PDA

View Full Version : Hi

redroadster
16-03-2017, 08:24 PM
Hi, recently bought a 2003 S4, my first Ducati, needs some repair work on the engine so will probably be asking plenty of questions!

Cheers Mike

Albie
16-03-2017, 08:45 PM
It's the s4 bike night tonight. Very good engines generally What things are you thinking wrong with it My only failure in six years was when I sold it regulator went. Keep your eye on lower front cylinder spark plug coil pack as water can rot the metal out.
Prepare for plumbing jokes too but welcome to UKMOC

redroadster
16-03-2017, 09:01 PM
The gear on the crankshaft which drives the camshaft gear has lost 2 teeth. Bike has only done 12k and has been partly stripped. I have tried to upload a pic but it won't me

Darren69
16-03-2017, 09:05 PM
Rear coil went on mine, I think because as standard, with no oil cooler and little air flow to rear pot, it gets too hot. Now sorted with S4R oil cooler and side air scoops. Oil cooler is said to drop running temp by as much as 15% which it appears to do. Temp rockets down now when on the move. Happy days!

Darren69
16-03-2017, 09:15 PM
If the side cover is off already then half the battle is already won but I've no idea how you remove the gears or more importantly why it shed its teeth in the first place. They are generally reliable engines esp lower end. I assume you've got the missing teeth and they're not still rattling around in the crankcase somewhere?

You shouldn't need to remove the engine I don't think so all you need is a solid base to work from. An ABBA stand eith the right adapters will act like a centre stand and hold the bike steady.

J.P
17-03-2017, 08:19 AM
Hi Redroaster. welcome to the forum.
More than enough knowledge on this site to help you our