PDA

View Full Version : Stuck wheel nut...

jonzi
23-04-2017, 08:12 AM
... On a scooter

I have a vespa engine that is out of the bike, with the rear wheel attached.

I need this wheel off, but the thing is stuck.

I have tried a 2 foot breaker bar, plenty of plus gas and an electric impact drill thing, but it just ain't budging.

What else can I do to get it off please?

damien666
23-04-2017, 08:51 AM
Normal thread and not left hand?
Rattle guns can vary a lot in torque applied. Can you borrow a snap on/ milwaukee quality one?
Heat if you can get some on the nut without damaging bearings etc. One of those induction coils is ideal ( nutbuster), but your not likely to have one lying around!

Mr Gazza
23-04-2017, 09:21 AM
Nut splitter?

https://www.cromwell.co.uk/shop/hand-tools/nut-splitters/1-2-5-8%22-(12-16mm)-size-2-nut-splitter/p/KEN5034160K?utm_campaign=pla-Hand+Tools+-+&utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping-pla&utm_keyword=KEN5034160K&istCompanyId=6aa6787b-063e-4414-802d-129f235df603&istItemId=aqrxmtaxw&istBid=tztx

Remember that you're not allowed to put it in a wheelie bin. But once you have the tyre off, you can weigh it in.

Doggy
23-04-2017, 08:06 PM
Put the nut under pressure with the big breaker bar and then wack the nut with a club hammer to "shock" it loose. Had to do this on one of my MV's in the past.

Dirty
23-04-2017, 11:51 PM
Heat it up then the breaker bar.

Zimbo
24-04-2017, 06:18 AM
Use a longer breaker bar, it's amazing just how much extra torque you can exert with another foot of leverage! Slip a bit of scaffold tube or similar over your existing breaker bar, or buy / borrow a longer one.

rendo
24-04-2017, 09:44 AM
I feel you pain Jonzi, i have a spare vespa engine in a similar position.
if like me your problem is because the engine is not mounted to the frame its difficult to stop the engine moving when you apply force to the nut. These hub nuts are not normally a problem because when the engine is in the bike you can counter it by applying the rear brake and keeping the tyre in contact with the ground.

you may need to find some way to counter the force on the nut, if you can somehow stop the hub turning it would help.

jonzi
24-04-2017, 10:14 AM
I have ordered some PB blaster and an actual impact socket, I am scared the one I am using will shatter and embed metal in my arm every time I try to use it.

I will try again with that, and if that still fails, then ill will chock the wheel against the engine some how.

I read some where about making an F shape with threaded pipe and using that to brace the wheel.

I should have removed it before I stripped the bike. Lesson learnt.

I'l also try to pick up a bit of scaffold bar too.

Cheers all