PDA

View Full Version : Termignoni cans

Doggy
06-04-2017, 08:11 PM
Hi folks newbie here.
I bought a used 796 this week and it's got termi cans on it. They don't have the baffles and they are bloody loud !. Does anybody know the baffle size I need to get and where's a good place to buy them from?.

The bike seems a bit fluffy and hunts on a constant throttle upto 4k revs and seems to run better after that. Perhaps the baffles may help smooth it out?

Thanks
Colin

Ron1000
06-04-2017, 08:50 PM
Try desmoworld. They have lots of different types of baffles you should be able to find the correct ones.

Doggy
06-04-2017, 09:00 PM
Try desmoworld. They have lots of different types of baffles you should be able to find the correct ones.

Thanks. Just been on there website and my German isn't that great! .
I tried measuring the can and it looks about 49/50mm so a 48mm baffle maybe?.
I wonder if the legal look 3 would take the edge enough off the noise?

Luddite
06-04-2017, 09:12 PM
Hi Colin

I think these are what you're looking for...

http://www.carbon4us.com/en/696-796-1100/4870-termignoni-monster-696796-and-1100-db-killer.html

I've bought from these people before and they deliver pretty quickly, despite being based in Spain. These aren't cheap (price is for one only) but this seems to be about the going rate for genuine Termi baffles.

I've got a pair of the Desmoworld legal look baffles in the Evo and in volume they're about halfway between fully baffled and fully open - fruity but not offensive.

As far as your rough low speed running is concerned, this could be caused by a number of things. As standard, I think the 796, (like my 1100 Evo), has a butterfly exhaust valve to pass noise tests plus lambda sensors for emissions. Both these things screw up the low speed fuelling and the fact that it also has a lightweight flywheel doesn't help either.

The full Termi kit would have come with a revised ECU and performance air filter. Do you know if you've got those? If the welcome message on your dash reads "M796 ABS DP" then you've got the Ducati Performance ECU. That should have disabled the exhaust valve and perhaps the lambdas as well. I'm not too sure so perhaps another 796 owner could clarify this.

Even if you have a DP ECU, consider having it remapped by Neil at Cornerspeed as you will notice a marked improvement in smoothness.

Have a look here for tips on smooth running (it's about my Evo but the principles are the same). Something as simple as lowering the gearing can help significantly.

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=54450

Luddite
06-04-2017, 09:30 PM
PS if you're unsure about the correct size, drop Chris an email (in English) at info@desmoworld.com and ask for his advice. I'm sure they must have tried them on some Termis.

I've always found them very helpful and quick to respond.

Dirty
07-04-2017, 11:09 AM
Nothing wrong with loud. Own it :)

Doggy
07-04-2017, 04:39 PM
Hi Colin

I think these are what you're looking for...

http://www.carbon4us.com/en/696-796-1100/4870-termignoni-monster-696796-and-1100-db-killer.html

I've bought from these people before and they deliver pretty quickly, despite being based in Spain. These aren't cheap (price is for one only) but this seems to be about the going rate for genuine Termi baffles.

I've got a pair of the Desmoworld legal look baffles in the Evo and in volume they're about halfway between fully baffled and fully open - fruity but not offensive.

As far as your rough low speed running is concerned, this could be caused by a number of things. As standard, I think the 796, (like my 1100 Evo), has a butterfly exhaust valve to pass noise tests plus lambda sensors for emissions. Both these things screw up the low speed fuelling and the fact that it also has a lightweight flywheel doesn't help either.

The full Termi kit would have come with a revised ECU and performance air filter. Do you know if you've got those? If the welcome message on your dash reads "M796 ABS DP" then you've got the Ducati Performance ECU. That should have disabled the exhaust valve and perhaps the lambdas as well. I'm not too sure so perhaps another 796 owner could clarify this.

Even if you have a DP ECU, consider having it remapped by Neil at Cornerspeed as you will notice a marked improvement in smoothness.

Have a look here for tips on smooth running (it's about my Evo but the principles are the same). Something as simple as lowering the gearing can help significantly.

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=54450

Great info and interesting reading! .

Yes when I turn on the bike it reads 796 monster DP so it has the correct ecu in it then . I can't believe how bad it feels, chug, lurch, pop, fart .

serves me right for buying a bike unseen I suppose......

Darren69
07-04-2017, 05:20 PM
They all do that, but the 796 and 1100 are worse than most, so I've heard. Try to keep it running over 3k rpm but its an easy fix, get it remapped. Neil at Cornerspeed, should have a better map for you. He used to own a 796 with Termis so I'm sure he will have something better.

Luddite
07-04-2017, 05:27 PM
Don't worry Colin. My 1100 Evo did the "...chug, lurch, pop, fart..." thing too, but it is fixable.

I think the 796 final drive is the same as the Evo, i.e. 15/39 so consider lowering the gearing. It's quick and cheap if you go for a smaller front sprocket. OK, so it's only masking the problem by moving it to a different road speed, but it does make it easier to ride round town and at low speed.

