PDA

View Full Version : Monster hugger - any!

norvin998
08-03-2017, 01:57 PM
I've got an M900Sie with an OE carbon hugger which extends below the swinger. I'm fooling about with a centre stand kit & its obvious it won't fit with the extension so I'm wondering if a std "short" hugger from another M will fit?

The Sie has an alloy swinger so that may be significant? If anyone has a std plastic hugger lying about after a carbon upgrade I'd be happy to buy it & see....or if anyone knows which Duc model the alloy swinger was originally fitted to I could look for one from that model.

Thanks
Mike

Darkness
08-03-2017, 02:05 PM
It may be worth posting a photo of your swing arm, and particularly the hugger fixings?
At first, the M900 used the alloy swing arm from the 888. This had vertical tags welded to the arm for the hugger to sit against and bolt to.
In late 94/95 the M900 kept an alloy swing arm, but the hugger fixings changed to vertical bolts into rivnuts in the top face of the arm.
Thinking about it, a big change with the Sie was the introduction of the single vertical link rod in the rear suspension in place of the double arm "wishbone".
Take a look at the Stein Dinse website as that lists options and gives pictures and prices too.

Nik1701
08-03-2017, 02:06 PM
Hi mike,
On my 900sie the lower part of the hugger screws under the swingarm & can be removed.
I recently fitted a new one on mine, so removing it is no issue & you can keep your carbon hugger.
I think the swing arm is the same on the 851 & 888.

Dirty
08-03-2017, 04:06 PM
I've got an old plastic hugger but it's for the wishbone type suspension

norvin998
08-03-2017, 05:08 PM
Hi mike,
On my 900sie the lower part of the hugger screws under the swingarm & can be removed.
I recently fitted a new one on mine, so removing it is no issue & you can keep your carbon hugger.
I think the swing arm is the same on the 851 & 888.

Thats good news! I've not looked closely yet & assumed the fixings on the top (into rivnuts) were the only ones & the thing was in one piece. Will crawl under it tomorrow & see what greets me. Luckily it was well kept previously & the top fixings have signs of the blessed Copperslip.....hope that extends to all of them.

Thanks for the advice.
Mike

Darren69
08-03-2017, 05:39 PM
Yes. its 2 parts and the lower part is unique to the 900Sie as far as I know. I think the 851/888 swingarm with the vertical mounting tabs predates most monsters (maybe some early ones have it) and certainly by the time of the Sie I'm pretty sure they were rivnuts.

Later 888's may have had the rivnut type (Depends on what year they switched which I don't know off hand.)

Darkness
08-03-2017, 05:55 PM
I think the 851/888 swingarm with the vertical mounting tabs predates most monsters (maybe some early ones have it) and certainly by the time of the Sie I'm pretty sure they were rivnuts.

Darren, my May '93 and Feb '94 M900s have both got the 888 type huggers with tabs: they seem to have changed later in '94, probably when the '95 models were released? I'll send a photo' if that helps?

Nor in: A photo' of the swing arm would be useful to avoid speculating what's fitted at the moment as it isn't necessarily what it came out of the factory wearing.

norvin998
08-03-2017, 09:15 PM
Norvin: A photo' of the swing arm would be useful to avoid speculating what's fitted at the moment as it isn't necessarily what it came out of the factory wearing.

The bike is more or less std bar the usual Termis, Oberon bits etc which tend to be accumulated over 16 years. The 900S came with an alloy swinger so I doubt it'll have been changed for a different version. I'll be having a good look tomorrow & will see if that lower section can be removed separately from the top.

A bit of a disappointment this evening when I looked at the bar fairing. It had a good cob of paint missing where it had been hit by a flying half-brick flung up from between the rear twin wheels of a lorry some time ago. I thought my usual dauber could blow in a repair but on closer inspection there is a crack right through the body of it. What chance finding a black & silver 900Sie bar fairing?

utopia
09-03-2017, 12:29 AM
What chance finding a black & silver 900Sie bar fairing?

