crack is. Same deal, photos for submission but you can still take the case up directly with Ducati if you aren't happy with the response.

Good luck and i'll post on what happens when I go there in the next week or so.

M900Dom
27-03-2004, 09:43 PM
My cases were starting to look a bit scabby as well, so while it was all apart I decided to paint them.

You can either use proper engine paint or ......

2-pack paint:D
This means you are not restricted to "Wheel silver" from halfords or Matt black spherex !!

You can do Nice Sparkly spangly finishes like this : Black Pearl Metallic, with red/Blue and Yellow? pearl

http://pic5.picturetrail.com/VOL93/2039551/3951420/49537251.jpg

I am a very very happy fella after todays time in the garage;) :D

Oh and that photo was before the laquer went on as well, its even better with the clear coat on, just a bugger to photograph though:eek:

Cases rubbed down, 1k aluminium Etch primer, 2K high build primer,2 coats rub down between, Black pearl Basecoat, 2 coats, de-nib between, 2K laquer 2 coats so far. will have De-nib, polish the details then a final laquer Finish coat over the top ;)

If a jobs worth doing and all that:rolleyes:

CK & AK
28-03-2004, 08:02 AM
Dont see why I should have to do that to mine - as only 2 months old!
First lump came off at 5 weeks old.....:(

C

slug
28-03-2004, 11:58 AM
I fully agree with you CK. My bike is just 12 months old and the paint is flaking on the sump just behind the starter motor.

My local dealer Fylde Superbikes are looking in to it, they said they felt there wasn't much hope and that Ducati would use any number of excuses to fend off a claim.
If the dealer doesn't get anywhere with it I will take it up with DUK myself

CK & AK
28-03-2004, 12:02 PM
Slug/Daryl - my last bike had casings changed, as was under 2 years old (was only 8 months when I reported the first prob).
Keep chasing your dealer mate, they CAN be changed - at no cost to you, provided you have regularly cleaned & looked after your bike.
Best of luck,

C

CK & AK
28-03-2004, 01:56 PM
update: Problem being resolved by Ducati uk

Thankyou Iain :)

Hope it works out for me:cool:

The rest of you: Keep nagging your dealer - it can be done:D

C

celt
28-03-2004, 05:33 PM
i've also got the flakey paint on my 8 month old dark 620ie.

i'm not going to put up with it so i have emailed ducati uk to see what kind of response i get.

if anybody get there's replaced under warranty let me know so i have some more ammo.

i might even bug them at the track day.

spacemonkey
28-03-2004, 08:19 PM
Surely by now they would do something at the factory?

Dark-Jon
28-03-2004, 08:27 PM
This really must be the season for it!!! I noticed some flaking on the underside of the engine a few weeks ago but put it down to stone chips. Then, today, cleaning my bike, big flap of paint comes off from behind the starter motor and a few bubbles appearing in the casing in various places :(

Bikes 2 years old in August, can I still get it sorted under warranty? and where do I go? I orginally got the bike from Chris Clarkes but they closed down (and Norfolk is a long way away). Will another Dealer sort it out or do you have to go back to where you got it?

REALLY not my day

Dark-Jon :(

SazzaG
28-03-2004, 08:48 PM
Is it worth us all getting together and contacting Ducati UK directly? After all, we are the biggest Monster club in the world. It does seem to me that a lot of the dealers are denying there's a problem, despite the fact that what I would call a significant percentage of the club have found flaky paint on very new bikes.

Funny how DLS told Carl that his was their first case they'd heard of. I phoned them a few weeks ago with the same problem! Haven't got round to taking it up there though. As for them wanting to know about cleaning, etc., how can they prove it? Even if you haven't cleaned it much, you're hardly going to take it there for an inspection covered in mud...

Jon, your warranty should be 2 years, so it's got to be worth fighting it. Probably worth phoning around the dealers, as I've been told that not all of them like doing warranty jobs for bikes they didn't sell, as they don't get a full refund.

Problem for me is, now the weather's getting better, I don't want to let my bike go to be repainted! Can't really leave it 'til next winter though, as it can only get worse.

I'll phone DLS tomorrow and let you all know if I get the same response as Carl.

Fingers crossed!

Saz

Will
28-03-2004, 10:12 PM
This appears to be a problem with all recent Monsters - I am going to write to Ducati UK and Ducati Italy about the problem - essentially the paint flakes off because of poor design and poor workmanship and quality control at the factory - all other motorcycle manufacturers have solved this problem long ago and Ducati must do the same before they lose too many customers!

Any truly professional and honourable organisation would welcome customer feedback and solve the problem. - It is in their interests to do so - how many Monster Customers are going to buy another one after these experiences?

I am a professional Engineer and it is obvious to me what the causes of the problem are and I won't be fobbed off with excuses!!

celt
29-03-2004, 05:23 AM
i think its a great idea Saz.

i think as a club we could actually do something about this as we have the numbers.

Billy Bigwheels
29-03-2004, 06:18 PM
Took my baby to On Yer Bike today. They didn't take photos but given the overall condition they are confident that the work will be okayed. So much so that they have booked it in to have the flakey parts replaced.
There's still a chance it could get kicked back by Ducati UK of course but the bike has been so well kept that they (and I) can't see how general salt or other? corrosion could be blamed.

I guess the situation will be the same for anyone else - assuming the rest of the bike is in excellent condition it's just a question of finding a dealer who is prepared to take the work on. Not in mint condition then I couldn't comment.

So today I am one happy boy and will still buy a third Monny when the time comes.

Dark-Jon
29-03-2004, 06:26 PM
k, took some piccies of the underside of my bike earlier:

http://monster.feralyards.co.uk/images/paint_peel1.jpg
http://monster.feralyards.co.uk/images/paint_peel2.jpg

I've always kept the bike pretty clean but it does get used in the wet as well as the dry. There doesn't seem to be any sign of salt corrosion anywhere on the bike (that my untrained eye can see) so is this bad enough to warrant it getting sorted?

Also, what about these little bubbles:

http://monster.feralyards.co.uk/images/paint_bubble1.jpg
http://monster.feralyards.co.uk/images/paint_bubble2.jpg

Im guessing the worst that they'll develop into the big flake syndrome. Oddly enough, they only appear on the offside of the park (right hand side as you sit on it), the other side is perfect!?!

waddya reckon?

Dark-Jon

NattyBoy
29-03-2004, 07:13 PM
great result carl..well chuffed for you. Think theyll do my 888 casings as ive looked after it ??

:D :D

Nat

CK & AK
29-03-2004, 07:18 PM
Jon - contact your dealer.

Carl - this HAS happened before.........DLS were to replace Blufoots casings, but owing to them having a 4 month wait last summer, they sent him to Daytona to get them done.

My M750ie (March 2002), was reported to Ducati UK when it was 1 year old for the deterioration of the casings: Clutch & crank. It had already had the clocks changed at the second service (6 months old).
Result: Casings & also the r/h foot peg hangers & the handlebars all changed as a 'goodwill gesture' when the bike was 18 months old.

My M1000sie (end Jan 2004)was reported to the dealer at 2 weeks - with misting clocks. Reported again at 5 weeks to have lump of paint off the bottom of the l/h crank case (then: 236 miles on the clocks). Photos sent to Ducati uk. Result:casing to be replaced - will not affect warranty.

Blufoot, Fatbloke & 4 others to my knowledge have had monster engine parts replaced last year.

This is NOT an isolated case - none of you are unique.

However, Ducati UK say they will look at each case individually.

Hope this is of help.

Charlotte

ps - still love the bike - power delivery is awesome - just hate the 'tattyness' of it.:mad:

slug
01-05-2004, 11:05 PM
Just an update on my flakey engine casings - DUK have agreed to let my dealer either paint or repalce my casings.

Its a great result and IMO the dealer and DUK have earned many browney points. But now I dont know whether to go for a respary or replaced casings, What do reckon I should do?

