PDA

View Full Version : BP Garage Chiswick

MerlinPV12
13-05-2017, 12:30 PM
Just FYI for anyone who may use Chiswick BP - they are now enforcing positive discrimination against bikers/anyone on two wheels. After using the garage to fill up my bikes for the past 5yrs they decided to stop my refuel £5 into filling up my BM RT.

A charmless and monosyllabic till operator grunts "helmet off and pay before fuelling next time". There are ways of introducing these sort of things without pissing off your good paying customers, and this wasn't one of them.

In 15 yrs of living in Chiswick and fuelling my cars and bikes at the garage, under all ownership's, I have never seen anyone on two wheels or four drive off without paying. I'm sure it happens, but sledge hammer to crack a nut comes to mind.

While my two cars and two bikes petrol revenue will unlikely be noticed in such a busy garage, the experience will now ensure I look to fill up elsewhere en-route to home, easy enough done.

buzzbomb
13-05-2017, 12:41 PM
Recently I had a similar experience at the BP garage on the St Helens link road the f**kwit on the till refused to switch the pump on until I removed my open face helmet needless to say I left with out fuel, yes there are lots of other fuel stations.

Dirty
13-05-2017, 05:22 PM
My local BP is pay before pump for all vehicles at night, except black cabs :)

Bike based crime is going on down there. A taxi driver had his vehicle smash and grabbed as he was paying a couple of weeks ago.

jerry
13-05-2017, 06:21 PM
its like USA but without the guns ,,,

Dirty
13-05-2017, 06:32 PM
its like USA but without the guns ,,,

No, it's like USA but only the criminals have guns.

Saint aka ML
13-05-2017, 08:35 PM
Do this if he refuses take all hoses off the hook and drive off

Jez900ie
13-05-2017, 09:30 PM
Do this if he refuses take all hoses off the hook and drive off

...laughing...

Dirty
13-05-2017, 10:35 PM
Just wear a balaclava underneath next time you visit. If they ask you to take that off tell them you can't for religious reasons. :)

Cobra88
14-05-2017, 11:35 AM
Exactly like Dirty said
I had a big argument in a Shell station about the same.

I asked what if I'm Wearing a Burka ?
He shut his gob then and took my money........

Not taking my helmet off when I'm waiting to pay

Take my money with helmet on or go without.
Its all on camera and not illegal to keep Helmet on.

Rick

Mr Gazza
14-05-2017, 03:24 PM
Yeah, I was going to mention the Burka too.. And what if you have a balaclava under your helmet?

I think it's fair enough though if there are signs up that politely request helmet removal, but not the foul attitude that Merlin experienced.

I've got into the habit of taking mine off to re-fuel now anyway, just to ease the cashier's anxiety, and because I feel that leaving it on is a bit rude?

I reckon you can't beat those pay-at-the-pump with your card, machines.. :thumbsup:

Saint aka ML
15-05-2017, 08:09 AM
Exactly like Dirty said
I had a big argument in a Shell station about the same.

I asked what if I'm Wearing a Burka ?
He shut his gob then and took my money........

Not taking my helmet off when I'm waiting to pay

Take my money with helmet on or go without.
Its all on camera and not illegal to keep Helmet on.

Rick

It's easy after you filled up but mostly they will not turn it on.

I had a few where I filled up then they said take helmet off to pay.

I looked at him and said you want money for petrol I already have take it or leave it.
They always take it :(

Saint aka ML
15-05-2017, 08:12 AM
Yeah, I was going to mention the Burka too.. And what if you have a balaclava under your helmet?

I think it's fair enough though if there are signs up that politely request helmet removal, but not the foul attitude that Merlin experienced.

I've got into the habit of taking mine off to re-fuel now anyway, just to ease the cashier's anxiety, and because I feel that leaving it on is a bit rude?

I reckon you can't beat those pay-at-the-pump with your card, machines.. :thumbsup:

What if you black and big. You take your lid off, come walking in with a twitch anxiety will be higher then before :)

Above sentence is based on fact that being judgmental against helmet wearing person will trigger same response towards tall, scary looking black guy or der I say it Asian :)

No one ever would be afraid of Icelander though despite them being Vikings......

MerlinPV12
15-05-2017, 08:50 AM
I don't have an issue with taking my helmet off other that its a pain, because I wear glasses, plus the fact its an expensive lid. My gripe is the abruptness at which the change took place and the manner the change was delivered, underscored by the fact that it is unquestionably discrimination. They wouldn't dare do it it to any one wearing headgear for religious reasons. £70 for car and bike easily went to Esso yesterday, without hassle. Small satisfaction.

Note: just received a response to my "tweet" to BP UK. Dont really do tweeting, but thought it worth a go - they say they will follow up on my complaint. I'll update if and when they do.

utopia
15-05-2017, 11:50 AM
I do object to being forced to remove my helmet.
Its a right bloody nuisance, particularly if you then have to do it again at the supermarket down the road.
Like Gazza, I will do it out of politeness on many occasions though, but not if I'm told I must.

My local BP garage seems to have purges every now and then (possibly linked to a change in middle management or a new cashier) when they will insist on removal of helmet before switching the pump on ... but mostly they're ok about it.
When that does happen though, I politely make my objections known and leave without refuelling .. well you need to make a stand sometimes eh ?
Usually, all is back to normal by my next visit. Dunno whether that means the policy has been softened or just that they know me well enough to waive the rule.
But honestly, how much bloody fuel can a motorcyclist nick ? Mostly, my tank will take about £15 worth if I've run it reasonably low. That's hardly the biggest heist since Brinks-Mat is it ?
I object when garages are prepared to treat all their biking customers like petty thieves.

Saint aka ML
15-05-2017, 04:46 PM
I have an objection with taking lid off when I do not have to full stop.

If I want to I will do it.

Went shopping to Waitrosse after work, no place to put lid on and was on bike. Needed few bits of food so no 18+ items.

One hand small basket one hand free to load small basket.
I am told ot take helmet off as that is a law.
I ask which law cause I only know one that makes me wear it, then said you choose I either shop as is or speak to your manager about discrimination.

He what discrimination?

Me Did you see me steeling anything, destroying anything now or in past dressed like this as I was here in past.

He says No to which I say and this is why I want to speak to your manager as you are accusing me of things I did not do based on my looks.

I was left to shop unsupervised :)