I'd definitely recommend speaking to Neil at Cornerspeed about a remap. He can do it by post so it's hassle-free. He also stocks Termignoni systems so you could also ask him about replacement baffles.

Doggy
07-04-2017, 06:14 PM
Don't worry Colin. My 1100 Evo did the "...chug, lurch, pop, fart..." thing too, but it is fixable.

I think the 796 final drive is the same as the Evo, i.e. 15/39 so consider lowering the gearing. It's quick and cheap if you go for a smaller front sprocket. OK, so it's only masking the problem by moving it to a different road speed, but it does make it easier to ride round town and at low speed.

I'd definitely recommend speaking to Neil at Cornerspeed about a remap. He can do it by post so it's hassle-free. He also stocks Termignoni systems so you could also ask him about replacement baffles.

Quality forum this!!

I think I may go with the desmoworld DB legal look 3's if I can determine the right size to order .
Been reading about the 14T sprocket mod and it sounds like it's worth doing .
Also been reading about the o2 sensor bypass plugs . It's all on the list of stuff to do .

chris.p
07-04-2017, 06:48 PM
Quality forum this!!

I think I may go with the desmoworld DB legal look 3's if I can determine the right size to order .
Been reading about the 14T sprocket mod and it sounds like it's worth doing .
Also been reading about the o2 sensor bypass plugs . It's all on the list of stuff to do .

I would go with a remap from Neil at Cornerspeed rather than using the o2 eliminaters, it will also clean up the fueling and make for better pick up and low speed running.

http://cornerspeed.co.uk

Doggy
07-04-2017, 06:57 PM
OK Thanks . That seems like the way forward then . What's a rough idea of price? Skint at the moment as bought the bike, taxed and insured it all this month!

Darren69
07-04-2017, 07:10 PM
Isn't it about a hundred and something for the post thing? He did mine on the dyno so it was a bit more. Neil should be around at the shop usually on Sat morning until midday but if he's in the dyno or running an engine in the shop he probably won't hear the phone, so keep trying him.

Luddite
07-04-2017, 07:14 PM
By the way Colin. Were you given the original ECU when you bought the bike? If so, you could remap the original and then sell the DP one on ebay to offset the cost of the remap, which, for my bike was about £230 including postage.

Note that, if you do go for the remap, then you won't need the O2 eliminators as the remap disables them and they can be removed completely. Either way, you'll need a couple of blanking plugs, which are M18 x 1.5 I think.

Doggy
07-04-2017, 07:22 PM
Thanks once again for all the helpful information .
No, I didn't get the original ecu .
I need to get the tank covers and tank off to connect my garmin satnav sometime soon, so if I get the ecu done it will be then .

Jez900ie
07-04-2017, 07:36 PM
**Offtopic**
Which Garmin do you have? Would you recommend it?

Doggy
07-04-2017, 08:01 PM
**Offtopic**
Which Garmin do you have? Would you recommend it?

It's a Garmin 350 LM . I've had it four years . It's been fantastic! .
Used it on four european roadtrips on my '05 600 hornet which has been sold to buy the monster .

Used in Spain, Austria, Germany, Switzerland etc etc . 100% reliable, even in rain too hard to ride in .
Will be using it on the Duc on a weeks trip around Scotland this year .

The battery last a few hours on it's own, so I have a ball on my mv and use it on that if on a day out .
Highly recomended .

Mate has a newer version which has curvy routes, we chose that option in spain last year for a couple of days and it was amazing the routes it took us on, well worth it!.

Luddite
07-04-2017, 08:07 PM
Here's a tip Colin. When you replace the two little allen screws by your knees, make sure you use some threadlock as they have a habit of falling out as I found to my cost! (The replacements I got came with preapplied threadlock.)

Doggy
07-04-2017, 08:10 PM
Here's a tip Colin. When you replace the two little allen screws by your knees, make sure you use some threadlock as they have a habit of falling out as I found to my cost! (The replacements I got came with preapplied threadlock.)

Cool :):idea:

Jez900ie
07-04-2017, 08:22 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I have been looking at the 590 curvy route edition but at 200+ more than one like yours, I'm not convinced!

Doggy
09-04-2017, 06:56 PM
Had a decent ride on it today and it rode totally different. Hardly any surging and spluttering and popping and farming.
When I bought the bike it had done 163 miles in 12 months. I've done more now in two rides. Perhaps some fresh petrol and a thrashing was what it needed to clear it out a bit?
Will still consider a remap and 14t sprocket, but it was a night and day difference today. I thought I had made a bit of a boo boo buying it but am starting to fall for it already....

Luddite
09-04-2017, 07:37 PM
Good news!

Old petrol could well have been your problem. Fuel will degrade after just a few months and the situation would be worse if it contained ethanol as it would probably have absorbed water from the atmosphere.

Glad you're starting to enjoy it anyway. It gets even better with a good remap too!