Dunno .. but you'd probably have less trouble finding a carbon one.
If that would constitute an acceptable "mismatch" to your eye.

Darren69
09-03-2017, 04:45 AM
Fairing cowls pop up on ebay from time to time, but they seem to fetch good money. The later shape are more common but the silver and black is one of the rarer colours though. Can it not be repaired, plastic welded?

norvin998
09-03-2017, 07:19 AM
The later shape are more common but the silver and black is one of the rarer colours though. Can it not be repaired, plastic welded?

I'm not sure what its made of to be honest. It doesnt look like fibreglass & the crack going right through makes me think its some sort of plastic molding. Probably best to put it to one side until the point that its worth getting the rest of the paintwork redone - two colours to match and a repair on such a small item would hardly be worth the paint shop doing & work out rather expensive.

Maybe a carbon replacement is the answer - lots of it all over the bike as std so wouldn't look out of place.

utopia
09-03-2017, 11:42 AM
My bike used to be orange.
Belly pan went carbon first, then seat cowl followed by front mudguard.
Then I replaced the tank with a blue one and had no colour matching to do whatsoever.
She's blue now, and staying that way (even though I now have a carbon tank waiting to go on too).
I'm not particularly a carbon addict, but it is a handy way of avoiding a respray.

Note that there are early (more rounded) and later styles of fairing .. and I believe the fittings are very different for each.
Also, I think it is possible to get the later type in particular in a couple of different heights (both the main fairing section and the clear screen too) so you could try something either a tad taller or shorter than existing, if you felt so inclined.

I presume you're aware of the trick of drilling a small hole at or just beyond the end/s of the crack to prevent it spreading.
You could do worse than skin the back with fibreglass I suppose.
If you need a little bit of twill weave glass cloth to do this, give me a shout.
You could perhaps avoid repainting altogether this way ?

Dukedesmo
09-03-2017, 03:09 PM
Maybe a carbon replacement is the answer - lots of it all over the bike as std so wouldn't look out of place.

Carbon is nice and much more readily available as aftermarket product, plus you can always paint it...

norvin998
09-03-2017, 07:07 PM
Carbon is nice and much more readily available as aftermarket product, plus you can always paint it...

I found these guys today & it looks like a buyer...

https://www.zero-limits.co.uk/product/33883/ducati-monster-95-07-bikini-fairing

Not mega expensive & should blend in with the rest of the bike.

Back to the hugger....the bottom section did detach & after plugging the 3 fixing holes with some SS allens & coppaslip I got on with fitting the used centre stand kit I found on US ebay.

Not the easiest of jobs given there are spacers everywhere already from when the high level Termis were fitted. The footrest plates were moved out by about 10mm to clear the pipes. With some juggling & a couple of additional thick washers its on & working.

The 900Sie has an additional problem to overcome with the floating rear caliper torque stay. Its in the way! If anyone is interested I'll post some pix in the "mods" section.

Cheers
Mike

Mr Gazza
09-03-2017, 08:24 PM
Yes. I'm interested in some photos, and how you overcame the torque rod... Hope it wasn't just fitting a fixed calliper!

I am loathe to remove the under guard on mine as it one of those bits that make it an Sie.
Thinking out loud as it were, I wonder if some sort of guard resembling the Sie one, could be attached to the brace of the stand?

Also interested to hear if you had to drill out, or remove the threaded insert in the right hand end of the crankcase through hole?.. The one that takes the wire guide for the breather pipes.

norvin998
09-03-2017, 09:51 PM
Yes. I'm interested in some photos, and how you overcame the torque rod... Hope it wasn't just fitting a fixed calliper!

I am loathe to remove the under guard on mine as it one of those bits that make it an Sie.
Thinking out loud as it were, I wonder if some sort of guard resembling the Sie one, could be attached to the brace of the stand?

