PDA

View Full Version : Mirror Obsessions?

Darren69
19-04-2017, 08:28 PM
I realise there are some new members posting so you'll have to excuse the rant, but what is the obsession with mirrors? I just don't "get it" ?

Even if you do get mirrors fitted to your monster that both look ok and give you a clear view of the road and what's going on behind you (and good luck with that btw) do you still actually look?

In town you have to be like an owl anyway, and have eyes the the back of your head, because there's always some idiot (cyclist/pedestrian/4WD moron/van driver) on the phone or trying to crash into you.

I just don't see the point unless you ride dual carriageways and motorways a lot where traffic can be approaching at high speed which you might not see easily. I always turn and look behind at least twice anyway just before pulling out (lifesaver).

damien666
19-04-2017, 09:47 PM
Moved to ' mirrors for sale' section....
:-)

bigredduke
19-04-2017, 09:49 PM
I always turn and look behind at least twice anyway just before pulling out (lifesaver).

Is that in case the boyfriend/husband/father has crept up on you silently?:look:

Ursa
20-04-2017, 01:51 AM
Having ridden a Lambretta for years with no mirrors, I still find mine a bit of a novelty, I certainly wouldn't rely on them.

Uncle Bob
20-04-2017, 08:24 AM
Can you not rely on your eyes though?

I suppose the question is: Do you have eyes in the back of your head? If you don't, and unless you're from East Anglia* then I expect you don't, then how else are you supposed to see what's going on behind you?

As with driving a car, it's much safer to know what's happening all around you rather than just the 'front' 180 degrees. And how will you know, for example, if an ambulance is closing in on you at speed? Or if Officer Dibble is right behind you? Yes, I live in an area that has lots of dual carriageways, but I still use the mirrors regardless of where I am.

Mirrors aren't there to give you the same visibility from behind as you get in front, but in my view (pun intended) having them and using them is better than not having them or not using them.

*Other shallow gene pool areas are available.

utopia
20-04-2017, 11:42 AM
I like at least one mirror, preferably two on a bike for the open road.
I almost never rely on them but I do use them frequently so that I always have a general picture of what's going on behind me.
Ok, any bike is going to be quicker than most of the other traffic, which is mostly going to be receding in your mirror and therefore irrelevant .. but a significant minority of it isn't.
I like to have some idea of whether anything is approaching from behind so that I can adjust my road position and behaviour accordingly.
For instance, if the hot hatch full of youths that you passed on acceleration from the last roundabout has had its neck wrung to stay with you down the bypass and is going to try a hero move to get past you at the next roundabout, I like to know well in advance .. and if you glance behind it just encourages them.
Similarly, on a minor road, I like to spot the gaggle of sunday racers aiming to cut you up on the entrance to the approaching esses, and allow them to pass beforehand (or beat them to it, as appropriate) rather than being shocked as they flash past, knees waving, just as you've committed to a line.
And other general awareness stuff like that.

Around town, on the thumper with its upright position and wide bars, its easier to physically look behind, so I need less mirrorage.
I still like a single small one on the throttle side though .. because you need to be able to discretely check that the police car you've just passed hasn't followed you.

There's no doubt that most std, long stalk mirrors are as ugly as sin and need replacing with something.
I don't quite get the thing about fitting over-styled, bling mirrors though .. they just need to be simple, effective and as minimal as possible in my opinion.
But I wouldn't be without them.
Why limit your awareness (a crucial element of biking) for the sake of not carrying a small mirror ?
I even occasionally use mine for a quick check that my luggage is still securely attached and nothing is flapping.

Actually I now recall that they're also very useful when riding in a group.
It makes it much easier to keep an eye on whether the following rider is getting left behind.

Dukedesmo
20-04-2017, 12:03 PM
For instance, if the hot hatch full of youths that you passed on acceleration from the last roundabout has had its neck wrung to stay with you down the bypass and is going to try a hero move to get past you at the next roundabout, I like to know well in advance ..

Indeed, last week I was leisurely passing a few cars as you do and one youth in a souped-up Focus who had been previously sitting in traffic obviously took exception to this.

After I had pulled in a few cars ahead to let oncoming traffic pass, I went for the next overtake and suddenly Barry-boy was right behind me, trying to overtake me as I was overtaking another car.

Even with mirrors he took me a bit by surprise (I din't think Focuses were that fast?) and because I was 'only' in 4th gear which was plenty for the overtake rather than 3rd for the overwhelming 'ASBO' overtake I wasn't getting away from him as quickly as I would have liked.

