PDA

View Full Version : What-a Luigi left-a in-a da fuel tank!

Kentgent
05-04-2017, 07:23 AM
My 695 sprung a slow leak from the tank over winter and was seeping fuel from the fuel pump o-ring....... helpfully also dissolving the paint finish on top of the engine.....(nice job for the summer....

After a bit of research and a chat with the nice gents down at Proteam they gave me a contact (The equally friendly and helpful Craig at Motorapido) to obtain the upgraded X ring seal, which was an easy job and delivered for about £ 19 (Genuine Ducati part)

Anyhow, tank off and drained I set about taking the fuel pump out and replacing the seal.....and what do I find floating about in the fuel tank? A piece of plastic/PVC roughly the same size as the filler cap (or possibly the hole for the fuel pump) and sprayed the same colour as the bike - I'm guessing this would have been over the filler hole during spraying........and I guess it was cut out and left to fall into the tank....... not sure whether this is standard practise, but can't be good to have a piece of plastic floating around in the tank and possibly fouling the fuel pump surely?!?!
Maybe it was-a da Friday afternoon and Luigi was off-a to da pub ! :running: :fou::Furious:

http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg545/Kentgent/IMG_4982_zpshcyconua.jpg

http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg545/Kentgent/IMG_4981_zpso1mpesky.jpg

http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg545/Kentgent/IMG_4987_zpslnvvuuuo.jpg

http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg545/Kentgent/IMG_4988_zpsvhv2vqk6.jpg

Nasher
05-04-2017, 07:59 AM
That's a little shocking, but I'd imagine more common than we'd like to think.

On the other hand I'm impressed at how well it's survived being in contact with fuel for so long.
Most plastics used for masking would have melted into a sticky mess that would have blocked the filter.

Nasher.

slob
05-04-2017, 08:06 AM
The bubbling paint on the head looks like a battery acid leak under the fuel stains :-O

Kentgent
05-04-2017, 08:25 AM
That's what I thought Nasher.....but it obviously hadn't seen the light of day since manufacture in 2007.....I guess Italian plastic survives fuel corrosion well - shame they don't make the tanks out of the same material!! lol :D

Slob my initial thoughts were battery acid, but there was no battery leakage and the battery tray was absolutely spotless......The paint finish was ok before I wrapped her up for winter, it's the fuel that caused the paint stripper effect you see in the pic.....I guess I should stop putting Tesco fuel in it :D

Fuzzy
05-04-2017, 08:46 PM
That's what I thought Nasher.....but it obviously hadn't seen the light of day since manufacture in 2007.....I guess Italian plastic survives fuel corrosion well - shame they don't make the tanks out of the same material!! lol :D

Slob my initial thoughts were battery acid, but there was no battery leakage and the battery tray was absolutely spotless......The paint finish was ok before I wrapped her up for winter, it's the fuel that caused the paint stripper effect you see in the pic.....I guess I should stop putting Tesco fuel in it :D

Aha try Morrisons fuel... mines running like a freaking rabbit at the minute. Can't wait to get the 300 back in the road, give the monster a bit of a break... week after next it'll be sat at 7000 miles on a bike that's not even a year old yet... massively happy with... be even happier end of the week when the warranty works been sorted. (Electrics)

by the way if you're looking for a decent chain and sprocket for your bike have a look at the trofeo chains. Made by a subsidiary of DID using Afam Alloy sprockets brilliant quality stuff.

Back on topic though I'm impressed the plastic held up so well in the fuel 👍🏻 Glad you're getting the leak fixed 😁

Kentgent
07-04-2017, 09:38 PM
Hi Fuzzy, thanks for the tip about the chain and sprocket will look into it when due.

I guess at 7000 miles in a year you must like it - mine has just gone over 10K and its 9 years old this year ! However I have only owned it for 1......so its going to go up now the sun is here :mand:

When you say going like a rabbit, they tend to hop a lot....how do you manage to hold on ? :banghead: :mand: