PDA

View Full Version : Fenella's going away outfit :-)

MerlinPV12
30-05-2017, 07:37 PM
Well, its that time of year again. So, for TT 2017 Fenella is showing off her new outfit of a 3.2kg Ti full system and a magnesium swing arm - the seat has been re done with the Manx logo properly done, i.e. not as the last one with one leg 25mm shorter than the others and upside down! These are phone pics so not great as the colour looks washed out. The last one is as she is coming out of the factory after the exhaust was fabricated, you can see the soon to be redundant lambda's hanging down. Its also got the stock seat on, with a painted cowl. The quality of the picture is a bit better.

The exhaust is just starting to blue nicely, and will look much better once it goes all over. And yes it is loud. Think old bevel twin with a megaphone and you're pretty much there :mand: The sound on the overrun is just gorgeous +3HP and 2.6 torque, runs a lot smoother from the bottom end, no loss of power on original, the extra comes in around 6k

It's like pushing a 125 around when manhandling her. Will get her weighed when I can find a weighbridge.

Mirrors are now all black, as are the fluid pots and I have anodised the levers and resets

The spring should be red, but only arrived back today, so its running on a black loaner, which still looks good. Have still to have the NCR cover polished to match the swing arm, but that will have to wait!

http://i.imgur.com/a8wDQuph.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/s0b3AgKh.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/JEQj5k1h.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/X3grYPkh.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/E38vRa5h.jpg[/IMG]

Mr Gazza
30-05-2017, 07:54 PM
I think you can put one wheel at a time on bathroom scales and add the two weights together?... Rather saucy mate.. :thumbsup:

Albie
30-05-2017, 07:55 PM
Gorgeous I am now sad and regretting But only for seeing yours

Jez900ie
30-05-2017, 08:19 PM
Very nice! Who did the seat for you?

MerlinPV12
30-05-2017, 08:47 PM
Very nice! Who did the seat for you?

Thanks Jez - Hawthorn and Heaney did the embroidery, then Mike at Auto Interiors (near Heathrow) put it all together - can highly recommend both.

http://i1373.photobucket.com/albums/ag389/Duke1100evo/Seat_zpseurklae5.jpg (http://s1373.photobucket.com/user/Duke1100evo/media/Seat_zpseurklae5.jpg.html)

utopia
30-05-2017, 09:05 PM
Er, yes .. well .. oh my goodness.

The whole thing must be superlight.
And I can believe the 125 comparison .. my 750 turned into a 350 2-stroke after it got carbon wheels.

Superb, in all the right ways.
Maybe a tad pricey to fit my own preferred compromises, but right on the money, as it were.

And yes, I weigh mine by adding bathroom scales readings from both wheels.
Purists could raise the other wheel on a plank of the same height, but its unlikely to be significant.
The difficulty is holding the bike steady without affecting the reading, but its do-able.
Afterthought .. I guess you could paddock-stand the other end ...?
My improved method will involve two cheap, high range, electronic "spring"-balances from china, some webbing slings and a stout garage beam. Possibly a chain hoist too, but that's being fussy.
Food for thought for the weight conscious perhaps ?
Either way, you can add the two readings to get the total mass, because the balances are in parallel.

Luddite
30-05-2017, 11:13 PM
Stunning! Where are the tie-down points (to stop it floating away when you park it?!).

utopia
31-05-2017, 01:03 AM
Ha !
Is it entirely a coincidence that the aluminium scrap bin in the background is turned so that, at first sight, its label appears to say "minimum" ?

Uncle Bob
31-05-2017, 08:21 AM
That is rather lovely! What\where\how... the forks?

slob
31-05-2017, 08:45 AM
Your friendly local MOT centre should be able to weigh it for you.

Looking good Mike.

MerlinPV12
31-05-2017, 04:04 PM
Ha !
Is it entirely a coincidence that the aluminium scrap bin in the background is turned so that, at first sight, its label appears to say "minimum" ?

If only I were that observant :chuckle: You do realise with observations like that your encroaching on Dirty's territory... :-)

MerlinPV12
31-05-2017, 04:08 PM
Er, yes .. well .. oh my goodness.

The whole thing must be superlight.
And I can believe the 125 comparison .. my 750 turned into a 350 2-stroke after it got carbon wheels.

Superb, in all the right ways.
Maybe a tad pricey to fit my own preferred compromises, but right on the money, as it were.

And yes, I weigh mine by adding bathroom scales readings from both wheels.
Purists could raise the other wheel on a plank of the same height, but its unlikely to be significant.
The difficulty is holding the bike steady without affecting the reading, but its do-able.
Afterthought .. I guess you could paddock-stand the other end ...?
My improved method will involve two cheap, high range, electronic "spring"-balances from china, some webbing slings and a stout garage beam. Possibly a chain hoist too, but that's being fussy.
Food for thought for the weight conscious perhaps ?
Either way, you can add the two readings to get the total mass, because the balances are in parallel.

Ermm, with my luck I stand a very good chance of dropping it, so Slobs' MOT centre idea is looking favourite for now - and thanks for the kind comments

MerlinPV12
31-05-2017, 04:16 PM
That is rather lovely! What\where\how... the forks?

