PDA

View Full Version : pirelli tyres

Evostu
17-03-2017, 12:17 PM
Hello fellow monsteronians (if there isn't such a word there is now)..question about tyre choice...I have a M 100 EVO which is presently shod in pirelli diablo rosso 2s. ..back is starting to square off but front is still good...was just wondering if anyone has tried a rosso 3 rear with rosso 2 front..according to pirelli they won't say other than always fit matched pair...so any feedback would be most appreciated. ..cheers lads and lassies

Ron1000
17-03-2017, 12:38 PM
I had the same issue. I took hit and fitted a matched pair and took the opportunity to bail on the 2's to metzeler m7rr's. Defo better. But I've heard the 3's are even better again

Darren69
17-03-2017, 01:10 PM
Rosso 3's are great dry weather tyres, very sticky and seem to last reasonably well too, but lack enough tread to inspire confidence in the wet. I'm sure they're fine but as I'm pretty much a fair weather rider these days I couldn't say.

Mr Gazza
17-03-2017, 01:42 PM
Darren is right. Sports or "Summer" tyres count for nothing when it's wet.

I always use all weather tyres.
This year I'm trying a pair of Pirelli Angels as my mate swears by them on his Hayabusa.

Check this deal out. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120-70-17-58W-190-55-17-75W-Pirelli-ANGEL-ST-Motorcycle-Motorbike-Tyres-PAIR-/311811977352?hash=item4899713088:g:7iAAAOSw2gxYyV5 c

With apparently cheap tyres on ebay you need to ask the seller for the date stamp on the tyres that you will receive, as they often sell off old stock in this way.
There will be 4 digits in the code. First two digits is the week no. second two is the year, so.
3616 will be week 36 of 2016.

You should not use a motorcycle tyre after it is 5 years old, so check that you will have them worn out no more than 5 years after the date code.

I bought a pair of these cheapies that were 14 months old.... No worries.

Dukedesmo
17-03-2017, 02:51 PM
I've got a Rosso 3 rear with a Rosso 2 front on my 916, works fine but I've only done about 60-70 miles on them so far.

I've got a Rosso 2 front with an Angel ST rear on the Monster because when the rear Rosso 2 wore out after 2000 miles I wanted something with a bit more life in it, again that combo works fine.

I've yet to see if the Rosso 3 lasts better than the 2 but even the Rosso 2 last reasonably well on the 916 anyway, it's just the Monster that munches them up.

I don't worry about matching tyres anymore, I really don't think it's an issue for normal road riding - maybe a top level rider on track might notice differing profiles/grip levels between front/rear? but I doubt it...

Evostu
17-03-2017, 04:02 PM
Thanks for the input guys,never had Pirelli s before so all info is most welcome

Dirty
17-03-2017, 04:24 PM
Why you shouldn't run on old tyres

http://www.thedrive.com/opinion/5189/the-truth-behind-what-caused-paul-walkers-fatal-crash

jerry
17-03-2017, 05:06 PM
I have Mixhelin PR3 on my S4 very good had Pirelli Rosso corse 2s great in the dry ,,on my M750 and 750ss i use dunlop q2s cheap but great in the dry and OK in the wet if you dont go mad

Darren69
17-03-2017, 06:54 PM
The Rosso Corsa III's have even less tread than the II's !!! Both seem to suit the bike really well though. I've got Corsa II's on my 748 too and they suit that well too. Had Bridgestones before on that and didn't like them much but the front was a different steeper profile which made it feel like the front was tucking, not so good. It was only when it was suggested I fit the standard profile front it made a big difference.

The Bridgestones were fitted by the place I bought the bike from originally and when I said I wanted new tyres before I bought it, so they probably just fitted the cheapest of whatever they had. Bridgestones were certainly the cheapest option at that time.

Fuzzy
18-03-2017, 01:22 AM
I know you're asking about the pirellis but before I fit a set of Rossi 2/3 again after looking at how they wore I'd look at Metzeler m5 interacts if you want an outright sports tyre that works well in all conditions including snow or their Road Tech 01... failing that I've fitted a pair of Michelin Pilot Road 4 to my 821 and the bike feels much nicer on them... only issue I'm having if it is an issue is the traction control seems to be kicking in a fair bit at the moment.. need to either dial it in or turn it off as the flashing light on the dash is getting on my nerves... it's only flashing changing gear so I doubt it's actually breaking traction