PDA

View Full Version : Monster 800 sie forks

kempy
15-05-2017, 03:25 PM
Does anyone have the torque settings for the front forks on my 800 sie, i believe they are Showa 43mm

Cheers

slob
15-05-2017, 08:33 PM
Bottom yoke screw: 20Nm (molybdenum disulphide grease) tighten 1-2-1 sequence
Fork bottom end bolt: 20Nm (moly disulphide grease)
Front Caliper bolts 43Nm (moly disulphide grease)
Front Wheel nut 63Nm (moly disulphide grease)

kempy
15-05-2017, 08:43 PM
Bottom yoke screw: 20Nm (molybdenum disulphide grease) tighten 1-2-1 sequence
Fork bottom end bolt: 20Nm (moly disulphide grease)
Front Caliper bolts 43Nm (moly disulphide grease)
Front Wheel nut 63Nm (moly disulphide grease)

thank you Slob

i think there is play in the top yoke, any numbers for that?

slob
15-05-2017, 09:10 PM
Steering head retaining screw, centre: 23Nm (moly disulphide grease)
Steering head retaining screws: 24Nm (moly disulphide grease)
Steering bearings ring nut: 30Nm

Bear in mind the bearings need to be correctly adjusted and lubricated, given the age of an 800ie, these may want replacing by now. If you're in any doubt about how to check these, see a competent mechanic or someone who knows their way around a bike.
I can recommend ProTeam near Maidstone who aren't too far from you.

kempy
15-05-2017, 09:23 PM
Steering head retaining screw, centre: 23Nm (moly disulphide grease)
Steering head retaining screws: 24Nm (moly disulphide grease)
Steering bearings ring nut: 30Nm

Bear in mind the bearings need to be correctly adjusted and lubricated, given the age of sn 800ie, these may want replacing by now. If you're in any doubt about how to check these, see a competent mechanic or someone who knows their way around a bike.
I can recommend ProTeam near Maidstone who aren't too far from you.

Cheers, i usually go to Laguna in Ashford but this came up at my local MOT The guys' been doing my cars for years, hes' a biker himself and works on a Ferrari Sportcar European racing team at the weekend so i trust him.

utopia
16-05-2017, 12:02 PM
Bear in mind that the wheel spindle clamp screws require very low torque and, perhaps more importantly a progressive tightening sequence.
Rob suggests 1-2-1, but I would go further and say more like 1-2-1-2-1-2-1.
Uneven tightening has been known to crack the fork bottoms.
I just use a single, short allen key (starting with it the wrong way round, for less leverage) and tighten them by hand only (1-2-1 etc) .. then check with the torque wrench afterwards, being extremely careful not to overtighten.
Arguably, if you have good mechanical "feel" and a reasonable ability to replicate torques manually, its better not to use a torque wrench at all on this particular fixing.

And most, if not all of the fork fixings will require black moly grease on the threads.