BTW i also pointed out flakey paint on oil cooler which they are replacing as well!

Tjay
02-05-2004, 08:21 AM
I am going through the same line of torture that you probably did,trying to get the 'flakey paint' syndrone sorted on my year old bike!!
I am hoping that Pro Twins will eventually offer to repaint my casings,as I think poor Italian preparation and sh*te finish is the reason moisture is getting under the paint,and thus causing paint to come off in sheets.If you go for new casings you are going to be back at square one again in 6 months time!Hmmmph.

Have a look at the paint on your wheels to see what quality can be achieved.

Keep us informed with what you do,

Cheers

Tjay

slug
05-05-2004, 11:35 AM
Tjay
I gave my dealer a CD with digital photos of the affected areas and the bikes general condition, they sent it to DUK who responded quickly. The thing is, as i understand it, it is DUK who have to give the dealer the go ahead to do the work. If your dealer isnt responding try going direct to Ducati UK. Good luck.

I think you are quite right about being back at square one with replacement casings. Plus the fact that your new casing would need to be stamped up with new engine numbers. It would therefore be preferable to improve the paint quality on the old casings, my problem is that I am no expert in this department and could do with advice or recommendations from other forum users.
There is also an issue about whether repainting will affect the bikes warranty

DesmoDog
12-05-2004, 09:10 AM
Hi everyone,

this indeed was a former thread and probably worth a sticky post, the last time everyone was to get together (like Sazza says) and bludgeon the Ducati ref because dealers were less than helpful. Re travelling to dealers - I'm sure the consumer protection act specifies that the seller has to arrange collection of anything defective, if you take the bile to them there's probably a case for compensation. Also don't let them fob you off with anything about Ducati, the contract was made with them as Vendor, they have to do the rest. Of course this may differ under "automotive", a little checking wouldn't do any harm.

CK & AK
12-05-2004, 09:26 AM
Replacement v's repaint?

Replacement does mean you will have to have the engine number re-stamped on the new casing - poss causing problems for any future resale?
However, the main problems with the lower casings has been limited to those casings produced in 2002/poss early 2003 - which I have found are on my 2004 bike (luck of the draw eh?).

Repaint. This will be done by a 3rd party for your dealer. You will have no recourse under warranty to Ducati - but to the dealer who arranges the work to be done for you (free of charge of course). Many dealers are justifiably wary about going down this route. You will not have a choice as to paint shop (unless you are really lucky).

Difficult choice really.....

Me - would rather that they supplied me with them, for AK to get sorted for me - but this was not an option...

CK

Blufoot
12-05-2004, 11:58 AM
Liars Liars Liars - sayin they'd never seen it before, I caused such a fuss at DLS I doubt very much that they forgot!

To anyone complaining to Ducati, I wish you good luck - these warranty claims can really drag on and YOU are usually the one that has to push things along not them.

But stick to your guns and keep pushing, and you will eventually get what you want.

Another thing, when you finally settle with DUK, make sure you check exactly what the agreement they send you says - coz I thought I was gettin new cases all round, only to find out they only done one side - which looked a bit odd spangling next to another old flakey casing! when i phoned up to moan they said "well you read the agreement and it clearly says we would replace the crank cases, and we have done - if you wanted your (some word i forgot) cases changed too you should have said before you agreed". I thought this was ridiculous and I was in the process of beginning the fight again when my monster got nicked.

Puts you off wanting to shell out on a new monster really.

celt
19-05-2004, 10:15 PM
well i just took mine in to M & S Motorcycles in Newcastle and i will hear there verdict in next couple of days.

the sales guy gary is always helpful but the tech guy upstairs said he'd never heard of anything like it before.

they took photo's and said they would contact ducati.

fb is it alright to direct their attention to this flakey paint link as it might help if they see so many cases.

i will not let this go until ducati at least give me a re-spray.

celt
25-05-2004, 04:24 PM
more pictures taken this time they are overall condition pics.
should know their decision in couple of days. fingers crossed as i really dont want a fight on my hands.