PDA

View Full Version : 821 average mpg

Fat Pete
13-05-2017, 08:50 PM
Hi Guys, do any of you 821 owners know how accurate the average mpg reading is on the dash?

Cobra88
14-05-2017, 11:30 AM
Hi Pete

Buy a c90 if your worried about MPG ;).....

I don't think any vehicle can calculate mpg accurately unless it can actually measure fuel passed through the injectors which you can't when excess is returned to the tank via the regulator.

I would expect the reading to be within about 15% of actual so useful as a guide

Never found the need for a fuel gauge of a mpg readout as long as I know how many miles I have done I know almost as accurately how much I have left within probably the same 15% and the fuel light or reserve tap to get to the fuel stop.

Been fine for 36 years of riding :)
Rick

J.P
15-05-2017, 09:27 AM
I found it to be fairly reasonable when I had mine.
If in doubt, use the following.

Petrol Mileage Calculation.
Number of Litres you put in x 0.22 = Gallons.
Mileage covered / Gallons = MPG.

Darkness
15-05-2017, 11:26 AM
I found it to be fairly reasonable when I had mine.
If in doubt, use the following.

Petrol Mileage Calculation.
Number of Litres you put in x 0.22 = Gallons.
Mileage covered / Gallons = MPG.

In the car I tend to use miles per squid instead: just reset the trip each time after filling up and dividing the mileage by the cost of the refill.

That helps keep a perspective of how much it costs to go places.

On the bike I couldn't care less though..........

Dirty
15-05-2017, 01:10 PM
Or use www.fuelly.com/ and compare after a few weeks

Fat Pete
15-05-2017, 06:31 PM
I'm not to bothered about how many miles to the gallon I'm getting, it was more of a query as the number it shows seems to big, which I don't really believe is true. So just thought I'd ask the question.

slob
15-05-2017, 08:19 PM
Unless I'm mistaken (my experience is of various 1200s rather than 821) you still have a low fuel light on the dash, to let you know when things are getting desperate.

Dirty
15-05-2017, 09:26 PM
Fair enough but in the absence of someone who knows answering, if you work out what you are getting manually you could compare that to what it's telling you.
Double bonus, next time someone asks you'll be the someone who knows :)