Also interested to hear if you had to drill out, or remove the threaded insert in the right hand end of the crankcase through hole?.. The one that takes the wire guide for the breather pipes.

Few pix: https://postimg.org/gallery/ffzm3cak/

Stand hits the rod on full suspension extension i.e on the propstand ...or in mid air! Relieved the stand pad in that area & slipped a rubber sleeve onto the rod as belt & braces. Will braze a bigger "foot" onto the trimmed pad extending outwards to restore a decent footprint on that side.
The underguard is just a lump of plastic so no bling factor attached. I think a cross-bar shield may be a little too far forward but its worth a look. The guards purpose appears to be keeping chain lube off the fat tyre judging by the layer on mine.
The threaded insert is like a small Rawlbolt & once the screw undoes it can be tapped out from the other side with a length of 10mm rod. The long through bolt is overlong by about 2cm so plenty of room for another nut & a home made guide for the pipes....which I dont appear to have any of.
The operating leg on the drive side sticks out a good way and with high level pipes looks odd so thats for a trim to finish the job off. Other than that it blends in quite well I think.

Flip
09-03-2017, 11:47 PM
I found these guys today & it looks like a buyer...

https://www.zero-limits.co.uk/product/33883/ducati-monster-95-07-bikini-fairing

Not mega expensive & should blend in with the rest of the bike.

Doesn't the 900Sie have the earlier type fairing as standard?

Despite the year range in the advert for the Zero Limits one it looks like the later shape to me.

Of the earlier shapes there were three or four variants, the original one that was fitted to many bikes such as the one my 900 came with. I managed to get a NOS carbon one from the States last year which I paid £42 for inc. postage so there is hope.

I already have a carbon seat cowl tucked away so just need to track down a carbon belly pan for all the bodywork to be the black(ish) stuff then.

http://i1372.photobucket.com/albums/ag329/fluke900/IMG_9305_zpsj3ane8j9.jpg (http://s1372.photobucket.com/user/fluke900/media/IMG_9305_zpsj3ane8j9.jpg.html)

This shape currently on the 'bay which is also listed in the accessories catalogue my bike was supplied with back in '97:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ducati-Performance-Front-Headlight-Fairing-Carbon-Monster-99-/122370141888?hash=item1c7dd42ec0:g:UDwAAOSwWTRW1aO k

And of course the ones which were later fitted to the S4 'Challenge' bikes- I had mine painted (leaving some carbon showing around the top as it blends to the screen) to match the seat cowl and cut a hole in it for a single projector light:

http://i1372.photobucket.com/albums/ag329/fluke900/Spinney_zps1ivbxfsf.jpg (http://s1372.photobucket.com/user/fluke900/media/Spinney_zps1ivbxfsf.jpg.html)

Again, they are in my old accessories catalogue (along with the 'Challenge seat humps) as they were originally produced for a single make Italian race series way back then:

http://i1372.photobucket.com/albums/ag329/fluke900/IMG_9137_zpsudjmc3j4.jpg (http://s1372.photobucket.com/user/fluke900/media/IMG_9137_zpsudjmc3j4.jpg.html)

norvin998
10-03-2017, 01:00 PM
Doesn't the 900Sie have the earlier type fairing as standard?

Yes but mine has a chunk of paint missing & is cracked through its depth where it was hit by a half brick!

Ordered the "Zero" one, very nice people to deal with who measured their version up for me. Should be here on Monday.

Flip
12-03-2017, 09:40 AM
Yes but mine has a chunk of paint missing & is cracked through its depth where it was hit by a half brick!

Ordered the "Zero" one, very nice people to deal with who measured their version up for me. Should be here on Monday.

Yes I understood your original one was damaged- I was simply saying that there were differences between the earlier bikes and the later (ST framed) Monsters in case you wanted to keep it looking the same- plus the fact the later fairings don't fit the earlier brackets and vice-versa.