I didn't want to race him (must be getting old?) so let him get on with it but by then he'd got the red mist and was making the most outrageously dangerous overtakes in front on a narrow road with blind bends.

Point being I find mirrors useful, except for the ones on the 916 which are about as much use as a chocolate teapot... :rolleyes:

Uncle Bob
20-04-2017, 01:02 PM
I din't think Focuses were that fast?

My other bike is a Focus, so I can confirm that yes, they are! Not all of them, of course.

Darkness
20-04-2017, 01:12 PM
I suppose the question is: Do you have eyes in the back of your head? If you don't, and unless you're from East Anglia* .....

*Other shallow gene pool areas are available.

I had assumed that 'the boyfriend/husband/father' were three individual and separate people, but then I'm not from East Anglia, nor the Isle of Wight.....:freak::freak:

Dukedesmo
20-04-2017, 01:28 PM
My other bike is a Focus, so I can confirm that yes, they are! Not all of them, of course.

It was a Focus ST which I understand is the hot version. Next time I see one, I'll go for the full-on ASBO approach... :biggrin:

Darren69
20-04-2017, 02:06 PM
Whilst I agree that mirrors do have there practical uses and I agree that my riding has probably had to make concessions to not having any. IMO they either look great but have no practical use, or are hideous things looking like an afterthought. My 748 ones are in a box somewhere. Couldn't see any use for them other than to look good and stop me getting the bike in my alley way without taking them off, which soon became a chore.

And I will not tarnish my monster with any such useless bling or ugly carbuncle appendages.

I did fit nice chrome retro looking one to my Laverda Mirage, but the vibrations killed it and the glass dropped out! :)

I dunno I guess me and mirrors don't get on so well. Maybe I should move to East Anglia and grow eyes in the back of my head?

Yorkie
20-04-2017, 02:28 PM
Only my 916 has mirrors on it the remainder of the bikes are mirror-less. I think to run a bike without mirrors it has to be a single seat version (for an MOT pass).

I didn't like the original ones on the Monster and I got bored of the bar-end jobbies.

Yorkie

Uncle Bob
20-04-2017, 02:30 PM
It was a Focus ST which I understand is the hot version. Next time I see one, I'll go for the full-on ASBO approach... :biggrin:

Yes, that's the 'hot' version (which I've got) although the new RS is next level, with 350bhp and 4WD, in which case with an M900 I probably wouldn't bother going there at all mate, ASBO or otherwise!

Shame that certain types of car attract a certain type of driver really, but that's life I suppose.

slob
20-04-2017, 02:44 PM
I love my mirrors, I always like to check my elbows look good when I'm away from home

emzedder
20-04-2017, 06:41 PM
I don't have mirrors on any of my bikes - modern or old - for years. Always open face with excellent visibility and supple neck muscles by choice! Not for everyone though.

Mark64
26-05-2017, 06:51 PM
I have a pair of M1100 (replica) mirrors on my monster with short mirror extenders and they give an excellent view (no elbows) but I always do a 'lifesaver' every time

Cobra88
28-05-2017, 07:38 PM
Being from "East Anglia" is far better than living in the city of a million roundabouts.

Cheeky bugger

MartinW
08-06-2017, 03:26 PM
I use my mirrors a lot to be fair although I do find the standard 821 mirrors a bit pants, most of what you see are your own elbows.

I do fancy giving a set of the bar end mirrors a bash. Anyone use them?

CarloL
08-06-2017, 03:36 PM
I just swapped to bar end mirrors , they are alot better than standard , no more looking at my elbows, downside is filtering in traffic as you bike is that bit wider

Life saver when changing lanes , mirrors for a glance to see whats behind you and or over taking

Dukedesmo
08-06-2017, 05:25 PM
I do fancy giving a set of the bar end mirrors a bash. Anyone use them?

I have CRG 'lanesplitter' bar-end mirrors and although small the rear view is very good plus they fold in to make the bike narrower if required and to stop the mirrors getting damaged if they hit anything.

They fold like car mirrors - i.e. they return back to the 'set' postion.

out;

https://www.ducatiforum.co.uk/data/photos/l/6/6525-1452720814-6291546574a1c7603fe8e543b688ee37.jpg

in;

https://www.ducatiforum.co.uk/data/photos/l/5/5022-1422050199-95ff448db9453b0f1f2689c6cb387304.jpg