PDA

View Full Version : Cold wet weather tyres

Kameloil
19-04-2017, 10:58 PM
Been searching the forum for advice and it seems like most of you have an opinion on what works well as a summer tyre. I do low mileage and I'm based in Aberdeen so temperatures are low for a lot of the year, it can be wet too. The original Pirelli Angel STs have only done 5000 miles in 6 years and have worn really well. Yes I ride like me granny is on the back, but at 6 years they need to go.

I'm looking for something for the 696 that will work well on the occasional commute, a weekend ride and a yearly summer tour and more of the cold months. Longevity is irrelevant, I'll never wear them down!

I just put Michelins PS4S on the car and they are incredible compared to the Bridgestones. I had decided on Michelin Pilot Road 4s on the bike, for confidence in dry and wet but maybe you have a better suggestion?? Thanks ;)

SunEye
20-04-2017, 12:49 AM
I have Pilot Sport 4 on my car and Pilot Road 4 on my bike. Couldn't be happier. I have had Pilot Road 2, 3 and 4 on bikes. All have been able to cope well with whatever conditions I have ridden in - torrential rain, 40 degrees to sub zero. The wet weather grip is amazing. They give me so much confidence that I can ride however I want to whatever the conditions without having to worry about what the tyres will do.

utopia
20-04-2017, 12:18 PM
Yep, I like the Michelin Pilot Roads too.
For your riding conditions they sound ideal.
And the double compound means that they last a long while before squaring off.
Only question for me would be .. are the PR3s almost as good as the PR4s but cheaper now they're not the latest version ?
I think they possibly are, so that's what I replaced my PR2s with.

Uncle Bob
20-04-2017, 01:13 PM
I have Pilot Road 4s on my 696. In my opinion they are rather excellent!

Kameloil
20-04-2017, 02:36 PM
Well three in a row is a pattern as far as i'm aware. Thank you gents. Any alternatives?

MrsC_772
22-04-2017, 08:12 AM
I'm on at least my 2nd if not 3rd set of Pilot Road 3s - I commute all year round, tour and go for the odd weekend bimble. I'll probably get the same again or if I can't find them, go for Pilot Road 4s when I have to change them.

Fat Pete
22-04-2017, 01:25 PM
Pilot Road 3, great wet weather tyre loads of grip.

Mr Gazza
22-04-2017, 01:39 PM
You already know what the Angel ST feels like and wears like.
On paper the Angel ST and PR3 are very similar in respect of dry and wet weather performance in all areas.

You will be able to pick up a pair of Angels at a bargain price now they are not the latest model.

They have been superseded by the Angel GT which exceeds the spec of the PR4 for dry weather performance and surprisingly, by quite a bit in wet weather, especially the braking distance!

Some folk say that there is an odd squirmy feeling from the front with PR's and also a theory that the "sipes" pick up shards which lead to punctures.

You probably guessed I'm a Pirelli man?
I REALLY like my new Angel ST pair.. :mand: @ £149.

boris
22-04-2017, 03:52 PM
I have PR 4s on the EVO and they knock the spots off the OEM Pirellis . They inspire confidence, wear well and can certainly deal with what Morayshire and surrounds offer in the way of weather..

Kameloil
27-04-2017, 05:20 PM
Thank you all, very useful.

Took the bike out after winter on an Optimate and it wont turn over. Battery is fine looks like a sticky stator motor. Mechanic wants 4 hours labour ;(

Ultimately I think I need to ride more and spend less!

SteveG
27-04-2017, 07:19 PM
If I were you I'd start a separate thread on your sticky stator to see if you can get a fix from the knowledge base on the forum before parting with 4hrs labour charge...

Darren69
27-04-2017, 07:57 PM
I'm assuming by "stator" you actually mean "starter" Have you checked the solenoid is working ok? It should click when you press the start button. The plug from the start button is often the cause with a poor or loose connection or the connection to the solenoid. in the back of the solenoid is a small white plug, clean that up and try it. If it doesn't work then take the plugs out and the starter should run if you connect the 2 big wires with nuts bolted to the back of it.

Darren69
27-04-2017, 08:01 PM
Basically what I'm suggesting is test the solenoid but if the solenoid is ok then bypass it and if the starter runs ok then the solenoid is the problem. If the starter still doesn't run then it may be a sprag clutch problem. With those though the starter will spin up but not the engine.

Flip
27-04-2017, 08:16 PM
I put a pair of Pilot Road 3's on my 900 after using Pirelli's on the Monster for around fifteen years (not the same pair before 'someone' says :fou:) and I am not a huge fan to be honest.

They slowed the steering down horribly (and the Pirelli's are not renowned for super fast steering), the rear brakes traction less predictably in the wet than the Pirelli's and to me don't feel particularly nice braking moderately hard in the wet either.

Apart from the effects to the steering they remind me of the old Hi-Sports that came on my old GSX-R which made it a liability to ride in the wet but was transformed when I went to Metzeler who use(d) the same carcass as Pirelli- go figure.

The PR3's dry performance can't be faulted but nor could the Pirelli's they've replaced which were once the Desmo Due control tyre.

The worst part (or best if you like them) is that they seem to be lasting ages!!

Flip
27-04-2017, 08:23 PM
Oh yes, I would agree- four hours labour is rather a lot to test a starter circuit when there is only four or so things to check initially and fairly basic tools (except maybe for a Multi Meter which every tool box should have) required to do it.

1 Battery & Grounds (Earth)
2 Starter & Kill switch
3 Solenoid
4 Starter Motor

Start a new thread- you'll be surprised and think how good you'll feel at having fixed and bonded with your bike !!

LCjohnny-again
01-05-2017, 10:49 PM
sorry guys - back to tyres

I have loved Pilot Roads 1 & 2 on other bikes but the PR3 were not so confident so I have gone to Metzeler Roadtec01 on my 1200s

Only done 70 miles but the profile is sweet it rolls into bends (and back out) so smooth and light, steers nice and precise around road-**** and potholes
Feels much more accurate and controllable than the Diablo Rosso. Also no difference in road-feel on wet roads when we hit a cloudburst (bloody April!).

The road seems bumpier so i think the sidewalls may be stiffer - lets see how they go