Cheers Uncle Bob, 4 years in the making, just wanted to put something together that at least came from my ideas, if not physical labour. Forks are stock sleeves anodised red with Maxton GP30 internals. Rear is Maxton too. Brakes are GP4 RS - back brake is still %**t like so many others!

MerlinPV12
31-05-2017, 04:22 PM
Stunning! Where are the tie-down points (to stop it floating away when you park it?!).

Thank you sir, its been fun and agonising in equal measure - I started the latest changes in January, the exhaust was finished on the 15th May, I finally got the bike back yesterday!

If I go out on it, it will be tethered to me at all times! Any other time it has several Almax chains and various other devices to keep it from going anywhere...

Darren69
31-05-2017, 06:53 PM
Stunning looking bike, impressive spec too! The evo of all evo's maybe?

I do think the red/black seat looks good but the plain black looks better to me. It's just my personal preferences you understand and I may have gone with some red piping and the rest just nice black leather instead. And if I'm being really picky maybe black or gold fork legs. That's just nit picking, its a work of art really.

MerlinPV12
31-05-2017, 07:23 PM
Stunning looking bike, impressive spec too! The evo of all evo's maybe?

I do think the red/black seat looks good but the plain black looks better to me. It's just my personal preferences you understand and I may have gone with some red piping and the rest just nice black leather instead. And if I'm being really picky maybe black or gold fork legs. That's just nit picking, its a work of art really.

Hi Darren, I'd be happy with your preferences as well, so no contest there! Pictures don't do the seat justice, when you see it in real life the colour comes out so much better. And if I didn't find the stock seat so uncomfortable, I may well have gone for a colour combo as you suggest. Just cant bring myself to spend any money on it!

I have no problem with ohlins gold either, but at the time I wanted something a bit different - the red didn't take long to grow on me. As you may know, you take a punt with anodised colour, so I didn't really know what I'd be getting. Now I've grown to like it and would be reluctant to change.

Black is another good option and one I'm actively perusing by trying to replace as many silver items still on the bike with black. We'll see how that goes, HM managed to find me some Black Ti bolts and I'll continue to look for more.

Doggy
31-05-2017, 09:31 PM
Wow, a real work of art!

bazread
31-05-2017, 09:46 PM
She just keeps getting better and better looking, stunning job Merlin.

Dirty
31-05-2017, 11:36 PM
.................................................. ....................... <--------speechless

I bet the chains weigh more than the bike!

MerlinPV12
01-06-2017, 08:01 AM
I think you can put one wheel at a time on bathroom scales and add the two weights together?... Rather saucy mate.. :thumbsup:
Thanks Mr G :thumbsup:

MerlinPV12
01-06-2017, 08:05 AM
.................................................. ....................... <--------speechless

I bet the chains weigh more than the bike!

Speechless?? Has to be a first :chuckle:

You might not be far wrong on the chains as one of them is a 2m Almax IV which I have to drag around as I cant lift it!

MerlinPV12
01-06-2017, 08:06 AM
Wow, a real work of art!

Thanks Doggy, appreciated :thumbsup:

MerlinPV12
01-06-2017, 08:07 AM
She just keeps getting better and better looking, stunning job Merlin.

You're too kind Baz :D

drheshamali
04-06-2017, 11:58 AM
Nice customisation job.

On a completely unrelated not, eh, are you getting rid of the exhaust system you previously had on it? Come to think of it, I happen to have a 2011 1100 Evo which may benefit from a new exhaust kit. :on:

Luddite
14-06-2017, 12:16 PM
Hope you had a good TT. Did those titanium pipes blue up nicely?

Samba123
14-06-2017, 05:25 PM
Loving the exhausts, they'd look lovely on my 1100S who did them for you?

MerlinPV12
14-06-2017, 06:46 PM
Hope you had a good TT. Did those titanium pipes blue up nicely?

As the weather was so poor over race week and the mountain closed for good chunks of time due to the usual wanna-be racers running out of talent very quickly and binning it, resulting in the Police closing the road for investigation and clear up. This meant I didn't get many miles in. That said, all but one race ran, so we still got to see some great racing. Sadly, Davey, Jochem and Alan didnt return to the paddock, so so sad.

As you would expect the front lower pipe is going a very nice blue, as is the under seat portion, just behind the sub-frame, the rest is coming along veeeery slowly. The shot below was taken just before I left the Island, so a further 200 miles from Liverpool to London has helped it along, a bit.

I was speaking to a guy up at the Creg Ny Baa with a full Ti system on his RSV4 and he said it took him 8 track days and some serious road usage for the whole system to turn blue. Guess its all to do with air flow/cooling. One chap said he had heard that if you spray WD40 on the Ti it helps it along...not sure about that?

http://i1373.photobucket.com/albums/ag389/Duke1100evo/20170613_203627_zpsofqggpff.jpg (http://s1373.photobucket.com/user/Duke1100evo/media/20170613_203627_zpsofqggpff.jpg.html)

Luddite
14-06-2017, 06:52 PM
What a magnificent view (and the scenery's not bad either!).

That blue's coming along nicely...